Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Windows Devices

Notices

Old 10-17-2020, 09:44 PM   #1
JJ Johnson
Connoisseur
JJ Johnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JJ Johnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JJ Johnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JJ Johnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JJ Johnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JJ Johnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JJ Johnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JJ Johnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JJ Johnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JJ Johnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JJ Johnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20
Is there a VERY simple ePub reader for Windows?

I'm looking for a reader for Windows (7) where I can easily preview a book in ePub form. One with exactly zero bells and whistles. I don't want it to maintain a library, keep my place, no dictionaries, no highlighting... just open the book, let me use the book's ToC and navigation, and show me what's there.

I realize that it might be more of a utility than something people would want to use for actually reading books. Does such a thing exist?
JJ Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 11:26 PM   #2
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
One comes with calibre.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 11:33 PM   #3
JJ Johnson
Connoisseur
JJ Johnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JJ Johnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JJ Johnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JJ Johnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JJ Johnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JJ Johnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JJ Johnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JJ Johnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JJ Johnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JJ Johnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JJ Johnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
One comes with calibre.
Can it be used without adding the book into calibre's library?
Old 10-17-2020, 11:35 PM   #4
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Johnson View Post
Can it be used without adding the book into calibre's library?
Yes, I do that often - epubs can be associated with the viewer, rather than with Calibre itself
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 11:36 PM   #5
JJ Johnson
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
Yes, I do that often - epubs can be associated with the viewer, rather than with Calibre itself
Ok, that will work, then.

Does Calibre have a file association setting in its options somewhere that can do this? I can set it using a Windows utility, but if Calibre can set it, that would be preferred. I get totally lost in the Calibre preferences UI.

Thanks.

Last edited by JJ Johnson; 10-17-2020 at 11:40 PM.
Old 10-17-2020, 11:38 PM   #6
mitang
mitang began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O ecition 2 and Kobo Clara HD
Install Sumatra, or Calibre on your PC. After that right click on the file you want to have a look and click on Read with. That's everything. No bells, no songs. Have a good day.
mitang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 02:23 AM   #7
pandaeye
pandaeye understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'pandaeye understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'pandaeye understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'pandaeye understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'pandaeye understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'pandaeye understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'pandaeye understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'pandaeye understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'pandaeye understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'pandaeye understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'pandaeye understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: none
In case even calibre is too difficult for you, you can find some browser extension that support reading epub in the browser (the one I use is chrome). You can either click a hyperlink to the epub file online, or drag a local epub file to the browser to start reading.
pandaeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 04:58 PM   #8
JJ Johnson
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandaeye View Post
In case even calibre is too difficult for you, you can find some browser extension that support reading epub in the browser (the one I use is chrome). You can either click a hyperlink to the epub file online, or drag a local epub file to the browser to start reading.
I use calibre, so that's not a big deal. I wasn't aware that the reader could be used standalone. I'm not sure it behaves exactly as I'd expect, but we'll see. And I don't think a browser based solution is what I'm after. Haven't played with Sumatra yet, but it's on the to do list.
Old 10-19-2020, 07:07 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Johnson View Post
I'm looking for a reader for Windows (7) where I can easily preview a book in ePub form. One with exactly zero bells and whistles. I don't want it to maintain a library, keep my place, no dictionaries, no highlighting... just open the book, let me use the book's ToC and navigation, and show me what's there.

I realize that it might be more of a utility than something people would want to use for actually reading books. Does such a thing exist?
For what you want, Adobe Digital Editions is perfect.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 03:26 AM   #10
bazz2004
Groupie
bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.

Device: Boyue Alita
I do have Calibre on my PC and it contains E-book reader which works well with epub. It's opening my books with white print on a black background which is better for the eyes. An e-reader device is how I read books though. Think about upgrading to W10 and simplifying the interface if it's too complicated for your needs. If your now unsupported W7 system goes down you will be in a world of pain.
bazz2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 01:08 AM   #11
joe94
joe94 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra
sumatra pdf is best
joe94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 06:39 PM   #12
Robert Bitzer
Enthusiast
Robert Bitzer can illuminate an eclipseRobert Bitzer can illuminate an eclipseRobert Bitzer can illuminate an eclipseRobert Bitzer can illuminate an eclipseRobert Bitzer can illuminate an eclipseRobert Bitzer can illuminate an eclipseRobert Bitzer can illuminate an eclipseRobert Bitzer can illuminate an eclipseRobert Bitzer can illuminate an eclipseRobert Bitzer can illuminate an eclipseRobert Bitzer can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Onyx Boox Note Air, Kindle Oasis2, Sony PRS-650
There is a excellent new Epub Ereader out for Windows 10. Called Aquile Reader. Check it out:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/aq...ot:overviewtab
Robert Bitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 03:38 PM   #13
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sumatra PDF doesn't obey my CSS. I don't have any text-align in my CSS for justified or ragged right (just for centering or flush right). In Sigil's previewer it's displayed correctly with ragged right. Likewise in Calibre's viewer. In Sumatra PDF it's displayed with justified, which I happen to avoid like the plague. Even worse is that Sumatra PDF isn't indenting my paragraphs as per my CSS. And even worse is that it's putting blank lines between paragraphs, which I never do. In the table of contents there's a dash; e.g., "Chapter Ten - The storm" where I used &#8212 for the dash but Sumatra PDF shows that sequence of characters instead of the dash.

On the other hand Sumatra PDF is my go to app for reading PDFs. But definitely not for EPUB.

Last edited by hobnail; 06-06-2023 at 09:22 PM.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 08:23 AM   #14
Shohreh
Zealot
Shohreh can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Shohreh can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Shohreh can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Shohreh can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Shohreh can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Shohreh can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Shohreh can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Shohreh can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Shohreh can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Shohreh can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Shohreh can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

It's too bad SumatraPDF can't open en EPUB, and search + copy text into the clipboard.

Freda, Bibliovore, and Aquile Reader are only available from the Windows Store ("Where do you want to install? It looks like you don’t have any applicable device(s) linked to your Microsoft account." → gave up.)

The free version of Icecream Ebook Reader doesn't offer copy + search.

Calibre works but is a beast compared to SumatraPDF, and I don't like its UI.

I found Adobe Digital Editions to be the least bad alternative to SumatraPDF: Free, light, supports search + copy, but its UI isn't as good as SumatraPDF.
Shohreh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 08:50 AM   #15
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
STDUViewer works with epub, pdf, djvu and many other e-book and some picture formats.
It has 10MB and doesn't even have to be installed (there is choice to download installer or *.zip with portable version)
http://www.stdutility.com/stduviewer.html

DISCLAIMER: I am un-affiliated. I just found the software when I was looking for a bare-bone, small, visually un-cluttered viewer to display some relatively niche e-book formats.
Normally I am big fan of Calibre and its viewer.

Last edited by kacir; 10-09-2021 at 01:07 PM. Reason: Corrected typo in a word Viewer.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote