Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 05-08-2012, 08:42 AM   #91
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Don''t forget to take into account the number of page turns you make as well when noting reading time. BN count one page turn/minute. I usually do at least two/minute (not number of book pages, but page turns on the device), and with the page turns being what uses up battery most, that is an important factor.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:39 AM   #92
azazel1024
Groupie
azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook simple touch, iPad 2
B&N's spec is 30 hours over 60 days basically. However, if you look at the actual page turn spec that they have published one or two times, it is 150 hours at 1 minute per page turn (IIRC it is something like 9,000 page turns, 1 per minute).

Standby uses only the tiniest trickle of power...but it uses it constantly. I find personally that I burn a lot more power in standby than reading, and B&N numbers back that up. If you can get 150 hours if you are using it constantly at 1 page a minute versus 30hrs over 60 days, the later means that you use 20% of the device battery charge in actual use and 80% in standby. I tend to read more than the half hour per day (generally more than an hour) and I seem to be getting probably about 40 days at a little over an hour per day, which means my use is probably closer to 40% of the battery power gets used from actual use and 60% in standby still.

Just some food for thought.
azazel1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2012, 10:28 AM   #93
AlexGrama
Writer
AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by azazel1024 View Post
B&N's spec is 30 hours over 60 days basically. However, if you look at the actual page turn spec that they have published one or two times, it is 150 hours at 1 minute per page turn (IIRC it is something like 9,000 page turns, 1 per minute).

Standby uses only the tiniest trickle of power...but it uses it constantly. I find personally that I burn a lot more power in standby than reading, and B&N numbers back that up. If you can get 150 hours if you are using it constantly at 1 page a minute versus 30hrs over 60 days, the later means that you use 20% of the device battery charge in actual use and 80% in standby. I tend to read more than the half hour per day (generally more than an hour) and I seem to be getting probably about 40 days at a little over an hour per day, which means my use is probably closer to 40% of the battery power gets used from actual use and 60% in standby still.

Just some food for thought.
That's awful. I don't know how you manage to go as long as 40 days with an hour per day of reading. How was your battery in the first charging cycles?
AlexGrama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:10 PM   #94
azazel1024
Groupie
azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook simple touch, iPad 2
Just fine. I don't see how that is horrible. B&N rated spec is 30 minutes a day for 60 days (30hrs over 60 days). I manage about 60-75 minutes of reading per day for about 40 days (extrapolating, I haven't run the battery dry on my current working nook simple touch, I recharged it after the first full charge at 19% charge with 32 days of reading on it about 75 minutes per day average, 19% left gets me to basically 40 days give or take a day). That is in the range of 40-50hrs of reading and over a month.
azazel1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:36 AM   #95
AlexGrama
Writer
AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So my Nook decided to mock me. From last night ( I guess ), until now it dropped 12 ( 93 - 81 ) percent with me reading around an hour or so.

That sucks.
Advert
Old 05-24-2012, 01:51 PM   #96
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
I'll offer up my anecdotal experience with my nook for what it's worth.

I got my NST with Glowlight exactly ten days ago. I charged it up before using it and I have been using it every night for about an hour. I also used it quite a bit on Sunday. The light is on 50% of the time. I'm now at just under 50% battery and I have yet to plug it in.
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 03:30 PM   #97
AlexGrama
Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrodad View Post
I'll offer up my anecdotal experience with my nook for what it's worth.

I got my NST with Glowlight exactly ten days ago. I charged it up before using it and I have been using it every night for about an hour. I also used it quite a bit on Sunday. The light is on 50% of the time. I'm now at just under 50% battery and I have yet to plug it in.

50% in 10 days? That's 5% per day with the light on. Furthermore, 5 out of 10 days you used the light.

I guess it's reasonable.
Old 05-24-2012, 03:41 PM   #98
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexGrama View Post
50% in 10 days? That's 5% per day with the light on. Furthermore, 5 out of 10 days you used the light.

I guess it's reasonable.
And with wifi on almost the entire time (I forget to turn it off). And it's rooted so I have done a little bit of app installing (Aldiko and Kindle app--no games or anything crazy).

I'm very pleased with it so far.
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 09:21 PM   #99
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
You know AlexGrama you worry about the battery too much do you even have time to enjoy reading. Unless you don't have access to electricity for weeks at a time why do you worry so much about battery life. Its better for the battery to stay at more than half charge so just charge it every week or every other week.
I usually add books to my nook touch every week so keep it connected till its charged fully. Never have to worry about my nook touch not working when I want to read
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 08:17 AM   #100
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopedangel View Post
You know AlexGrama you worry about the battery too much do you even have time to enjoy reading.
I agree, but it does seem odd and worrisome that he would drop 12% in one night. That sounds like something my faulty one would do.
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 11:22 AM   #101
AlexGrama
Writer

During last night and today until now it dropped only 1 percent, from 80 to 79. :\

I don't get it.
Old 05-25-2012, 02:39 PM   #102
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Generally speaking, I think that "bad" Nooks with a battery drain problem are bad from the beginning, like my 2 Touches. I have never heard of one that suddenly started doing it (and then stopped). However, I think that azazel1024 had one that acted totally bizarre battery-wise. So it is possible.
Old 06-08-2012, 02:07 PM   #103
Paul_B
Paul_B began at the beginning.

Device: Nookk ST
I sent one Nook ST back because I thought the battery was bad and I now don't think it was.
These are my observations of the Nook and Battery and charging.
(1) Charger the Battery (and read if you like while it is charging).
(2) when you are done charging (and reading if you are reading) and the battery is at 100% do NOT turn off the Nook inot Sleep Mode. My experience if that if you do you will get inaccurate battery discharge readings.
Instead Power off the Nook ST to Shutdown Completely and then you should get accurate discharge readings.
(3) Follow the above procedure EVERY TIME you do a recharge (shutting down and not just going into sleep mode).

Also - the Ads state the battery charge lasting for up to 2 months is reading for OLNY 1/2 hour a day.
Who in the heck reads for only 1/2 hour a day?
My experience is: Expect the battery to drain approximately 1% for every couple hours of reading time (if you follow the above charging procedure).

Once I charged to 100% and turned off to Sleep mode and came back later and the battery was at about 99% and while I was looking at the charge indicator it took a drop dow to 94% all of a sudden. That's when I stopped going to Sleep mode after a battery charge.

Here is a link on how to treat your battery.
http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/a...ased_batteries
Note the Chart: for the best battery life DO NOT read until the battery is Low and not even below 50% (if you want the battery to last for 1000+ charge cycles.
Recharge when it's down to 75% (25%DoD) or 50% (50%DoD).
Table 2: Cycle life as a function of depth of discharge
Depth of discharge____Discharge cycles
100% DoD___________300 to 500 cycles

50% DoD____________1,200 to 1,500 cycles

25% DoD____________2,000 to 2,500 cycles

10% DoD____________3,750 to 4,700 cycles

A partial discharge reduces stress and prolongs battery life. Elevated temperature and high currents also affect cycle life.
Paul_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 10:52 AM   #104
RAH
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_B View Post
Once I charged to 100% and turned off to Sleep mode and came back later and the battery was at about 99% and while I was looking at the charge indicator it took a drop dow to 94% all of a sudden.
The only time I have seen my charge indicator JUMP like this is when I first turn it on (from sleep). If I immediately go in to check the battery level, it will sometimes jump like this, but I have always figured that this was because the initial value it showed was incorrect because it hadn't really detected it yet (because I just turned it on). I have never seen it jump when it has been on for awhile and then I do a battery check. I have seen it go down 1%, and when it is draining rapidly I can watch it drop several percents, but always in 1% steps.

I think you may be right about turning the Nook completely off after a charge to get around the draining problem. In fact, I will try this next time I recharge, which is coming soon (I'm about 50% now). My Touch will be a good test of this idea, because I have a very reliably ill-behaved Touch. Unless I use my topping-off routine (spelled out above), it always drains rapidly after a recharge (about 1% per hour); topping it off always fixes it. We shall see about the total turn-off...
Old 06-09-2012, 01:03 PM   #105
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
People here worry too much about battery life. There are a few people who have had genuine battery problems, but I think most others are just grasping at straws. At 4 weeks per charge for most people, how and when you charge it is irrelevant, you won't reach 1000 charging cycles. Quit worrying about your battery and start reading.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote