Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-05-2008, 01:32 PM   #1
rheostaticsfan
Zealot
rheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enough

Device: kindle, iOS, Blackberry, Sony DPT (pdfs)
anyone worried about US borders wrt ebooks?

With seizures and looking for "illegal files" is anyone worried for their ebooks? Their readers? Their de-DRMed books?

I'm considering a trip to the US and am wondering what the risk REALLY is...
rheostaticsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 01:40 PM   #2
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by rheostaticsfan View Post
With seizures and looking for "illegal files" is anyone worried for their ebooks? Their readers? Their de-DRMed books?

Have come back into U.S. two times since I started carrying my ebook reader, once from Canada by car and once by air, plus one domestic air flight. No problems. I just leave my ebook reader, turned off, in my purse and run it through security scan - no problems.
Can't imagine that immigration/customs would even understand about drm and undrm books.
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-05-2008, 01:47 PM   #3
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Don't worry about it, but be sure you don't have anything illegal on there - a good rule to live by!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 01:47 PM   #4
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:

No ... and what's a "wrt"??
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 02:04 PM   #5
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
No ... and what's a "wrt"??
(W)ith (R)egard (T)o.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-05-2008, 02:19 PM   #6
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I thought it was a skin growth...
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 02:21 PM   #7
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
(W)ith (R)egard (T)o.

Derek
Ah, one of the hazards of opening up the site to mobile users. We have to learn a whole new set of acronyms. By the way, the new mobile user version of the site is now available in case anyone didn't know.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 03:47 PM   #8
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
(W)ith (R)egard (T)o.

Derek
oooooooooh

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
I thought it was a skin growth...
That's where my mind was wandering as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Ah, one of the hazards of opening up the site to mobile users. We have to learn a whole new set of acronyms. By the way, the new mobile user version of the site is now available in case anyone didn't know.

Dale

Oh, goody!! New acronyms!! What fun (??)
Old 08-05-2008, 04:32 PM   #9
rheostaticsfan
Zealot
rheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enough

Device: kindle, iOS, Blackberry, Sony DPT (pdfs)
I'm very sorry for using a TLA (Three Letter Acronym). That was very bad form.

So, no one is worried?
rheostaticsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 04:53 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Not worried at all. I've taken my 500 and now 505 with me and nobody ever checks the content. it just goes in my bad through the scanner and I'm all set. And I've even gone out of the country.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 05:07 PM   #11
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Are we going to start having to carry receipts for everything on our PCs when we do border crossings? How do they even know if you have stuff that violates a copyright? You could have ripped stuff from CD's, or even OCRed a book that you own, or heck, typed it in by hand.

Perhaps TrueCrypt is the way to go. I think a recent ruling said they couldn't compel the guy to give away his password.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 05:15 PM   #12
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
I'm not worried about it but I live in fear of the Library Police.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 05:52 PM   #13
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Quote:
I'm very sorry for using a TLA (Three Letter Acronym). That was very bad form.

So, no one is worried?
That's ok .... we do need to learn these things.

Ummm .... no?? Why should I be worried?? Should I expect security to go through the 3,000 mp3s on my iPod and check to make sure I paid for all of them?? I did, but am I supposed to carrry receipts now??

And, the several hundred books I have on my reader?? Most are on the removable memory ... all either creative commons or purchased from Amazon. But again ... do they really expect people to carry proof of every purchase?? Does anyone??

And ... how exactly would that work??
Old 08-05-2008, 05:53 PM   #14
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barcey View Post
I'm not worried about it but I live in fear of the Library Police.
Yes, they are almost as scary as hall monitors!

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 02:28 AM   #15
Darqref
space cadet
Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rocket PRO, gen3, Pocketbook360
The actual problem with bringing an ebook reader across the US border isn't the reader, per se. The Border Patrol has the right to look at ANYTHING for absolutely NO reason. They can take your laptop (or presumably, ebook reader) and COPY the hard drive, delay giving back to you, and spend all the time they want decrypting anything and examining anything. They're *supposed* to delete all this info if they don't find anything wrong, but of course there are no standards to determine when they are required to do this.

And US courts have repeatedly ruled that this is all legal.

So the risk isn't really having something illegal on your reader, it's that they may "detain" it for a while, especially if they don't understand it.
Darqref is offline   Reply With Quote