Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 07-04-2019, 05:12 PM   #46
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
Happy July 4th to our American members!

I’ve had a tough time with this theme. And honestly, most of the nominations sound kinda heavy to me, and /or require more work than I can muster in this heat. So I’m going to lighten up the choices by stealing an idea from CRussel.

I nominate the first Nero Wolfe, Fer-de-Lance. It’s available in my library (overdrive?), and can be had in US kindle for $7.94.
In Kobo it is: $9 Canada; $5 US; and $10.22 Aud.
In my library too, available now, and the audio book, narrated by Michael Pritchard (one of my favourites) has only a 2 week wait (and is no longer available from Audible at all.) OK, I'll second it. It's a short read (~300 pages).

(Note: the US Kindle price is actually $4.99. You're seeing an artifact of how they've changed their US pricing for Canadian customers. Annoying!)
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 05:17 PM   #47
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I've come close to nominating this other months when it could fit, so I shall be watching this with interest, also.

Enjoy a well-earned vacation!
Thanks! I've thought about nominating this book in the past too but held back because I thought maybe others had read it. Someday I intend to read it!
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 05:36 PM   #48
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
I'm going to be in Banff for a few days here soon, hopefully the price stays. There are a few other books I need to grab while I'm up there too.
Oh, lucky you! I visited the Canadian Rockies, including Banff, once and I'd love to go back. So gorgeous!
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 06:02 PM   #49
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Happy July 4th to our American members!

I’ve had a tough time with this theme. And honestly, several of the nominations sound kinda heavy to me, and /or require more work than I can muster in this heat. So I’m going to lighten up the choices by stealing an idea from CRussel.

I nominate the first Nero Wolfe, Fer-de-Lance. It’s available in my library (overdrive?), and can be had in US kindle for $7.94.
In Kobo it is: $9 Canada; $5 US; and $10.22 Aud.
Thank you!

And I admit, I'm a sucker for books set in New York.
Old 07-04-2019, 07:49 PM   #50
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
Quote:
Me too - I love New York!
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 08:56 PM   #51
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
For what it's worth, this is not fantasy. And is the start of what is, by far, her best and most important series. I have mixed reactions to her other books -- some I like, a lot, some not so much. But this book (and the eponymous series it spawned) have been among my favourites.
Oh, I should have looked closer. Everything else I've read of hers has been fantasy and so I had that stuck in my head despite what you had said in the nomination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
You have my undying gratitude for not nominating a John Irving book.
Quote:
I also considered Carrie; I liked the first few Stephen King novels before souring on him, and have thought it would be fun to revisit Carrie via audiobook one of these days.
We're even. I have absolutely no desire to revisit Carrie.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 09:08 PM   #52
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Thank you!

Quote:
Me too - I love New York!
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, anyone?
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 06:57 AM   #53
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
One of those books I read over and over until I'd nearly memorized it.

As for the nominations, there isn't a book here that I wouldn't like to see make it to the poll, but we're running out of available nominations unless someone else shows up. Right now, it seems we'll have a lot of old maids.
Old 07-05-2019, 02:38 PM   #54
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Definitely It’s been on my tbr list for ages. (Definitely not Carrie - I value my sleep ).

Last edited by Victoria; 07-05-2019 at 02:40 PM.
Old 07-05-2019, 05:17 PM   #55
Victoria
Wizard

Quote:
Quote:
One of those books I read over and over until I'd nearly memorized it.

As for the nominations, there isn't a book here that I wouldn't like to see make it to the poll, but we're running out of available nominations unless someone else shows up. Right now, it seems we'll have a lot of old maids.
I’ve been trying not to spend all my votes on the first day, as I did the first few months. For my last vote, I third I Am A Cat - it’s sounds intriguing and something I would never have been introduced to on my own.

Last edited by Victoria; 07-05-2019 at 05:21 PM.
Old 07-05-2019, 11:31 PM   #56
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
I think I have one left and since I still have signal I will third Fer de Lance.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 06:56 AM   #57
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
I think I have one left and since I still have signal I will third Fer de Lance.
If you, or anyone else, who can't be online during the voting would like, I'd be happy to add your votes to the poll. Just PM me with your choices any time before the poll is up.
Old 07-06-2019, 09:48 AM   #58
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I'll third Every Day Is Mother's Day.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 07:06 AM   #59
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Nominations are closed and the poll is up.