Notices

Old 05-07-2020, 10:01 AM   #1
Henning
Enthusiast
Henning began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
iOS - number of books available if "skip subscription"

Dear CalibreCompanion Team

I did use CalibreCampanion with great pleasure in the past. I didn't used it in the last few month - especially as I moved my calibre-library to NAS (calibre-docker). But now its working again!

My question: As I already bought the app before you introduced the subscription payment: how many books can I sync with my calibre library?
I tried several times to "skip" the subscription (which worked fine) but I was only able to gain wireless access to 40 books (and I even don't know how to choose books get synced?!?) from my calibre library. Is the "skip the subscription" limited to access only 40 books?

Or did I just miss something?
How much do you expect me to pay? the regular subscription?

with regards
Henning
Henning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 03:58 PM   #2
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henning View Post
Dear CalibreCompanion Team

I did use CalibreCampanion with great pleasure in the past. I didn't used it in the last few month - especially as I moved my calibre-library to NAS (calibre-docker). But now its working again!

My question: As I already bought the app before you introduced the subscription payment: how many books can I sync with my calibre library?
I tried several times to "skip" the subscription (which worked fine) but I was only able to gain wireless access to 40 books (and I even don't know how to choose books get synced?!?) from my calibre library. Is the "skip the subscription" limited to access only 40 books?

Or did I just miss something?
How much do you expect me to pay? the regular subscription?

with regards
Henning
You missed something. I was able to sync some 3800 books via wireless. Just double checked it on my test ipad which is in ad mode. My regular iPad runs in subscription mode and also has no problems syncing.

I will let PM answer the money questions. My personal take is that $10 a year is worth it to me, especially if the alternative is abandonwear. Eventually any abandonwear is going to stop working and so far, I haven't found anything remotely close to CC. If they continue to enhance it, then so much the better. That's just my take.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 05:02 AM   #3
Henning
Enthusiast

Dear pwalker8

I used another library on my Mac (running with calibre 4.15). I was able to establish wireless connection with my iPad Pro 10,5 (PadOS 13.4.1). The App CalibreCompanion started to sync. Again only 40 books were synced.

As you have a subscription: I am not sure CalibreCompanion doesn't know you have a subscription, even if you use another device. Are you using it from within the same local network? is your 2nd device registered by apple (AppleID)?
So actually I would prefer to wait for feedback a) from another USER without subscription or / and from the CalibreCompanion Team directly.

Regarding the money question: How much are you paying for calibre? The real service is the database - isn't it? CC only generates a link between a Reader application and the database. Thats something! for sure but the intellectual work behind this service is much smaller than the intellectual work behind setting up a decent reader application or / and an excellent database.
One last remark: did you try the calibre-web reader? there you can read ePub by using any web-Browser. (still I personally have some remarks on this procedure... but....).

yours
Henning
Old 05-08-2020, 06:05 AM   #4
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
well it will only cost you 99 cents to test if subscribing fixes the issue, - and you can probably force an apple refund if it doesn't

surely the developers and the initial testers will have tested with >40 books

also - you tested 2 libraries using wireless device. have you/can you test using connect to content server
how many books are in the library that you are trying to sync. and have you ruled out the possibility that the app runs out of storage after 40 books - unlikely but check anyway?
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 01:09 PM   #5
PMrev
Groupie
PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Dear pwalker8

I used another library on my Mac (running with calibre 4.15). I was able to establish wireless connection with my iPad Pro 10,5 (PadOS 13.4.1). The App CalibreCompanion started to sync. Again only 40 books were synced.

As you have a subscription: I am not sure CalibreCompanion doesn't know you have a subscription, even if you use another device. Are you using it from within the same local network? is your 2nd device registered by apple (AppleID)?
So actually I would prefer to wait for feedback a) from another USER without subscription or / and from the CalibreCompanion Team directly.

Regarding the money question: How much are you paying for calibre? The real service is the database - isn't it? CC only generates a link between a Reader application and the database. Thats something! for sure but the intellectual work behind this service is much smaller than the intellectual work behind setting up a decent reader application or / and an excellent database.
One last remark: did you try the calibre-web reader? there you can read ePub by using any web-Browser. (still I personally have some remarks on this procedure... but....).

yours
Henning
Hey,

I am on the management team for CC. Can you try syncing and sending over books then can you send us a debug log by going to settings > email debug log (at bottom).

Have not been able to reproduce this issue and subscription or non-subscription service should not interrupt this function.

Thanks,
Alex
PMrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 08:24 PM   #6
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Dear pwalker8

yours
Henning
CC doesn't generate a link between the reader app and the database. CC is the database and passes the book to the reader app. CC basically downloads the books from Calibre to your iPad, as well as the database information.

With the wireless, you connect wirelessly, which goes through the "sync" process. It then displays the information in Calibre with a check mark if a book is on the iPad or not. You can push the book to your iPad via the send to device. How many books do you have in Calibre? Can you scroll through all of them on you Mac after starting the sync?
Old 05-24-2020, 06:12 PM   #7
Henning
Enthusiast

Sorry for taking your time!

I don't know, if I simply overlooked it the last time - but now I "see" it: Within the calibre-application I clearly can send epubs to my iOS device (to CC). This works fine.

I guess last time I didn't "open" the calibre-application (as its's running on my NAS in a docker). As far as I understand now: the books have to be chosen within the calibre-application. If the "sync" is established for a specific book, it will sync whenever I start the sync procedure. But I was wrong to expect, that CC can display all books within the calibre-database (before the sync with CC).

thanks for your help!

Yours
Old 05-24-2020, 08:55 PM   #8
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Sorry for taking your time!

I don't know, if I simply overlooked it the last time - but now I "see" it: Within the calibre-application I clearly can send epubs to my iOS device (to CC). This works fine.

I guess last time I didn't "open" the calibre-application (as its's running on my NAS in a docker). As far as I understand now: the books have to be chosen within the calibre-application. If the "sync" is established for a specific book, it will sync whenever I start the sync procedure. But I was wrong to expect, that CC can display all books within the calibre-database (before the sync with CC).

thanks for your help!

Yours
No problem. It took me a few times to get things figured out when I first started using the app. If you want to pull from your iOS device, you need to pick the content server option. I alternate between the two since I don't always carry my iPad upstairs where my desktop is.