Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-24-2012, 07:08 AM   #61
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You have a computer that's connected to the internet, which has no antivirus software installed????

I know this isn't the subject of this thread, but this is absolutely madness . AV software is absolutely essential on any computer which has an internet connection.
I've read that Mac OS X contains all the protection it needs to protect itself from viruses. So my Macbook has a built-in detection for malware. Plus, there has been no reports of a Mac OS X virus so far
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:12 AM   #62
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella20 View Post
I've read that Mac OS X contains all the protection it needs to protect itself from viruses. So my Macbook has a built-in detection for malware. Plus, there has been no reports of a Mac OS X virus so far
Not true. There is no such thing as an operating system that isn't vulnerable to virsii.

Specifically for Mac OS X (and this is just a sample):

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/technolo...000-computers/
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2012, 08:37 AM   #63
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, my MacBook hasn't been infected.
Old 11-24-2012, 04:05 PM   #64
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Gazella do you want to see if you can load a free with DRM Sony book? Let's see if this ADE issue is only restricted to Kobo DRM books.

I just tried the following (successfully)

Sony Reader

Preferences - US

Discover - it's the first heading in the red highlighted area under the Sony Reader sign and logo

Browse (title of the dialogue box)

Free ebooks, second column

Recession Busting Britain, Lonely Planet - shows first on my screen,

I selected this ebook because when I opened it out, and read the Product Details, near bottom of the book description page, it declares the book as an Adobe DRM Epub.

Of course, you select whichever Free with DRM book you want. I just gave this as an example.
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:31 AM   #65
Gazella
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
Gazella do you want to see if you can load a free with DRM Sony book? Let's see if this ADE issue is only restricted to Kobo DRM books.

I just tried the following (successfully)

Sony Reader

Preferences - US

Discover - it's the first heading in the red highlighted area under the Sony Reader sign and logo

Browse (title of the dialogue box)

Free ebooks, second column

Recession Busting Britain, Lonely Planet - shows first on my screen,

I selected this ebook because when I opened it out, and read the Product Details, near bottom of the book description page, it declares the book as an Adobe DRM Epub.

Of course, you select whichever Free with DRM book you want. I just gave this as an example.
I've downloaded Recession Busting Britain and I was able to open it using the Reader software. But how can I download a book I bought from the Reader to my computer in order to open it in Calibre?

I have downloaded two ADE (DRM) books from Books On Board with no issues, they use the same format as Kobo. So yes, the issue is restricted to Kobo DRM books.

Last edited by Gazella; 11-25-2012 at 02:34 AM.
Advert
Old 11-25-2012, 03:22 AM   #66
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Once you've downloaded your ebook into Sony Reader then do the following in Calibre:

Add Books

Add Books from a Single Directory

If the directory doesn't auto open to the one in which you've saved this new book then look at

My Documents

Reader or reader library

It might be an idea to locate the directory that you downloaded the ebook into before you try to import it into Calibre - so you know where to find it.

I've described this for a PC, not Mac. So I hope there are some similarities.

Once you've downloaded the book into Calibre, then, if you've got Alf's Tools installed it will auto clean the book.

If you haven't got Alf's Tools then PM me.

Please ask questions anytime.
Old 11-25-2012, 04:01 AM   #67
piperclassique
A garbling groftpot
piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis, Voyage, Kobo mini, Samsung tablet, phones, whatever.
Something that may help. ADE won't create the ascm link for me if I am on a VPN, I have to have an IP address which is in the same country as I first used to register ADE. I just get an interminable "connecting " message then a timeout
piperclassique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:09 AM   #68
Gazella
Wizard

Quote:
Once you've downloaded your ebook into Sony Reader then do the following in Calibre:

Add Books

Add Books from a Single Directory

If the directory doesn't auto open to the one in which you've saved this new book then look at

My Documents

Reader or reader library

It might be an idea to locate the directory that you downloaded the ebook into before you try to import it into Calibre - so you know where to find it.

I've described this for a PC, not Mac. So I hope there are some similarities.

Once you've downloaded the book into Calibre, then, if you've got Alf's Tools installed it will auto clean the book.

If you haven't got Alf's Tools then PM me.

Please ask questions anytime.
I located it in Documents>My Books> Reader, and was able to drag and drop it in Calibre and have used Apprentice Alf's tools

I'm not interested in this book, I just wanted to see how all this works because I'll definitely be downloading books from the Reader Store.

Thank you so much. I know this didn't solve the issue with Kobo ADE books but I don't care anymore, I already asked for a refund. At least now I have the Reader software. To tell the truth, I have not heard of the software before and I had no idea that Sony has an ebook store. Plenty of books and categories to browse in, really great
You've been a great help, much appreciated!
Old 11-25-2012, 04:40 AM   #69
Gazella
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by piperclassique View Post
Something that may help. ADE won't create the ascm link for me if I am on a VPN, I have to have an IP address which is in the same country as I first used to register ADE. I just get an interminable "connecting " message then a timeout
My account on Kobo is a UAE account and I'm not on a VP network.
Old 11-25-2012, 04:27 PM   #70
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...

Gazella I'm curious, how did you get the Books on Board books into Calibre?

The only method I've used to download ebooks is into Sony Reader or Amazon for PC and then into Calibre.
Old 11-25-2012, 04:28 PM   #71
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by piperclassique View Post
Thanks for that tip Piper.
Old 11-26-2012, 12:20 AM   #72
Gazella
Wizard

Quote:
Gazella I'm curious, how did you get the Books on Board books into Calibre?

The only method I've used to download ebooks is into Sony Reader or Amazon for PC and then into Calibre.
Same process as BoB uses the same book format (Adobe ePub) as Sony Reader and Kobo (which I recall saying you use). I used Apprentice Alf's tools.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:30 AM   #73
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...

okay .... so I'm unclear here .... is there a way to import into Calibre from the ADE Reader? I'm unsure if that's what you initially did?

Mmmm ... I'm wondering how other people load their books into Kobo .....
Old 11-26-2012, 03:44 AM   #74
Gazella
Wizard

Quote:
okay .... so I'm unclear here .... is there a way to import into Calibre from the ADE Reader? I'm unsure if that's what you initially did?

Mmmm ... I'm wondering how other people load their books into Kobo .....
I'm sorry but I didn't really get what you're asking and I apologize if my earlier post wasn't clear (English isn't my main language). I download BoB books using my computer, I then import them into Calibre and use Alf's tools, then just connect my Kindle and sync them to my device.

Last edited by Gazella; 11-26-2012 at 03:46 AM.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:47 AM   #75
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...

Ahhh, okay.

I wasn't sure if you'd been importing the BoB books via ADE.

As I only know the 2 ways to import into Calibre (Sony Reader and Kindle 4PC), I've aksed this question in the Calibre section.

I'm guessing there are more than 2 ways.