Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-15-2011, 05:39 PM   #1
weatherman
Addict
weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (previous: Kindle 2, Kindle Fire) Kindle 4 WiFi, K3K, KPW
Side-Loading Apps on the Kindle Fire

I'm an Android noob, and maybe this is a better question for an Android forum, but does anyone know how to download apps from the Android Market to use on the Kindle Fire? It seems you have to have a "registered device" to use the Market, and the Fire doesn't count.

I've found the basic how-to on side-loading apps to the Fire, so I can probably handle that, I just need to be able to download it!
weatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 05:46 PM   #2
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad "3", Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire, iPhone 4S
Amazon has it's own Android Market.
monkeyluis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2011, 06:47 PM   #3
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Going to the developer's websites, most will have manual downloads. I was able to get things like Spotify that way.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 06:53 PM   #4
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherman View Post
I'm an Android noob, and maybe this is a better question for an Android forum, but does anyone know how to download apps from the Android Market to use on the Kindle Fire? It seems you have to have a "registered device" to use the Market, and the Fire doesn't count.

I've found the basic how-to on side-loading apps to the Fire, so I can probably handle that, I just need to be able to download it!
You will need to find the apk file for the program. You could could try to google for it. The only way to get Market apps is with the Market installed. I get mine through my phone then back up the apk file using ES File Manager and send it to the other device that way. There is a way to emulate an android device using your PC but I've never tried it.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 07:34 PM   #5
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
I too am an android noob. A couple of questions.

1. Are the android apps tied to the user like Apple's are. Meaning you cannot share the free apps even.

2. My SIL has an old android phone she is no longer using. Can I use that to get android apps even though there is no carrier anymore. Can you access the market through WiFi.

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2011, 07:50 PM   #6
weatherman
Addict
weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (previous: Kindle 2, Kindle Fire) Kindle 4 WiFi, K3K, KPW
@monkey; The Fire app store is missing a lot at this point, even mainstream stuff like the NPR app for instance.

@blossom; thanks. That's a little disheartening, but I guess I'll just have to work around it.

Last edited by weatherman; 11-15-2011 at 07:53 PM.
weatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 08:28 PM   #7
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadievan View Post
I too am an android noob. A couple of questions.

1. Are the android apps tied to the user like Apple's are. Meaning you cannot share the free apps even.

2. My SIL has an old android phone she is no longer using. Can I use that to get android apps even though there is no carrier anymore. Can you access the market through WiFi.

Carol
If her phone allows WiFi you can go that route. Just install the app on her phone then use ES File Explorer to back up the app into an apk file. Move the apk file to your Fire and install.
Old 11-16-2011, 12:58 AM   #8
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
If her phone allows WiFi you can go that route. Just install the app on her phone then use ES File Explorer to back up the app into an apk file. Move the apk file to your Fire and install.
Thanks Blossom.

Carol
Old 11-16-2011, 10:59 AM   #9
sadievan
Wizard

Quote:
She has a Fire on order too. If we both want an app (the free one) do I have to register the phone on one account (mine) then de-register and then register on hers.

Carol
Old 11-16-2011, 11:02 AM   #10
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
She has a Fire on order too. If we both want an app (the free one) do I have to register the phone on one account (mine) then de-register and then register on hers.

Carol
If you talking about Android Market apps no you don't if all you're doing is getting the apk installer file for it. It will go on both devices.

If you mean Amazon apps then yes you do because it contains DRM.
Old 11-16-2011, 01:07 PM   #11
sadievan
Wizard

Quote:
If you talking about Android Market apps no you don't if all you're doing is getting the apk installer file for it. It will go on both devices.

If you mean Amazon apps then yes you do because it contains DRM.
Thanks. Yes we were thinking about the bejeweled one that is free today at Amazon.

Carol
Old 11-16-2011, 02:29 PM   #12
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Thanks. Yes we were thinking about the bejeweled one that is free today at Amazon.

Carol
I got that one it looks nice on the Fire. So far I have sideloaded ES File Explorer. The lastest version not the outdated one in App store. I had to slideload Mantano. It's now block. Mantano and ColorDict work fine on the Fire. It fact it looks great and will be my primary reading app as the Kindle one is too hard on my eyes. I've also sideloaded Dropbox and it works wonderfully! I've already put Opera Mini on here as Silk is too restrictive and does not seem to load correctly.

So far Mantano, Dropbox, ColorDict and it custom dictionaries and Opera Mini all work fine.
Old 11-16-2011, 04:03 PM   #13
sadievan
Wizard

Quote:
I got that one it looks nice on the Fire. So far I have sideloaded ES File Explorer. The lastest version not the outdated one in App store. I had to slideload Mantano. It's now block. Mantano and ColorDict work fine on the Fire. It fact it looks great and will be my primary reading app as the Kindle one is too hard on my eyes. I've also sideloaded Dropbox and it works wonderfully! I've already put Opera Mini on here as Silk is too restrictive and does not seem to load correctly.

So far Mantano, Dropbox, ColorDict and it custom dictionaries and Opera Mini all work fine.
I was able to get the Bejeweled for both me and her.

I downloaded the ES File Explorer from Amazon. Didn't know there was a newer one. O well. Now I have to search for your post on how to back up the apps.

Wish I would have had her old phone the other day for the QuickOffice Pro free app. Maybe they'll offer it again.

Thanks for your help.

Edited: Figured out the backing up of the apps.

Carol

Last edited by sadievan; 11-16-2011 at 05:39 PM.
Old 11-17-2011, 01:17 AM   #14
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

I found an app that works like Screen filter but for WiFi toggle. It's called Wi-Fi Switch by friedflow. It sits in your notification bar making it easy to toggle WiFi on and off. You can also just hit the icon of the app to toggle WiFi.

Why? Makes it easier to save battery.

Last edited by Blossom; 11-17-2011 at 01:20 AM.