Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-20-2012, 11:15 AM   #46
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Having used both touch and non-touch Kindles, dictionary lookup is MUCH easier on the touch models. Just tap and hold the word for about half a second, lift your finger, and the definition appears at the bottom or top of the screen. Of course there are other reasons to choose the non-touch Kindle if you prefer to use physical buttons to turn the page!
Have you actually timed it including finger movement? Subjectively at least it feels more efficient to use the button.

"easier" can mean a lot of things so I will not say anything about that.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:28 AM   #47
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
I have 2 e-readers I use. I think the Sony is the best for the dictionary, fonts & ease of holding, but it's store is not to my liking. Therefore I use my Kindle touch more. Which saddens me because I think Sony's store could be so much better. Still I'm satisfied with my Kindle Touch.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2012, 11:29 AM   #48
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacty View Post
fair enough. i have never have any first hand experience with anything else but kobo and it makes me thinking...kobo reliability and stability of software looks amateurish compared to other ebook readers? but, reading some other threds no ebr is free of its own problems including various software bugs...
I don't have any experience with the Kobo, unfortunately, so I can't compare, but there is no reset hole or button on Kindles, and I think I read that some Kobos have them, which makes me think they need them.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:38 AM   #49
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
The Kindle is extremely stable and bug-free, but the Kobo does have more options to allow you to tweak the appearance of your book.
As stable and polished as it might be, I can guarantee you that it's not "bug free". There ain't such thing in software, maybe with the exception of the "Hello word" program.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:14 PM   #50
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Note, iPad Mini, PocketEdge(retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
As stable and polished as it might be, I can guarantee you that it's not "bug free". There ain't such thing in software, maybe with the exception of the "Hello word" program.
Bug Report: Hello World

Name of Reporter: 5thWiggle
Version or Build: Alpha 0.01
Module or component: Main
Platform / Operating System: All
Type of error: text error
Priority: 1
Severity: 1
Assigned to: AFV011
Summary: Misspelling of word "world"

Last edited by 5thWiggle; 12-20-2012 at 12:16 PM.
5thWiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2012, 12:15 PM   #51
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
That's a buggy version of "Hello World", is it?

But seriously, as a professional programmer of 30+ years experience, I'm well aware that no non-trivial software is bug free. But equally, I can say that while the Kindle may exhibit the occasional quirk, as can any device, in all the time I've used a Kindle it's never, ever, actually crashed, and I can't say that with any of the (many) other readers I've owned (the worst by far being the Bookeen CyBook Opus, which would crash literally every 10 minutes in its earliest firmware versions.)
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:20 PM   #52
llcj
Addict
llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
I don't have any experience with the Kobo, unfortunately, so I can't compare, but there is no reset hole or button on Kindles, and I think I read that some Kobos have them, which makes me think they need them.
Kindle does have a factory reset, does it not? I'm sure I've seen people recommend this in the Kindle forum when people have various problems with their Kindles. Or am I mistaken?
llcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:25 PM   #53
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by llcj View Post
Kindle does have a factory reset, does it not? I'm sure I've seen people recommend this in the Kindle forum when people have various problems with their Kindles. Or am I mistaken?
Yes, the Kindle has both a reboot (hold the power slider for 20s or so) and a "Factory Reset". The only time I've ever used "Factory Reset" is when I've sold a Kindle.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 01:23 PM   #54
llcj
Addict
llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Yes, the Kindle has both a reboot (hold the power slider for 20s or so) and a "Factory Reset". The only time I've ever used "Factory Reset" is when I've sold a Kindle.
Never had to use it either.

Last edited by llcj; 12-20-2012 at 01:26 PM. Reason: Clarity
llcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 03:00 PM   #55
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thWiggle View Post
Bug Report: Hello World

Name of Reporter: 5thWiggle
Version or Build: Alpha 0.01
Module or component: Main
Platform / Operating System: All
Type of error: text error
Priority: 1
Severity: 1
Assigned to: AFV011
Summary: Misspelling of word "world"

There you go, as if you needed more proof that bug-free software is just a fantasy
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 03:41 PM   #56
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
I'm extremely satisfied with the Kindle. Extremely stable (it's never crashed). Does exactly what I want. Excellent dictionaries. Great bookstore. When I'm reading I don't want to be distracted with e-mail, web browsing, etc. If I want that, I'll use my iPad.
I agree. The Kindle is very good at its job. Could it be better? Maybe, but adding more and more functions on is like starting with a pocket knife and adding on this and that. Eventually it becomes difficult to use it for its intended purpose. If something is supposed to be a dedicated ereader why add more and more stuff onto it? Just concentrate on making the ereader more efficient at its job. Thinks like an improved cataloging system for example. Leave other stuff to the tablet makers.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:33 PM   #57
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
A couple times a week, my Kindle Keyboard 3G either needs a reset, or resets on its own.

One reason may be that I take it everywhere, including, twice daily, the underground/metro/subway. I try to be gentle, and to close the book before closing the Kindle-brand cover, but do not always succeed.

The resets are not because of having a bad unit, as mine has been replaced three times.

Sometimes I have closed the cover and had it mysteriously start playing music. So keys can be pressed by the case as well as fingers. One improvement could be to only recognize keypresses when the case is open.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 01:52 AM   #58
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
OMG. I thought it was perfect all this time. Now you have me worried.

I always get worried when I see a chute hanging on the wall.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 05:25 AM   #59
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Sounds like different strokes for different folks. For me, on the ipad, both the iBook app and Kindle app work just fine as book readers. I also use the kindle fire, the Sony PRS-T2 and have used the Sony 500, 505 and original kindle. All work fine for the intended purpose, i.e. to read books. Since most of my reading is on the iPad, I'll limit my comments to that.

I switch between the iBook and Kindle app, though mostly read with the iBook app simply because it does a better job of organizing my books (no idea why Amazon hasn't put collections into the Kindle app or kindle fire). Once I'm in a book, I just want the app to get out of the way, and both apps do that just fine. I like that they both sync between devices (I carry the fire to lunch, so I tend to read books that I read at lunch in the kindle app, then sync with the fire). I can't think of a single book reading feature that I would want that I don't already have.

What I really want is an app that does a better job of allowing me to organize books, keeps track of which books I've read and which ones I haven't. Some of the other book reading apps make a go of doing that (Kobo for example), but they also have so many other bells and whistles that I don't find the book reading, once I'm in the book, as smooth as iBook or Kindle. Nor do they handle the number of books that I have well.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:53 AM   #60
DeeEs
DeeEs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DeeEs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DeeEs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DeeEs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DeeEs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DeeEs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DeeEs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DeeEs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DeeEs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DeeEs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DeeEs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad/iPhone
I would need a very cheap reader with a good eInk and nothing else for the holidays. Then it would be possible to leave it on the sunlounger and to go swimming without having to keep an eye on it the whole time. It is like the mp3-player. I bought a cheap one for the holidays - quite ugly, but not stolen, yet.
DeeEs is offline   Reply With Quote