Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-25-2018, 11:26 AM   #16
steven168
Zealot
steven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1 & 3
isn't it better to use Adobe Digital Editions instead?

https://www.adobe.com/sea/solutions/.../download.html
steven168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 12:57 PM   #17
BrickyBrian
Connoisseur
BrickyBrian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BrickyBrian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BrickyBrian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BrickyBrian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BrickyBrian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BrickyBrian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BrickyBrian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BrickyBrian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BrickyBrian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BrickyBrian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BrickyBrian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Looking for vendors of specific subjects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddz View Post
As explained previously, it depends on where you plan on obtaining your ebooks from and what format they will be in. I would suggest you research your sources first and then come back and ask about specific formats and whether the books will have DRM and where you plan on obtaining them from.
Many thanks for the information/advice. I have started looking for where I might be able to obtain the type of E-Book that I need starting by inputting a title or a subject matter but with little success. I then looked for User forums of particular E-Book vendors as the vendors I have looked at so far do not operate effective help facilities.
This will all take a little time but I live in hope. This whole search is most enjoyable especially looking at the far distance places that forum members work or live.
BrickyBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2018, 12:57 PM   #18
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven168 View Post

Some people don't trust Adobe even though they swear they've mended tbeir ways.

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20...computer.shtml
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 01:00 PM   #19
BrickyBrian
Connoisseur
BrickyBrian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BrickyBrian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BrickyBrian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BrickyBrian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BrickyBrian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BrickyBrian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BrickyBrian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BrickyBrian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BrickyBrian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BrickyBrian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BrickyBrian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven168 View Post
I started to reply to your thread and then recognized that I had confused Adobe with Amazon so I looked at "https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20...computer.shtml"
The first answer that came up was, "Even Powering Down A Cell Phone Can't Keep The NSA From Tracking Its Location"

I'm not sure what that has to do with, "Adobe Digital Editions instead?" especially as looking at what Adobe Digital Editions are I see that it's an ebook reader software program from Adobe Systems, built initially using Adobe Flash and is used for acquiring, managing, and reading eBooks, digital newspapers, and other digital publications.

Last edited by BrickyBrian; 03-25-2018 at 01:13 PM.
Old 03-25-2018, 01:15 PM   #20
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
http://downloadofflineinstaller.com/...44025_id_17419

ONCE you Download Open the app got to TOOLS> Click on Do Not Update. IF it still asks you to update just click on NO.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2018, 02:03 PM   #21
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Regarding the type of books you're looking for, you really are better off doing this kind of research at a library.

Are you located in the UK? If so, you could either use Overdrive for ebooks or go to the main libraries in your town for the physical book. I realise that libraries in the UK now have restricted opening times. I live in Birmingham where they built a state of the art library building then sacked most of the staff and only open it for a couple of hours a day. Stupid, I know, but there's very little choice when doing academic research involving books which are very expensive to buy, whether as ebooks or paper books.

Would you mind disclosing your country? It might help. It would also help if you said where you're getting your books from, I'm assuming you're using legal sources.

Last edited by BookCat; 03-25-2018 at 02:06 PM.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 03:17 PM   #22
BrickyBrian
Connoisseur

I have just copied all of the points made to my request for help taking five pages of A4 as shown on my computer so that I can create a program point by point.
My thanks to all of you who have shared knowledge gained over the years and which offers me many short cuts.
I guess that my first step will be to find an E-Book covering something I'm looking for at the moment and just start working out how to make it work. I hope that at least there will be a few relating to British 19th and 20th century Political history so yet again, many thanks.
Old 03-25-2018, 04:03 PM   #23
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
I studied that period of British History many years ago for A level, also Russian History (from the emancipation of the serfs to just after WWII.) It was so long ago that I don't remember the books we used, but if you want any help I'll try to dig up some sources. I doubt these will be available as ebooks though.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 05:28 PM   #24
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrickyBrian View Post
I have just copied all of the points made to my request for help taking five pages of A4 as shown on my computer so that I can create a program point by point.
My thanks to all of you who have shared knowledge gained over the years and which offers me many short cuts.
I guess that my first step will be to find an E-Book covering something I'm looking for at the moment and just start working out how to make it work. I hope that at least there will be a few relating to British 19th and 20th century Political history so yet again, many thanks.
Try this one:

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/18993
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 05:41 PM   #25
maddz
Wizard
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Icarus, iPad Mini 2, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
I studied that period of British History many years ago for A level, also Russian History (from the emancipation of the serfs to just after WWII.) It was so long ago that I don't remember the books we used, but if you want any help I'll try to dig up some sources. I doubt these will be available as ebooks though.
You'd be surprised. I've noticed a number of older history books (1970s) coming up in the Venture Press lists so it's worth keeping an eye on Amazon (especially Amazon.co.uk). What we don't know is where the OP is based, so it's difficult to suggest specific sources given geo-restrictions on ebooks. I'm assuming it's somewhere in the English-speaking world given that the OP's written English is good but equally it could be that the OP has excellent English skills.

Of course, older academic works may well not be available in ebook, but there are some university presses that run regular give-aways - there's one of the Danish universities (often in English) which frequently appears in the Non-Fiction bargains thread, and there's been some give-aways from the University of Chicago Press.
maddz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 12:51 AM   #26
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
I started to reply to your thread and then recognized that I had confused Adobe with Amazon so I looked at "https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20...computer.shtml"
The first answer that came up was, "Even Powering Down A Cell Phone Can't Keep The NSA From Tracking Its Location"

I'm not sure what that has to do with, "Adobe Digital Editions instead?" especially as looking at what Adobe Digital Editions are I see that it's an ebook reader software program from Adobe Systems, built initially using Adobe Flash and is used for acquiring, managing, and reading eBooks, digital newspapers, and other digital publications.
Interesting. The headline I see when I click on the link is: Is Adobe's Ebook Reader Spying On What You Read -- And What You Have On Your Computer? which pretty much says it all. And you don't do a Google or other search on the link, you simply click on the link to open it (preferably in another tab or window) And yes, as the story says, ADE was sending information to Adobe with no encryption so anyone could see the data going by. The Ars Technica link is Adobe’s e-book reader sends your reading logs back to Adobe—in plain text [Updated]. This is why my computer still has adelogs.adobe.com in the hosts file pointing to 127.0.0.1 to block such antics.

As for ADE? It is also used to download Adobe Content Server DRMed files from libraries, Google Play, Kobo when downloading DRMed content to your computer and most other sources of DRMed epub and PDF files (the acquiring part of the description). You may or may not have noticed that quite often you don't get send an epub or pdf file but rather a filename.acsm (Adobe Content Server Message) file which allows you to download the actual file along with other information such as the file expiry date.

One other item is that when you add a link using the Insert Link tool, if you don't modify the text portion of the link, the display will be shortened where you see the ... inserted in the link.

Is Adobe's Ebook Reader Spying On What You Read -- And What You Have On Your Computer?

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20...computer.shtml

Last edited by DNSB; 03-26-2018 at 12:56 AM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 02:26 AM   #27
steven168
Zealot
steven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1 & 3
Quote:

i use Adobe Digital Editions 3.0 instead.

all DRM ebooks isn't it use Adobe DRM, so no mattar which apps they still know isn't it?

i use OverDrive Library so i use Adobe ID

Last edited by steven168; 03-26-2018 at 02:28 AM.
steven168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 11:21 AM   #28
ekbell
Guru
ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
This thread Open/Free University/Academic Presses has links to a number of sites with free academic works, all without DRM.

For example, here are the European History Public Access books at UC Press which can be read using your browser https://publishing.cdlib.org/ucpress...e&brand=eschol
ekbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 07:20 PM   #29
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Quote:
When I am studying I find that as soon as I take my eyes from the book and look at the computer screen I forget what I had just read. This might be to do with the dyslexia I experience.
I then started to scan a page that I required pasting it onto my computer to use as an aide-memoire. I hope that being able to load an E Book onto my computer would relieve me of that task.
Exposing my absolute lack of E Book technology suggests to me that I don’t even need an E Book reader such as a Kindle. However, I assume that depends upon the application that the E Book is built with. I have a couple of questions:
Will I be able to open whatever EBook I buy on my computer or do I require a “specific reader” for each type of EBook?
There appears to be a large number of “Free” E Books and I placed, “Free” in inverts because as soon as I opened one up I found that it was far from free. I should make it clear that I have no objection to paying for E Books but would anyone care to say what “Free” E Book sites are worth looking at. In fact what commercial E Book sites are worth looking at?
Many thanks in anticipation.

getting an ereader will help with you being distracted. PC reading will be distracting
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 07:30 PM   #30
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
getting an ereader will help with you being distracted. PC reading will be distracting
Maybe for YOU it is distracting. For me however, I read 90% of my ebooks on my pc, and don't get distracted at all. The other 10% is done of my phone, which is in airplane mode, which means no distracting there either.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote