Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-17-2006, 08:37 AM   #46
yokos
Pac-Man caught my iLiad.
yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Boox Max Lumi, iRex iLiad (RIP)
[EDIT Nov 18th: I posted a better 0.3 version]
Ok, I changed sh files a bit, now 0.2 version.
made changes:
  • First you choose which firmware you have by clicking on I_have_270.sh or I_have_271.sh, then the needed sh-files get copied.
  • you can install with install_ipdf.sh
  • you can deinstall with deinstall_ipdf.sh
  • The new thing is, only one is visible, because after running one sh, it gets removed, only the other one is clickable; no confusion anymore I hope.

precautions when you update from version 0.1 to 0.2 or change ipdf version [version 4 & 5 are attached]
  • Please delete the old pdfviewers directionary of the previous pdfviewers.zip, then extract choosed zip file.
  • STICKY: If scotty's pdf viewer is still installed, first run deinstall_ipdf.sh, to get back iRex's viewer, then run install_ipdf.sh to install the ipdf version which is included in zip file

What do I have to do?
[1] Download the zipfile you want.
[2] Connect iLiad with USB cable.
[3] Extract content of choosed zip-file to the newspapers folder of iLiad's USB drive.
[4] Disconnet iLiad USB cable ["Connected to PC..." logo is gone]. You can use the iLiad again.
[5] Press iLiad's "news" button.
[6] Click on directory "pdfviewers".
[7] Choose I_have_271.sh if you have firmware 2.7.1.
[8] Click on install_ipdf.sh.
[9] Green Lamp blinks. It only takes few seconds. Blinking stops. Screen get's refreshed. This it was. [no reboot needed]

I found ipdf ver 4.

Q for 0.3: Is the above metioned STICKY situation ok?
If not the back-up routine of /usr/bin/ipdf will be changed.

good to know: zooming & panning isn't correctly working
Attached Files
File Type: zip pdfviewers_ipdf5_0.2.zip (22.6 KB, 357 views)
File Type: zip pdfviewers_ipdf4_0.2.zip (21.2 KB, 350 views)

Last edited by yokos; 11-18-2006 at 09:02 AM. Reason: minor editings
yokos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 09:50 AM   #47
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
a thousand thanks!

It seems to work just fine.
I just used a magnification glass and found that text sharpness really is LOADS better than in the standard iRex PDF Viewer...
With a magnification glas you can also find out why the screen looks so grey...it's sprinkled with little black dots...but I guess that's an eink issue...:-)
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2006, 11:11 AM   #48
rmaks
rmaks has learned how to buy an e-book online

Did I miss something or this new ipdf really doesn't save the last open page to manifest.xml when quits? I don't care about zooming and panning but this one is crucial for me.

PS Scotty, thank you very much for your hard work!
rmaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 11:16 AM   #49
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

hmmm...version 5 did save the last page...I'm not sure about version 4, but I can't imagine why not...

Right, Version 4 does not save the last-viewed page...oh dear...then i'll go back to the standard viewer for now...
Old 11-17-2006, 11:25 AM   #50
yokos
Pac-Man caught my iLiad.
yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Boox Max Lumi, iRex iLiad (RIP)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmaks
Did I miss something or this new ipdf really doesn't save the last open page to manifest.xml when quits? I don't care about zooming and panning but this one is crucial for me.
rmarks, you are right ipdf4 doesn't save last page.

Last edited by yokos; 11-17-2006 at 11:52 AM. Reason: odd spelling again ;-)
yokos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2006, 11:41 AM   #51
rmaks

Ok, thanks. I actually thought that the the only difference between these revisions is the page changing method.

I use rev 4 because I don't really like how rev 5 turns pages - too much ghosting for my taste.

Last edited by rmaks; 11-17-2006 at 12:34 PM.
Old 11-17-2006, 12:40 PM   #52
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
Hmm the save last page fix should be in rev 4. I literally just took the rev 4 code and changed the dmQ mode to create rev 5.

Oh well, I guess I'll just have to get rev 6 out the door.

Thanks for the feedback, I'll run a comb over it.

By the way, if everyone could give me more impressions than just "Didn't like it, or too much ghosting" it would actually be very useful.

I'm working on improved perceptual dynamics for the page flip and part of that is gut level impressions. For example I've been "hacking my own brain" to see what has the most impact on my own motion sickness feelings.

Someone mentioned "crawling", what kind of crawling: bugs, worms, snakes? Working with this stuff can actually be fun if you are into working with me on it by providing more detailed feedback of your impressions.
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 01:21 PM   #53
rmaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty1024
By the way, if everyone could give me more impressions than just "Didn't like it, or too much ghosting" it would actually be very useful.
Can you give us an example of a constructive feedback on this? It's just too much ghosting (disturbing white shades of the previous text, the more turns the more ghosting). Maybe it's just me though...
Old 11-17-2006, 01:55 PM   #54
bedwere
Enthusiast
bedwere began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
A question while I'm waiting for the execute shell: does ipdf allow you to read the pdf files from Google? Many thanks!
bedwere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 04:01 PM   #55
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yokos
Ok, I changed sh files a bit, now 0.2 version.
Excellent work!

I've got a bit of code for you that you may find useful for .3...

Code:
root@ereader:/etc# export OS_VER=`cat /etc/er_version_commercial`
root@ereader:/etc# echo $OS_VER
I suspect a 2.7.1 iLiad would have 2.7.1 in that string, you could then have a single script file that handles both.
Old 11-17-2006, 05:06 PM   #56
CommanderROR
eink fanatic

The ghosting in Version 5 is what annoys me most. It is not really a problem in bad lighting, but I rarely read in bad lighting conditions...
Under "normal lighting, it sort of accumulates. While just a fes pageturns of text only leave a very slight "white" after-image, 10 or more pageturns in a text-only book create thick white lines that create a very distracting pattern behind the text.

I hope you liked that...:-)

About the crawling effect...I did not find that annoying...I liked the black flash better because it was "cleaner", but I would not refuse to use rev.5 just because of the "letter-swap" effect.
Old 11-17-2006, 05:18 PM   #57
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
And i just need the zoom to work. My eyes cant handle most of the papers i read otherwise.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 06:23 PM   #58
scotty1024
Banned

I've been looking at the ipdf code and I did nothing to the zoomer, panner stuff.

Mmmm I smell a bug in mono8 Poppler.

Well, all that code is getting a right proper re-plumbing this weekend, I'll keep an eye out for zooming/panning issues.

Thanks for the timely feed back.
Old 11-18-2006, 12:08 AM   #59
The GreatGonzo
Old Yeller
The GreatGonzo is on a distinguished road

Device: Iliad & Kindle - The Best of Both Worlds
Question

I'm a teensy bit worried ...

after installing, using, and uninstalling ipdf5 it now seems that Irex's regular PDF viewer has lost its panning ability for good. This after several reboots.

Help?
The GreatGonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 01:44 AM   #60
scotty1024
Banned

As I mentioned above, I didn't change any of the panning logic from iRex's code. I'll be looking into this stuff this weekend.

More as I figure it out.