Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-03-2011, 03:07 PM   #16
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Tingle View Post
No one has to use them, and if the creator doesn't want one, so be it. But if there is one it needs to be properly linked and at the end of the file.
I always have mine at the start, immediately after the title page, just like in a paper book.

Quote:
But if your're going to provide a TOC, when you hit the menu button and choose TOC, it should take you to the correct part of the file.
Yes, certainly it should.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 03:57 PM   #17
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ransom View Post
I've noticed several comments in book reviews at Amazon where people were complaining about this e-book or that not containing a hyperlinked (working) TOC, only to be chided by later reviewers saying that he/she has to scroll down to the TOC.
A lot of this is down to the antiquated format used by the Kindle, but at least some of it is due to the (sadly predictable) laziness of the technicians formatting the books. Any book that contains more than a couple of sections should have a ToC, even fiction (if you're discussing a book with someone else and he says 'Oh, but in Chapter 43 Ned Stark revealed the depth of his consuming hatred for the Lannisters, and how it coloured all his acts,' then you'll want to be able to find that chapter quickly.

That ToC needs to be in a reliable place that can be accessed quickly. In print books that's at the front of the book, in ePubs it needs one or two clicks, in mobipocket it should be in a certain place, but often isn't. This is pure laziness, but it's also the fault of the format itself.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2011, 04:37 PM   #18
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No, the Mobi format uses exactly the same way of defining the location of the TOC that ePub does: the "toc" item in the "guide" section of the OPF file. Don't blame the format for the ignorance of some book creators.
Old 07-03-2011, 05:01 PM   #19
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No it doesn't Harry, and you should know that. The guide section of the opf is completely optional: "Reading Systems are not required to use the guide element in any way." The .ncx and the generated ToC it provides is NOT optional: "Reading Systems must support NCX. "
Old 07-03-2011, 05:20 PM   #20
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

The device must support it, yes, but there's no obligation on a book creator to use it; that was my meaning. Neither a Mobi file nor an ePub HAS to have a TOC, but both CAN have one.
Advert
Old 07-03-2011, 05:25 PM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The device must support it, yes, but there's no obligation on a book creator to use it; that was my meaning. Neither a Mobi file nor an ePub HAS to have a TOC, but both CAN have one.
This is true, but because of Amazon, ePub now has two ToC. The internal one we don't want and we don't need and we should never have and the external ToC that we do want and we should have and we may need.

The conversion software that convert from ePub to Mobipocket botches the conversion from toc.ncx to an internal ToC. Thus, publishers are forced to have an internal ToC. This is clearly wrong and Amazon is to blame for the bug in their conversion software.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 05:29 PM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
Personally, I kinda like having the ToC entry in the text that is linked. If you're going to have it, may as well be linked. If I see something I want to goto in the ToC, I want to jump right to it. If it isn't linked, then I have to jump back out of the text, then goto the ToC menu. What really pisses me off is when there is no ToC metadata (so nothing appears in the menu) and the inline ToC list is not linked.
The thing is, the link would only be for the chapter header. So if you are in the middle of a chapter, it's a lot easier to bring up the external ToC then it is to find a link or find the internal ToC. It takes me three presses to go to the external ToC from anyplace inside the book. That is not what I would call a hardship. But having the Chapter header linked back to an internal ToC does not look as nice as not having that link. Also, it takes extra screen turns to get past the internal ToC. And in some eBooks that have a very large number of chapters, that can be a lot of extra page turns. If we don't need/want to use the ToC, the external ToC does not get in the way at all. If we do need/want to use it, the external ToC is better.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 05:55 PM   #23
charleski
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That's a rather different statement to "the Mobi format uses exactly the same way of defining the location of the TOC that ePub does" - which is wrong.

The problem is that the .mobi format relies on the html defined in the guide rather than taking on the (pretty trivial) burden of managing navigation itself. It makes it easier for ebook technicians to be lazy - I use the term 'technician' to denote the lowest class of data operative here, because that's who it seems publishers generally use to create ebooks.

I'll agree that the problem is shared. It's possible to produce semi-decent books in the .mobi format, but it's easier to produce crappy ones. ePub is far from perfect, but it makes it a bit harder to produce a fundamentally defective book.
Old 07-03-2011, 06:20 PM   #24
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I like having a working TOC that I can goto no matter where it is. It allows me to see how many chapters a book has (or to see how close I am to the end) and depending on the format (chapter x or a title for the chapter) I can sometimes get an idea where the story is heading. At the very least I get intrigued by the imaginative titles for the seperate chapters. For example if a chapter is titled "The Surprise" I might wonder is it a good surprise or a bad one? Who is going to be surprised? etc. which I think is part of the fun of a book.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 12:41 AM   #25
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
I personally like a linked internal TOC... it's very easy to pop around in a book with one and actually faster for me on both my Nook and my Sony than using the "go to" menu.

I also like seeing exactly how many chapters there are. Maybe I'm just used to print books, but I like having my internal table of contents.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 03:35 PM   #26
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
I personally like a linked internal TOC... it's very easy to pop around in a book with one and actually faster for me on both my Nook and my Sony than using the "go to" menu.

I also like seeing exactly how many chapters there are. Maybe I'm just used to print books, but I like having my internal table of contents.
Just curious, how do you get to the TOC on the Sony without using the Goto button? I actually looked for this function in my Sony 600 while reading a non fiction book once and couldn't find it.

Knowing how many chapters is probably a good thing, me I just go by number of pages left as I can see that at a glance and don't have to depend on my memory

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 03:43 PM   #27
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
I like having both solutions just because each eReader handles the TOC navigation differently having both solutions enables navigation on the different readers.

that said my l my preference is the external TOC.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 06:41 PM   #28
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
I find the TOC useful for novels and here's why: I really hate thinking there are 50 pages left in the book, only to find that the books ends suddenly and then there are 40 pages of "discussion guide" and other stuff. So now I like to check the TOC, sometimes when I start a book and sometimes in the middle, to make sure the ending is where I think it is, without having to peek at the last pages.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 08:53 PM   #29
Jeff L
Zealot
Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
There is also the issue of interface design and human factors engineering.

Given that many people don't even know that an ebook doesn't necessarily open at the first page (which is why many of them never see the inline TOC), a simpler, more intuitive design is better for the general public.

An inline TOC towards the beginning of the ebook is something which most people would understand.

Placing a function behind a button is a sure way to make it hidden for many users. As a former sysadmin, I have many tiresome examples of this.
Jeff L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 09:03 PM   #30
Ransom
Banned
Ransom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle-3
You and me think alike Jeff. Gosh you must be smart!

Kindle's way of getting to the meta-Toc is a bit of a chore. First push one button, then another, then another. That's gotta be a big pain for people who aren't very well schooled in the "multi-fucntional button discipline."
Ransom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
e-books, table of contents