Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-19-2018, 05:52 PM   #256
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvkemp View Post
It all depends on how you use your reader. When I read I read a lot normally. I do not use the wifi much at all, and I do not use the bluetooth at all. I also do not add books very often. When I got the Oasis I loaded the books I would be reading on for maybe then next year or more. I remove the book as I finish reading it. And Like I said there are times I only read about 30 minutes at a time. And there are days that I will read as many as 8 hours at a time. If I really sat down and figured it out I get about 30 hours of reading time per charge. That was what I got with the voyage and the pw also. Also I never allow my battery to go below 25% and normally I recharge at about 40%. I am also someone that before retiring was a electronics Tech and also a software engineer. I understand battery tech and also how to keep batteries from getting over taxed.

Yes but the battery is taxed on the Oasis 2 by things like wifi on, screen lighting on , and using the blue tooth for audio.
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 06:33 PM   #257
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wearever View Post
Yes but the battery is taxed on the Oasis 2 by things like wifi on, screen lighting on , and using the blue tooth for audio.

I would say yes it is so was it on the Voyage and PW with the wifi and the lighing.

I just do not use them that much. So I save my battery for what is important and that is reading.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2018, 06:37 PM   #258
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Quote:
That sounds like mine too. I don't read for hrs. straight, I don't have time. I'll read an average of an hr. per evening. I think the Oasis 2 will do better reading long periods at a time, with lower light settings and of course wifi off. I don't read like that, so the results are going to be different than others. Your results seem to match mine.

I plan on trading my Oasis 2 in , in 2 years. This will be the first Kindle I have not passed down to a family member. I don't know what Amazon will have next if they plan on keeping the Oasis line or something new. For user's like me anyway I'll need to see a battery improvement. I do like the larger screen but could also live without it. I still have my voyage and like it a lot. Maybe they will make a bigger Voyage like device next time to place a bigger battery. Or they will keep the Oasis shape and have better batteries by then. They will need to do something for those who want to use the audio on the oasis 2. If not for just reading on the screen. I do think Amazon is aware of the battery limitations. I guess we'll see what they have next in 2 years.

I like the kindle. It will be nice if it had a battery cover
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 07:13 PM   #259
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
I was actually surprised to see my Oasis battery depleted from 100% to only 71% after 2 weeks of zero usage!
I'm impressed! Best battery consumption I've ever had out of it!
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 07:13 PM   #260
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
I've had the Oasis 2 for over three months and it has been my daily lunch reader for over two months.

The battery discharges 2% to 4% per day, usually closer to 2%. Earlier, I had trouble with it being already awake when I opened the cover, but I've gradually learned to take care that the power button doesn't get bumped. (What a pain.)

A few weeks ago, I was eating outside, in the shade on a hazyish day, when I happened to notice the light was at 22. When I had done experiments on a clear day shortly after getting it, the highest I saw it go was 18. Autoadjust is convenient, but I've decided to turn that off and adjust it my self when I think it needs it. 22 would really burn through the battery.

I think at least some of the battery life trouble is from the power button getting bumped. It is really surprisingly easy to do, even carrying inside a closed cover in a bag, pack, or I suppose, a purse.

I think there is a good chance that anyone having fast drain problems that has eliminated all the usual suspects has a defective Oasis 2 device, not that the Oasis 2 is a defective product. I would prefer that the Oasis 2 battery was as large as the Voyage battery, but I can live with the current one. The Voyage battery is only 24% higher capacity, so it would not help those only getting several days per charge that much.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2018, 07:18 PM   #261
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Does anyone else find it ironic that front lit Kindles with auto adjust lighting use more power in a well lit environment than one dim enough to require the front light to read?
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 11:15 PM   #262
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Does anyone else find it ironic that front lit Kindles with auto adjust lighting use more power in a well lit environment than one dim enough to require the front light to read?
Yes, but it makes sense. In brightly lit environment the light goes high to improve the appearance of whiter background. I have not seen a day sunny enough to see the light turn off.

Not bumping the power button is a good way to not wake up the Oasis much, but maybe that is not the only problem. The downside is that you have to wait much longer to wake up from deep sleep. The workaround is to press the power button shortly before you plan to start reading (e.g. while you carry the Oasis to the couch to be read). It will wake up the Oasis from deep sleep into regular sleep as long as the cover is still secure in place. Opening the cover after a little bit will have you reading quicker (no "waking up").

From what I can observe, the Oasis does not turn on the light or change the screensaver if the button gets pushed with cover on. Possibly when you open it and it already is on the page and turned on, I suspect the cover getting bumped and not the power button. Now that I am careful not to bump the power button, it also doesn't bump the cover as side effect, so maybe is what you are seeing? I used to put the button towards the wall of headboard, but now make sure the spine touches instead.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 11:22 PM   #263
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
And this ^ only works from deep sleep. If it is in normal sleep, pushing the button with cover closed turns on the Oasis with light and all.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 12:38 PM   #264
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
I try never to have the screen light on. Only time I need it is when it's dark. With regular office light, it's bright enough for me not to use any light.
In full daylight, my lookers get burned, so I try not to read outside.
It's funny,but,
In an effort to save the environment, and power, we need to turn on a 60w bulb, just to read our e-readers, or, at least are expected to do so, because the Oasis' battery will be depleted before the end of day if you use a screen light.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 07:17 PM   #265
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
I like the kindle. It will be nice if it had a battery cover
I never had the Oasis one with the battery cover, so I can't say how that worked. I do know that the battery in the Oasis 2 fits exactly into the bump on the back. Like an iPod battery, with 12 LED's. I think of the oasis batteries as still in the experimental stages. They will get there eventually.
Old 02-21-2018, 05:35 PM   #266
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Quote:
I never had the Oasis one with the battery cover, so I can't say how that worked. I do know that the battery in the Oasis 2 fits exactly into the bump on the back. Like an iPod battery, with 12 LED's. I think of the oasis batteries as still in the experimental stages. They will get there eventually.
I had the original Oasis in Merlot and sold it but I wish I kept it. I got 3x better battery life with the charging cover and it help on well t the device
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 04:45 AM   #267
Robmonster
Wizard!
Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Voyage + Oasis2
I was suffering battery issues, and my books were not syncing properly. It turned out there was a corrupted purchased book that was stopping the sync from completing, and the Oasis was trying to sync over and over and over, draining the battery V quickly.

Amazon (eventually) found the bad book and removed it from the account altogether. Things have been fine since.
Robmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 12:04 PM   #268
Wearever
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robmonster View Post
I was suffering battery issues, and my books were not syncing properly. It turned out there was a corrupted purchased book that was stopping the sync from completing, and the Oasis was trying to sync over and over and over, draining the battery V quickly.

Amazon (eventually) found the bad book and removed it from the account altogether. Things have been fine since.
It's a good thing they found it.
Old 02-22-2018, 12:12 PM   #269
Wearever
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
I had the original Oasis in Merlot and sold it but I wish I kept it. I got 3x better battery life with the charging cover and it help on well t the device
You might be able to pick up another Oasis 1. Used or refurbished , I'm not sure if they still sell them new on Amazon, but maybe on ebay ? I kept my Voyage, it's a good size to put in a bag when I'm out.
Old 02-22-2018, 12:25 PM   #270
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
I thought the Oasis had horrible battery life, but as I finished my book in bed last night, I saw it hardly had moved. I think it was indexing-cant judge when it is doing that.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery life, koa2