Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-09-2011, 06:15 AM   #1
karl_k
karl_k began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle4
Auto-Wake-on-time ?

Hi all !

I have calibre download news from a local newspaper every night. Its running on my server which is always on.

I understand that i can wake the kindle and pull the newspaper on my kindle via the calibre webserver.

I wonder if this could be automated. i.e. The standby/off kindle wakes at 5:30 am and fetches the newspaper via wifi from the server, then goes back to standby.

Is "wake on time" possible in the kindles ?

Thanks,
Cheers,
Karl
karl_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 07:42 AM   #2
seaniko7
wannabe developer
seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kindle: 2xKeyboard, Classic, 2xTouch, 2xPW, PW2; Onyx: Boox M92
Thats easy. Simply edit cron to execute at certain time shell script which will simulate power button/slider press.

Another way is to create same shell script with endless loop and 24 hour delay between simulating key press.

Cheers
seaniko7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 07:48 AM   #3
karl_k

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaniko7 View Post
Thats easy. Simply edit cron to execute at certain time shell script which will simulate power button/slider press.

Another way is to create same shell script with endless loop and 24 hour delay between simulating key press.

Cheers
So cron/script will run even when the kindle is in sleep/poweroff ???
Old 12-09-2011, 10:51 AM   #4
seaniko7
wannabe developer
seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kindle: 2xKeyboard, Classic, 2xTouch, 2xPW, PW2; Onyx: Boox M92
Obviously it wont work when your kindle is powered off, because you would need wake on lan functionality then. While in sleep state kindle can execute scripts without issues.
seaniko7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 11:44 AM   #5
karl_k

Quote:
Obviously it wont work when your kindle is powered off, because you would need wake on lan functionality then. While in sleep state kindle can execute scripts without issues.
Well, computer bioses have the ability to power on at a certain time, but i guess thats not possible with the kindles.

So one would just keep the kindle in sleep mode instead of power-off.
How long does a K4 last in sleep mode with a full battery ?

Edit: Ok, reading up on that it seems the kindle is basically never powered off, its always running even in sleep mode. Thats super-cool, so the "pull news at 5:30am" just needs some shell scripting !

Thanks seaniko7,
Cheers!

Last edited by karl_k; 12-09-2011 at 11:49 AM.
Old 12-09-2011, 02:18 PM   #6
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:

Cheers
Instead of simulating a slider button, which could also put an awake kindle into sleep mode, a kindle framework startup script uses the following "wakeUp" command to erase the screensaver on startup:

lipc-set-prop com.lab126.powerd wakeUp 1

I tested this command with SSH shell on a kindle keyboard 3G, and on a kindle DX. It wakes them from sleep mode. If the kindle is already awake, this command just displays an error message. It should work fine in a cron script.

Last edited by geekmaster; 12-09-2011 at 02:31 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 07:45 AM   #7
kt23
kt23 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Instead of simulating a slider button, which could also put an awake kindle into sleep mode, a kindle framework startup script uses the following "wakeUp" command to erase the screensaver on startup:

lipc-set-prop com.lab126.powerd wakeUp 1

I tested this command with SSH shell on a kindle keyboard 3G, and on a kindle DX. It wakes them from sleep mode. If the kindle is already awake, this command just displays an error message. It should work fine in a cron script.

great work!
kt23 is offline   Reply With Quote