Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-18-2018, 06:55 PM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneD View Post
How do you convert to KF8 in calibre? That option is not offered in output format when I convert in calibre. What am I missing?
KF8 (Kindle Format 8) is the name of the format. The file extension used is .azw3. When looking for convert, you want to find azw3.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 01:11 AM   #17
JaneD
Addict
JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
KF8 (Kindle Format 8) is the name of the format. The file extension used is .azw3. When looking for convert, you want to find azw3.
Ah, ok, thanks JSWolf, yes I do have that as an option.
JaneD is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2018, 11:38 AM   #18
kyrilson
Fanatic
kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Kobo Glo HD,iPad Pro, Sony 350 and T2
I email to kindle purely for the syncing between devices. I use multiple devices to read the same book, and the syncing is a very nice feature for me as it saves me time. I definitely like kf8 better from a formatting perspective, but the convenience of syncing trumps that for me.
kyrilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 01:28 PM   #19
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrilson View Post
I email to kindle purely for the syncing between devices. I use multiple devices to read the same book, and the syncing is a very nice feature for me as it saves me time. I definitely like kf8 better from a formatting perspective, but the convenience of syncing trumps that for me.
I'm with you — syncing between devices is a wonderful feature and the main reason I use email/send-to-kindle.

But you don't have to give up KF8 to get sync. If you use a combined mobi (a single .mobi file that contains both old mobi/KF7 and new KF8), Amazon will send the KF8 version to devices that can handle KF8. (However, you won't get a cover, as that's associated with the book's ASIN, and Amazon assigns a new ASIN to all books processed via email/send-to-kindle.)

To get a combined mobi:

1) In Calibre, convert to MOBI-both (under conversion preferences > MOBI output).

2) Use Amazon's KindleGen command-line tool or KindlePreviewer app (KindleGen combined mobis are a little more reliable than Calibre as far as getting KF8 and syncing.)

3) In Sigil, use KindleGen plugin.

Or, my all-time favorite, easy-as-pie method that requires no conversion on your part:

4) Take your epub, change the extension to .txt or .png, and send that file via email/Send-to-Kindle. Amazon will run it through KindleGen for you and send KF8 to devices that can handle KF8.

In method #4, it's best to use the Send-to-Kindle, as that allows you to input the title & author. If you use email, Amazon will use the filename as the title and the email address as the author.

Last edited by odamizu; 01-30-2020 at 01:01 AM. Reason: updated info
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 08:36 PM   #20
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I read a lot on my Kindle and on my phone, usually in the Kindle app. But sometimes I want to read on other devices as well. In those cases I'll convert the book I bought from Amazon in Calibre and then mail it to my devices so I won't have to worry about the device limits. It also let's me stay synced.

I have 4 Kindles, a phone, about 5 tablets with Kindle apps installed and registered. Most books are read on a Kindle or phone but sometimes I like to experiment and I'll use different devices and emailing the Kindle books helps with that.

As for the differences in KF8, KFX and mobi, who cares! It's the book that matters, not trivial matters such as hyphenation, etc. I know how to get those if I want them but I don't see any reason to.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2018, 08:57 PM   #21
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post

As for the differences in KF8, KFX and mobi, who cares! It's the book that matters, not trivial matters such as hyphenation, etc. I know how to get those if I want them but I don't see any reason to.

Barry
Yup! I believe that's the small stuff I'm not supposed to sweat. Give me a good story! If I notice the hyphenation, then in all likelihood, that story isn't good enough to capture my imagination.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 10:32 PM   #22
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
... As for the differences in KF8, KFX and mobi, who cares! It's the book that matters, not trivial matters such as hyphenation, etc. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
Yup! I believe that's the small stuff I'm not supposed to sweat.
Wow and wow.

Personally, I don't care for hyphenation, but I would never disparage people who do.

The reason I value KF8 is because it allows formatting options that make it possible for me, with my impaired vision, to read comfortably. You are both lucky that your vision is good enough that such matters are "trivial" and "too small to sweat."
Old 02-19-2018, 10:37 PM   #23
kyrilson
Fanatic
kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Kobo Glo HD,iPad Pro, Sony 350 and T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by odamizu View Post
I'm with you — syncing between devices is a wonderful feature and the main reason I use email/send-to-kindle.

But you don't have to give up KF8 to get sync. If you use a combined mobi (a single .mobi file that contains both old mobi/KF7 and new KF8), Amazon will send the KF8 version to devices that can handle KF8. (However, you won't get a cover, as that's associated with the book's ASIN, and Amazon assigns a new ASIN to all books processed via email/send-to-kindle.)

To get a combined mobi:

1) In Calibre, convert to MOBI-both (under conversion preferences > MOBI output).

2) Use KindleGen. (KindleGen combined mobis are a little more reliable than Calibre as far as getting KF8 and syncing.)

Or, my all-time favorite, easy-as-pie method that requires no conversion on your part:

3) Take your epub, change the extension to .txt, and send that file via email/send-to-kindle. Amazon will run it through KindleGen for you and send KF8 to devices that can handle KF8.

In this method, it's best to use Send-to-Kindle, as that allows you to input the title & author. If you use email, Amazon will use the filename as the title and the email address as the author.
Wow, I didn't know this. Thanks for the tip! I will try this next time I am sideloading to my kindle account.
kyrilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 12:37 AM   #24
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
Originally Posted by odamizu View Post
Wow and wow.

Personally, I don't care for hyphenation, but I would never disparage people who do.

The reason I value KF8 is because it allows formatting options that make it possible for me, with my impaired vision, to read comfortably. You are both lucky that your vision is good enough that such matters are "trivial" and "too small to sweat."
My ability to read is also impaired. How are KF8 formatting options significantly superior to plain mobi, which is what I mostly use? I get ghosting around every letter (imagine 3 pieces of acetate with the exact same thing. Lay them over to match up. Now move two of them just a little bit on opposite corners. That is what I see.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 01:00 AM   #25
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What is the reason to email Kindle eBooks when most of the time you end up with Mobi format? Why not side load KF8 instead? ...
er, because 100 mile long usb cables are hard to come by? my daughter ( & her kindle) is is a different city
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 01:11 AM   #26
odamizu
just an egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
My ability to read is also impaired. How are KF8 formatting options significantly superior to plain mobi, which is what I mostly use? I get ghosting around every letter (imagine 3 pieces of acetate with the exact same thing. Lay them over to match up. Now move two of them just a little bit on opposite corners. That is what I see.
The 3 line-height options for mobi are too narrow for me. Even the widest setting is too narrow for me to read comfortably. For KF8, the line-height options are wider.

KF8 works with FONT_RAMP, so I can increase and customize the default font sizes. FONT_RAMP doesn't work with mobi.

KF8 also works with the new boldness slider, which is a godsend for me. Mobi doesn't work with the boldness slider.

YMMV
Old 02-22-2018, 11:41 AM   #27
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Ok, I tested it, odamizu. The font ramp seems to work fine with mobi on my Paperwhite 3. What doesn't work, and the device tells me this when I first open the book, is that the bold ramp does not work on that format. It gives me the option of using Amazon Ember Bold font for that. Further testing - if I convert the mobi (or epub or lit) format to azw3 using Calibre, then the boldness slider works. So, this was exciting. Alas, it does not work on the one unit I COULD really use the boldness slider on, a Kindle Touch. Sigh. (It's a 3g, which is why I bought it).

I do see the line height differences. I remember noticing that in the past, but since the font is more important, I never followed up. Thanks for pointing that out.

So, it looks like in future I will have 3 formats: Epub, mobi and Azw3 (I have numerous older kindles). Oh, and thanks JSWolf, for pointing out that Kf8 and .azw3 are the same files. I have been kindof puzzled about that.

Last edited by Tarana; 02-22-2018 at 11:45 AM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 01:31 AM   #28
odamizu
just an egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
... The font ramp seems to work fine with mobi on my Paperwhite 3.
Just want to make sure we're talking about the same thing.

FONT_RAMP is a special plain text file you create and load onto your Kindle. It allows you to override the default set of font sizes with custom sizes of your choosing. For example, I find the smaller default sizes too small to be useful, so I've bumped them up to something more readable for me. Original discussion here and updated instructions here.
Old 03-02-2018, 07:44 AM   #29
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The main reason to email books is that emailed books sync between devices. Sideloaded books do not.
That's why I do it, plus I don't have to store the books on my device, they are available in the Amazon cloud whenever I want them, which is usually when i'm nowhere near my pc.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 11:19 AM   #30
harriska2
Addict
harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, iPad Pro
I hate ads so I don’t register my kindle device nor send via email to sync. I hate the kindle app on my iphone or ipad so if I do want to continue reading a book on my phone I just download via calibre web and make mental note of where I left off on the kindle and just use ibooks to find the chapter and pick up reading. If there was an apple icloud e-ink device, I would buy that. The rest of the family just uses ipads and phones with icloud/ibooks to sync their books. My son is weaning himself off lcds after 10 pm so he is using the kindle to read special books not on the ipad so syncing isn’t really an issue. Maybe one day eink displays will be somehow folded into lcd like my old reflective compaq ipaq.
harriska2 is offline   Reply With Quote