Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-29-2010, 11:35 PM   #1
emphasis
emphasis began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Database repair? or what?

Somewhat new to Calibre and the more I use it the more I need to learn!

It seems that I have one book in my library database that is causing a problem. Lets say that I have 100 books and this is book#50. I get a response from Calibre for #'s 1 - 49 and 51 - 100. I get NONE for #50. I cannot use the program to delete it because it does not recognize it. I added the book again to the library and it was done successfully, without presenting the usual window saying this book is already in library, do you want to add it. Again, because Calibre did not recognize it.

Thinking that it might be in the database I checked on this forum and found a couple of mentions about going to preferences + advanced + database. Well I found preferences+advanced but NO database.

I am using the latest version calibre and windows7

Please advise how to correct this problem.

Thanks

Jerry
emphasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 11:37 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I'm not clear on what the problem is. Why not just delete the book causing the problem and re-add it?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 03:28 AM   #3
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
In newer versions of Calibre the database integrity check lives in the dropdown menu of the library button. See library maintenance.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 04:39 AM   #4
emphasis

Manichean - thanks for pointing out the library maintenance drop down menu. I did run the database integrity check and it found no problems. So my problem still exists
Old 10-30-2010, 04:48 AM   #5
emphasis

Kovid - thanks for your program and your response.
Your response was 2 part.

You suggested that I simply delete the book and then re add the book.

In my original post I tried to explain that I tried that and it failed.

"I cannot use the program to delete it because it does not recognize it. I added the book again to the library and it was done successfully, without presenting the usual window saying this book is already in library, do you want to add it. Again, because Calibre did not recognize it."

The program is not recognizing this one book and when I do do click on the book the program does not respond, and soon I get a message that the entire program is not responding.

This occurs ONLY on this one book, all other book entries respond correctly.

Jerry
Old 10-30-2010, 06:04 AM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by emphasis View Post
"I cannot use the program to delete it because it does not recognize it. I added the book again to the library and it was done successfully, without presenting the usual window saying this book is already in library, do you want to add it. Again, because Calibre did not recognize it."
You actually see this book in your library?
When you select it what formats exist for this book? To find the formats select the book and click edit metadata and tell me what you see in available formats area (see attached).
What format is the book you try to add?
When you select the book and say remove is the entry deleted?
Did you reboot your computer and try to remove the book?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	edit_metadata.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	185.9 KB
ID:	60363  

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 10-30-2010 at 06:06 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 10:23 AM   #7
emphasis

Dwanthy - thanks for your response. Since receipt of your response I defragmented my drives and then rebooted .................... same problem

You asked "You actually see this book in your library?" YES, I actually see the book in the library.

You asked "When you select it what formats exist for this book?" and "When you select the book and say remove is the entry deleted?"

I have tried to explain this previously.............. when I select the book nothing happens! As opposed to the normal response of highlighting the selected book in blue and then being able to select an action i.e delete book, edit book, view book.

What does happen is that the cursor changes to a spinning wheel and in a second or two a message stating "(not responding) appears at the top left and the only action I can take is to close the program and restart.

Not stating this as a cause but only an observation is that this began after I installed 7.25. I have since uninstalled and reinstalled but problem persists.

????????????????

Jerry
Old 10-30-2010, 10:50 AM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

you can run the database check by clicking the arrow next to the calibre icon and choosing

library management->check database integrity
Old 10-30-2010, 11:38 AM   #9
emphasis

Kovid - yes, one of your forum members pointed this out in a previous response and in my response to him I stated "Manichean - thanks for pointing out the library maintenance drop down menu. I did run the database integrity check and it found no problems. So my problem still exists" (see above)

Also please read my previous post at 2:23 PM

Jerry
Old 10-30-2010, 11:57 AM   #10
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Are there actually formats inside the books' library folder (and are they the ones you expect to be there)? Does the folder exist?
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 11:59 AM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

post the crash report when calibre crashes.
Old 10-30-2010, 12:00 PM   #12
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by emphasis View Post
Kovid - yes, one of your forum members pointed this out in a previous response and in my response to him I stated "Manichean - thanks for pointing out the library maintenance drop down menu. I did run the database integrity check and it found no problems. So my problem still exists" (see above)
Did you run check_library (found near check integrity)? It won't fix anything, but it might point at where the problem is.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 12:13 PM   #13
emphasis

Kovid -Pls adv how to obtain 'crash report'. thanks
Old 10-30-2010, 12:16 PM   #14
emphasis

Chaley - re: check library. Tried it before but not really sure if it ran or what it was doing. Ran again after reading your message and this is what I copied

Invalid authors,metadata.opf,metadata.opf

As I am not sure what this file is I did not delete it, Was not sure if it represnted just one author in that file, or if all authors are in the file.

Thanks Jerry
Old 10-30-2010, 12:29 PM   #15
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Run calibre in a console as

calibre-debug -g

and post any output you see when the crash happens