Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-02-2018, 09:58 AM   #16
TheSmitty
Addict
TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite SE, Libra 2, Oasis 3, Voyage, iPad Pro 11
Nice review, I've only had mine for 4 days and like it a lot. The shape is fine with me, I loved he shape of the Oasis 1. Then again I have the discontinued "official" cover that results in the back being completely flat when it is on.
The bigger screen is a big plus, waterproof didn't matter to me. Battery life does seem to be less than the Oasis 1 but then again the combined battery size of the Oasis 1 and its case I believe is bigger than the battery of the Oasis 2. I saw somewhere a chart that listed history of current and past Kindles that include the battery size/rating and the Oasis 2 was a little smaller than even the Voyage battery.
I will have to charge mine today but I have downloaded some big books (2 Delphi Collections) that had to index and it ate the battery up pretty good and I did not plug it in while it was doing as I wanted to see the impact.
TheSmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 10:00 AM   #17
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoganW View Post
Has anyone else noticed that sometimes a button press won't register? My eyes flick up to the top of the page after pressing the button, and I end up confused for a moment because I've read this before. This has happened dozens of times on two units, albeit during probably 100 hours of reading.
Yes, it happens occasionally, but not very often.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2018, 10:37 AM   #18
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Button press delaying or whatever happens sometimes but usually its when its downloading at the same time.
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 10:38 AM   #19
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
Button press delaying or whatever happens sometimes but usually its when its downloading at the same time.
Mine is never downloading anything and it still happens, so that's not the reason.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 11:11 AM   #20
LoganW
Enthusiast
LoganW began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch, Paperwhite, Voyage, Oasis 2
Quote:
Nope, it's not a button delay, it's not registering the button press. And nothing's waiting for indexing or being downloaded, nor is wifi on. And the button press registers immediately the second time. It's infrequent but noticeable if you use it a lot. It's almost like I sometimes hit the button in between clock cycles or something.

One other thing I forgot to mention is that every once in a while I will come back to a book and it will be on the previous page, as though it didn't store my last location but the previous location. Usually this happens when I open a book again, not when turning the Kindle on. Again, wifi hasn't been connected in a month so whispersync isn't the issue.

Last edited by LoganW; 02-02-2018 at 11:14 AM.
LoganW is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2018, 09:31 PM   #21
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Mine is never downloading anything and it still happens, so that's not the reason.
I never said it is your reason, it is MY reason that it happens to me
Old 02-03-2018, 05:23 AM   #22
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Quote:
I never said it is your reason, it is MY reason that it happens to me
You did not specify this at all. Your reply almost sounded like a general solution: “just wait for downloads to finish“
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 06:23 AM   #23
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Every device I've ever owned has occasionally missed page turns, whether it be physical buttons or taps on the screen. As long as it doesn't happen habitually (and it seems to be a fairly rare occurrence on the Oasis 2) I wouldn't regard it as a problem.

Very, VERY occasionally, my Oasis just stops responding to page turn button presses entirely. When that happens, going to the home page and then back into the book makes it start working again. I suspect that's a firmware issue.

The Haptic sensors of the Voyage are still my all-time favourite page-turning method, although I know they aren't to everyone's taste.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 07:58 AM   #24
HLS
Wizard

I agree I liked the page turns on the Voyage better except it was all too easy to accidentally turn a page
Old 02-03-2018, 08:52 AM   #25
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
I agree I liked the page turns on the Voyage better except it was all too easy to accidentally turn a page
Jailbreaking, then disabling the touch screen takes care of that.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 08:56 AM   #26
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Jailbreaking, then disabling the touch screen takes care of that.
You've slightly lost me there: how does disabling the touch screen alter the fact that the previous poster found the haptic page turn sensors to be too sensitive? She isn't talking about the touch screen.
Old 02-03-2018, 10:04 AM   #27
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by badtux View Post
1) I am comparing to the PW3 with the 300DPI screen. The PW3 to me is quite laggy, the PW2 was faster probably because it had fewer pixels to play with. The Oasis 2 is buttery smooth and quick despite the larger screen.
I find the PW2 zippy. Is the PW3 significantly slower?
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 10:26 AM   #28
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You've slightly lost me there: how does disabling the touch screen alter the fact that the previous poster found the haptic page turn sensors to be too sensitive? She isn't talking about the touch screen.
I have long suspected that most accidental page turns on the Voyage are touch screen events rather than page turn sensor events. For me, disabling the touch screen confirmed the suspicion.
Old 02-03-2018, 10:32 AM   #29
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
I have long suspected that most accidental page turns on the Voyage are touch screen events rather than page turn sensor events. For me, disabling the touch screen confirmed the suspicion.
But if you disable the touchscreen, how do you then do the things that require the use of the touchscreen, such as looking up a word in the dictionary, or even opening a new book?
Old 02-03-2018, 10:53 AM   #30
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
But if you disable the touchscreen, how do you then do the things that require the use of the touchscreen, such as looking up a word in the dictionary, or even opening a new book?
Re-enable with a long press on the page back sensor.