Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-28-2018, 09:22 PM   #31
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Get a stylus for when your fingers are too cold

Also, why would you want to sacrifice higher resolution, greater clarity, and better contrast for not having a touch screen?
I appreciate the recommendation of a stylus, but I already lose my Itouch 4 times or so a day. I'd never keep track of the stylus.

Yes, those things are important, but mostly when you have the internal lighting. If you have a regular reading light, ALL ereaders are easy to read from despite differences in resolution, clarity and contrast. As soon as you add an internal light, you lose contrast, so these things become more important.

Can you not read a newspaper as easily as a magazine? They vary considerably in resolution and contrast, but both are easy provided you are able to read them at all (vision problems).
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 09:25 AM   #32
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
Yes, those things are important, but mostly when you have the internal lighting. If you have a regular reading light, ALL ereaders are easy to read from despite differences in resolution, clarity and contrast. As soon as you add an internal light, you lose contrast, so these things become more important.
Wrong. My H2O has more contrast and is clearer than any of my Sony Readers. The h2O has a front light and the Sony's had no light.

There is nothing wrong with a front light. What you might be complaining about is a capacitive touch layer.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2018, 11:02 AM   #33
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
I appreciate the recommendation of a stylus, but I already lose my Itouch 4 times or so a day. I'd never keep track of the stylus.

Can you not read a newspaper as easily as a magazine? They vary considerably in resolution and contrast, but both are easy provided you are able to read them at all (vision problems).
I don't think newspapers and magazines have a difference in resolution

While the light layer and capacitive layer do reduce contrast, the improvements in resolution and later generation of e-ink screen do compensate. Also, having the frontlight on does improve the contrast, which is why it is recommended to set it higher when you are in bright light.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 06:02 AM   #34
Waiting4somethin
Addict
Waiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the rough

Device: Wexler Flex One, NookST, n96ml+
From the looks of it the Kindle Oasis 2 and the inkbook prime or classic are the best ereaders for touchscreen haters, as you can disable the touchscreen.

I dislike touchscreens for swiping, prefer scrolling. I use k2pdfopt to crop my pdfs to the same size, then scroll down like you would in your phone or tablet. Some ereaders can do this, such as NookST and Sony PrsT1/2. But there are times I rather use buttons.
Waiting4somethin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 08:20 AM   #35
Waiting4somethin
Addict
Waiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the rough

I had the Sony prs 505, it is quite good with prs plus modification. But still very slow to turn pages, and it is really quite heavy.

Last edited by Waiting4somethin; 02-27-2018 at 08:23 AM. Reason: Actually it’s only 260g. But it felt heavy to me.
Advert
Old 02-27-2018, 08:41 AM   #36
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
The only thing I hate the touch screen over are the accidental touches of the screen that will highlight a word or phrase and PW2 will instantly offer to display the word "the", or whatever, in the dictionary or offer to cut and paste the damn thing. It doesn't happen OFTEN, but it does happen enough that it irritates the hell out of me!
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 08:47 AM   #37
Waiting4somethin
Addict

What I dislike about ereader touchscreens is that your fingers are constrained to certain positions, and it makes the device more fiddly and awkward.

Off topic but for tablets I’ve always envisioned a keyboard positioned ergonomically on the back, or some kind of transparent physical keyboard layer on the front.
Old 02-27-2018, 03:29 PM   #38
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiting4somethin View Post
What I dislike about ereader touchscreens is that your fingers are constrained to certain positions, and it makes the device more fiddly and awkward.

Off topic but for tablets I’ve always envisioned a keyboard positioned ergonomically on the back, or some kind of transparent physical keyboard layer on the front.
I would have to find a Kindle to test, but I can say that with a Kobo, you can swipe the screen left to left to page forum and you can swipe left to right to page back. So for page turns, if you don't mind swiping, you don't have to tap in specific places to turn the page/screen.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 04:25 PM   #39
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The only problem I've had with a touchscreen e-reader is when I tried to save my Kobo from a drop and it interpreted that as me pinching the screen to change font size. That option got turned right off.

Otherwise, I like page turn buttons. but wouldn't want a reader that I couldn't navigate with a touchscreen.
Old 02-27-2018, 05:32 PM   #40
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
I would have expected buttons to constrain you even more. With my Kobo devices, I can tap anywhere on the right-hand side of the device to turn the page forward. There are several ways I can hold it one-handed and am able to do that. All the page turning buttons I have seen have been relatively small, and I would think there was only one way to hold it one-handed and reach those buttons.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 06:22 PM   #41
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I would have expected buttons to constrain you even more. With my Kobo devices, I can tap anywhere on the right-hand side of the device to turn the page forward. There are several ways I can hold it one-handed and am able to do that. All the page turning buttons I have seen have been relatively small, and I would think there was only one way to hold it one-handed and reach those buttons.
I liked the Nook ST page turn buttons. They were embedded under the rubber and you could easily hold the e-reader and not accidentally press the button. Some people said they were too hard to push, but I never had an issue. Maybe I'm just macho
Old 02-27-2018, 07:12 PM   #42
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I liked the Nook ST page turn buttons.
From the pictures, it look like two buttons on each side, so I assume a forward and backward on each side. That should give more flexible holding positions than say the Sony's with their buttons at the bottom.
Quote:
They were embedded under the rubber and you could easily hold the e-reader and not accidentally press the button. Some people said they were too hard to push, but I never had an issue. Maybe I'm just macho
Maybe they are just scared of the hat.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 11:40 PM   #43
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
I had the Sony prs 505, it is quite good with prs plus modification. But still very slow to turn pages, and it is really quite heavy.
I like the weight and feel of my PRS-505s. I just finished a book on one last night. But you're right about slow page turns, especially if you've got a book with some illustrations or pictures in it. (The 300 is also slow in the case of pictures, otherwise fine.) For holding and page turning, I think the 300 is one of the best designs. When holding a "naked" PRS-300 with my right hand, my thumb naturally sits on the page turning "wheel."

Last edited by rcentros; 02-27-2018 at 11:42 PM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 11:45 PM   #44
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I liked the Nook ST page turn buttons. They were embedded under the rubber and you could easily hold the e-reader and not accidentally press the button. Some people said they were too hard to push, but I never had an issue. Maybe I'm just macho
I like the Nook ST's buttons as well. To make the pressure needed to click the page turn the buttons seems about perfect.
Old 02-27-2018, 11:47 PM   #45
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
From the pictures, it look like two buttons on each side, so I assume a forward and backward on each side. That should give more flexible holding positions than say the Sony's with their buttons at the bottom.
By default the top button (on both sides) is forward and the bottom is backwards, but they can be reversed in a software setting (to make them like the older Kindles). I wish the older Kindles could be reversed in the same way.