Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 01-29-2011, 06:19 AM   #1
Brazz
Brazz began at the beginning.

Device: iTouch
Error on epubcheck

I'm getting an error on epubcheck. it says: WARNING: My Book.epub: item (iTunesMetadata.plist) exists in the zip file, but is not declared in the OPF file.

I have no idea what this means. This is my first attempt at publishing an ebook. Any suggestions?
Brazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 08:08 AM   #2
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW

Welcome to Mobileread ....

I'll get this post moved to the ePub Forum and someone will answer

- At first glance at your error it suggests that a file exists but you have no specific reference to the file in the .opf. Each and every file in the epub/zip folder must be mentioned in the .opf.

See this in our Wiki ...
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2011, 10:19 AM   #3
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
That particular fie gets dumped in by the iTunes processing. It shouldn't, of course, but that's Apple. I think Liz Castro discusses this problem on her blog. You may have search a bit, but reading the whole thing is not wasted time.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 12:23 PM   #4
DMSmillie
Enquiring Mind
DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kindle 3 (WiFi)
Yes, that file gets added to an ePub if you view it using iPad, iTouch, etc, or if you run it through the iTunes publishing application.

Simplest solution would be to change the .epub file extension to .zip, open the zip file, find and delete the iTunesMetadata.plist file from the zip archive, close the zip file, then rename the extension back to .epub.

If you want to view/check an ePub on an Apple device, best to make a copy of the ePub and view that, so that the original remains untouched and doesn't get that iTunesMetadata.plist file added to it.
DMSmillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 06:36 AM   #5
MignonK
MignonK can extract oil from cheeseMignonK can extract oil from cheeseMignonK can extract oil from cheeseMignonK can extract oil from cheeseMignonK can extract oil from cheeseMignonK can extract oil from cheeseMignonK can extract oil from cheeseMignonK can extract oil from cheeseMignonK can extract oil from cheese

Device: none
I too just got that same error:
"iTunesMetadata.plist exists in the zip file, but is not declared in the OPF file"

I omitted the file and my ePub validates. And will be looking at both versions (with and without) later today on an iPad. Question: If I wanted to include it in the .OPF file, how is that done?

Thank you.
MignonK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2011, 03:17 AM   #6
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Karma to Donna for suggesting a way to prevent the insertion of the file, and to Mignon for asking how to get ePubCheck to accept it.

By the way, FlightCrew doesn't object to the thing.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote