Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-19-2018, 02:14 PM   #1
TheArtfulDodger
Zealot
TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kobo Touch, Kindle, Nook Touch
Question A Question About Column Types

Hello, All:

I was just about to add a new custom column "Read Order" which would allow me to keep track of recommended reading order for a series of books by the same author. I wondered if somewhere there is an explanation of the various column types? Specifically, I wondered what the type: "Text column for keeping series-like information" does? I chose that type and entered a '1'. It came out as a "1 [1]". When I added more, I got "2 [1]" and 3 [1]. I obviously don't understand what this type is doing and I could not find anything either in here or in the manual to explain it.

Thanks in advance.

Sparky
TheArtfulDodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 02:59 PM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
That column acts like the Series Column in Calibre. It has two parts - a text part that is the name of the series, and a numeric part that is the number within the series.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2018, 05:27 PM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArtfulDodger View Post
Hello, All:

I was just about to add a new custom column "Read Order" which would allow me to keep track of recommended reading order for a series of books by the same author. I wondered if somewhere there is an explanation of the various column types? Specifically, I wondered what the type: "Text column for keeping series-like information" does? I chose that type and entered a '1'. It came out as a "1 [1]". When I added more, I got "2 [1]" and 3 [1]. I obviously don't understand what this type is doing and I could not find anything either in here or in the manual to explain it.
I'm not aware of any 'official' explanatory documentation. The column type names along with the fields they contain (and their tool tips) are pretty self explanatory.

The built-in Series field would appear to do exactly what you want. Books intended to be read as episodic serials usually have a Series name and a number e.g. C.S. Lewis' The Chronicles of Narnia.

Some episodic series don't have official Series names e.g. I've seen Mantel's Wolf Hall, Bring up the Bodies, and The Mirror and the Light referred to as her "Wolf Hall" series, her "Henry VIII" series, and her "Thomas Cromwell" series. I use the last one, people who came to the books via the television mini-series would probably use the first.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote