Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 04-23-2012, 01:02 PM   #46
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexGrama View Post
I noticed that altough it looses only 1 percent or nothing at all during its sleep, I read for about one hour and a half or maybe two, tops and it dropped 4%. It seems a bit much. At this pace, it won't last 1 month.
Remember it is rated for 60 days at 1/2 hour per day or 30 hours reading time over 60 days. My experience I get about 48 to 60 hours of reading time, I read on average 4 or more hours a day. My STR goes from 12 to 16 days between charges.

Using B&N numbers you should see about 2-4% drop for every hour of reading, remember the power meter is in theory only accurate to 1%, and will round up or down to the nearest number.

bernie

Last edited by gbm; 04-23-2012 at 01:03 PM. Reason: spelling
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 01:31 PM   #47
AlexGrama
Writer
AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nexus 7
So it seems that I have a non-faulty nook. That's awesome. I'm curious how much the first charge it will last given that it lost 20% since Friday night until Monday night. But, as you said, it's a new battery and it needs its charges.

Again, thank you guys for being patient with me.
AlexGrama is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2012, 02:19 AM   #48
AlexGrama
Writer
AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hi guys. Just an update and a question as well. My Nook is now at 68% and it's been a week since I first charged it.

Q: Should I let the battery drop below 30% or 20% before I charge it?

Last edited by AlexGrama; 04-27-2012 at 03:57 AM.
Old 04-27-2012, 03:15 AM   #49
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Unless you susupect the battery meter is inaccurate and needs calibrating I would say it's time to charge now. No need to wait. You'll keep your battery healthy if you charge it when it comes down to around 70%.
Avoid deep discharge except maybe a couple of time/year (if that) to recalibrate you battery meter.

Last edited by Asawi; 04-27-2012 at 03:17 AM.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 04:04 AM   #50
AlexGrama
Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asawi View Post
Unless you susupect the battery meter is inaccurate and needs calibrating I would say it's time to charge now. No need to wait. You'll keep your battery healthy if you charge it when it comes down to around 70%.
Avoid deep discharge except maybe a couple of time/year (if that) to recalibrate you battery meter.
Interesting. I don't think the battery metter is inaccurate so I should charge it. Thank you.
I hope that the next charge will last longer and won't get to 68% after just one week.
Advert
Old 04-27-2012, 09:50 AM   #51
azazel1024
Groupie
azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook simple touch, iPad 2
Personally I would let it get down to about 20% before charging at least the first time. I'd do it just to make sure that suddenly the battery didn't die a day after it hit 68% or something like that. Right now I tend to charge mine about every 2-3 weeks, which means it gets down around roughly 50% charge before I charge mine. Not for any real strong reason other than I guess in part because then it only take a bit over an hour to charge with the wall adapter instead of closer to 3 hours.

Personal experience, with the 75-90 minutes a day I normally read, I tend to go through about 20% battery charger per week give or take a couple of percent. Of course if you read more than that, or read with a larger font, and thus have to turn pages faster or have wifi on some of the time, etc you'd deffinitely go through the batter faster.
azazel1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:35 AM   #52
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
Quote:
You'll keep your battery healthy if you charge it when it comes down to around 70%.
Gee, I have to disagree with this. It may be better for the battery than letting it drain further, but it kind of defeats the whole point of a device that gives you "good battery life." If you charge it every time it gets down to about 70%, you'll be charging it every week.

Myself, I wait till it gets to below 30%, never below 25%. That gives me about a month of reading between charges.
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:36 AM   #53
RHWright
Addict
RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NOOK ST, Nexus 7
I find the battery meter software can be a little glitchy.

The battery icon/symbol doesn't always correspond very well. (What looks like 1/2 full can be anywhere from 75% down to 35%.)

The calibration can be thrown way off, especially if the battery has discharged down to where the unit turns off.

For now, I've pretty much determined that any problems I've been having with battery life are software related, not actually battery related.

On the whole, I get pretty much what the spec is. Just the annoying random glitch every few months.
RHWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:57 AM   #54
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHWright View Post
I find the battery meter software can be a little glitchy.

The battery icon/symbol doesn't always correspond very well. (What looks like 1/2 full can be anywhere from 75% down to 35%.)
For that very reason, I have installed this useful battery meter that appears as a single line on top of the screen.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 12:55 PM   #55
AlexGrama
Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
For that very reason, I have installed this useful battery meter that appears as a single line on top of the screen.
That's for the rooted Nook, isn't it?
Old 04-28-2012, 09:10 AM   #56
AlexGrama
Writer

Can I charge my Nook with my Blackberry 8520 charger?
Old 04-28-2012, 12:19 PM   #57
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
That's for the rooted Nook, isn't it?
Mine isn't rooted, there are ways around. All you need is a CWM SD card and a ZIP package with the APK you want to install. You can find info about this on XDA developers.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 12:30 PM   #58
AlexGrama
Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Mine isn't rooted, there are ways around. All you need is a CWM SD card and a ZIP package with the APK you want to install. You can find info about this on XDA developers.
Can you send me a PM with a link? I would be grateful.

Do you know if I can charge my Nook with my Blackberry charger?
Old 04-28-2012, 06:16 PM   #59
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:

Do you know if I can charge my Nook with my Blackberry charger?
Probably. Just plug it in and try.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 06:54 PM   #60
AlexGrama
Writer

Quote:
Probably. Just plug it in and try.
That's not the point. I don't want to destroy the battery if the voltage is different from the charger.