Notices

Old 02-17-2018, 04:30 AM   #1
comet
Connoisseur
comet began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Oasis , Kindle Oasis 2, Tolino Epos
zone of yellow darkness at oasis 2

Hallo,

I bought a new kindle oasis 2 at amazon. There is at the opposite side of the light-LEDs a zone of a small amount of yellow darkness. Of course I know that this kind of shadow is up to a certain amount normal because of the technology used in the reader. But my question is: Where is the limit of acceptability? I don't know, wether it's a kind of hypersensivity of me or if it is a real defect. I dont wan't to return the device for that matter, because if this is a nomal phanomenon I will get perhaps a device that is more worse.
comet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 05:13 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Well, the lights are at one side of the screen (the side where the buttons are), so naturally it's going to be a little less bright at the other side, but it shouldn't really be noticeable at average light settings. Can you post a photograph of your screen (and say what light setting you're using)? It's difficult to say whether or not it's normal without seeing it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2018, 06:20 AM   #3
comet
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Can you post a photograph of your screen (and say what light setting you're using)?
I tried to do so, but I can't find a button to attach a picture to a reply.
Old 02-17-2018, 06:21 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

When you write a message, click the "Go Advanced" button, and then "Manage Attachments". This allows you to attach an image to your message.
Old 02-17-2018, 07:52 AM   #5
comet
Connoisseur

Here is the picture. If I look at the screen with my eyes the yellow shadow looks more impressive than on the picture. Perhaps my eyes are hypersensitive or the camera of my mobile phone is too less sensitive. ;-) On the picture you see, what I mean, mainly on the lower left side.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	reader.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	1.04 MB
ID:	162346  
Advert
Old 02-17-2018, 07:59 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Perhaps other people can offer their opinion, too, but that looks absolutely normal to me.
Old 02-17-2018, 10:23 AM   #7
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
I looks normal to me also
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 10:49 AM   #8
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by comet View Post
Here is the picture. If I look at the screen with my eyes the yellow shadow looks more impressive than on the picture. Perhaps my eyes are hypersensitive or the camera of my mobile phone is too less sensitive. ;-) On the picture you see, what I mean, mainly on the lower left side.
It is hard to say from the picture, which I think may be overexposed.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 11:26 AM   #9
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
The screen does look fine to me from the photograph. But, I think the real question is--does it really bother/distract you when you are reading? If it does and you don't think you'd ever be able to truly enjoy reading on your Oasis then you should return it. Otherwise keep it and enjoy your reader.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 04:42 PM   #10
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, Kindle Keyboard 3g, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by comet View Post
Ultimately it is going to have to be up to you to decide if you can live with it, but this is the reason I had to return my 2017 Oasis.

Here is this image shrunk to posting guidelines, and one version with part of the screen mirrored, sowing the color contrast.

On the paper white, it has the same effect, but when I read top-down on the paper white I don't notice it. each line of text has the same color, and very close to the colors around it.

on the oasis, with the side lighting, the color changes as I read across the screen.

Name:	reader.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	162358

Name:	reader2.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	162357
coplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 02:23 PM   #11
comet
Connoisseur

Very impressive pictures. So the question remains whether the intensity of the effect is normal due to the technology or if it is a defect.
Old 02-18-2018, 03:16 PM   #12
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
I think the real question is not staring at pictures and doing photo manipulation. The real question is, how is it for you and your eyes when you actually read a book on the device. Nothing else really matters.

Do you notice anything while actually reading. Not staring at empty pages, or taking pictures. If you can't read comfortably, I think you'll have the answers. Those screens are so different from one another and each of our eyes are different. I don't see any gradient on my current O2, but I did see some on my first one. I got a replacement for a different reason though, I had a stuck "pixel". I would have kept the first one otherwise, although initially I could see the darker side. I don't see it at all on my replacement though. So I know what it looks like, but tolerance will be different for each person. I think a certain level is expected just based on how the lighting technology is done.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 03:44 PM   #13
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by coplate View Post
Ultimately it is going to have to be up to you to decide if you can live with it, but this is the reason I had to return my 2017 Oasis.

Here is this image shrunk to posting guidelines, and one version with part of the screen mirrored, sowing the color contrast.

On the paper white, it has the same effect, but when I read top-down on the paper white I don't notice it. each line of text has the same color, and very close to the colors around it.

on the oasis, with the side lighting, the color changes as I read across the screen.

Attachment 162358
Attachment 162357
On your first picture, I can't see the difference from one side of the screen to the other. I'm convinced if I did the same photo manipulation with a picture of my Oasis 2, I'd see the difference you show. But my eyes don't see it, so I see no reason for it to bother me.

If I took a picture, and manipulated it as you did, and kept looking at it, I'd start obsessing over it, and it would bother me.

I think people should just use their devices normally for a few days without looking for something wrong. There is always something to complain about, if you look for it. Users who are new to these devices, like the Oasis, don't automatically know what is "normal" behavior.

I also think that some people are chronically disappointed.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 04:54 PM   #14
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Perhaps other people can offer their opinion, too, but that looks absolutely normal to me.
Photo looks normal to me also. There seems to be yellow at the right edge but almost unnoticeable.
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 09:07 AM   #15
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
I also think it looks fine in the pics, but it's hard to get the picture that shows what your seeing unless it's really obvious. If the screen is a distraction to your reading comfortably on it, then return for another.
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote