Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-30-2017, 04:15 PM   #46
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
Google "update_pw3_factory_5.8.9.0.1.bin" ? There are 2 Chinese links.

Or PM @knc1 and ask for a temporary link (or at least MD5 checksum for his/original file).
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 12:49 PM   #47
grampon
grampon began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite 3rd gen
@kno1 please, PM me with the link for 5.8.9.0.1 image.

Thanks
grampon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2018, 01:09 PM   #48
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by grampon View Post
@kno1 please, PM me with the link for 5.8.9.0.1 image.

Thanks
PM sent.

Last edited by issybird; 01-05-2018 at 01:17 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 12:09 PM   #49
DaAppleMan
DaAppleMan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
And there was me hoping to update from 5.8.8 to the 5.8.9.0.1 to get the jailbreak. Guess that idea has gone down the toilet.
DaAppleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 12:21 PM   #50
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaAppleMan View Post
And there was me hoping to update from 5.8.8 to the 5.8.9.0.1 to get the jailbreak. Guess that idea has gone down the toilet.
5.8.8 is a customer firmware build
5.8.9.0.1 is NOT a customer firmware build
It is like comparing Apples (the fruit, not the PC) and Oranges.

Ref: https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...deId=200203720
Scroll down to the PW3 (7th. gen paperwhite), the firmware versions listed are those for which Amazon released a customer firmware build.
Note that you do not see a: 5.8.9.0.1 listed (because it wasn't intended for customer use - it is a different package type.

This thread is specific to those devices that arrived with the factory production line testing firmware build still installed.
I.E: For some reason, the devices where shipped before receiving a customer firmware installed.

Last edited by knc1; 01-07-2018 at 12:32 PM.
Advert
Old 01-08-2018, 04:12 AM   #51
Antinoos
Groupie
Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: PW3, KT3 (fw 5.8.11 with jb)
My friend's PW3 came with this fabulous fw 5.8.9.0.1 (3175970011) and he asked me to help him with the jb.

For reasons of mere curiosity, I've tried the ;installHtml command with that version (i.e. without prior downgrade). Didn't work (as already expected ...). A downgrade to the factory test fw 5.8.9.0.1 (special links provided by knc1) was possible, and then the ;installHtml command did its job.

Unfortunately, I've forgotten to write down the exact build number of this factory fw. But I suppose, it was a bit different from the mentioned 3175970011. Anyway there's an obvious difference between these "5.8.9.0.1" builds. The one on now-selling devices yet seems to be a special user version (allowing at least one single downgrade via a FB02 package type bin file), not a factory test build in a narrower sense (which allows the ;installHtml command).

In my eyes, this 5.8.9.0.1 (3175970011) is merely a special kind of user firmware, used deliberately by Amazon for now selling brand new devices.

Speculation/educated guess: It's not a bug, but a feature that this build allows the single downgrade. Could have something to do with the upcoming feature of VoiceView/Audible support also for non-English languages. These could officially region-specific be installed via FB02 bin files - and this is possible only before the first OTA update to a more current user fw. This view is proven by the existence of 5.8.10.1 and 5.9.2.0.1 firmwares coming with brand new devices and allowing the initial downgrade before any OTA to standard user firmwares.

Last edited by Antinoos; 01-08-2018 at 04:15 AM.
Antinoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 08:20 AM   #52
knc1
Going Viral

Meaning the *.0.1 firmwares ability to install an FB02 package is controlled by the language selection?

I.E: Maybe it isn't the country of sale, maybe it is the initial language selected?
Old 01-08-2018, 02:23 PM   #53
Antinoos
Groupie
Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: PW3, KT3 (fw 5.8.11 with jb)
Neither, nor. This feature just gives Amazon a bit more flexibility for devices to be sold in non English speaking regions, irrespective where they're actually stored.

Each VoiceView language needs around 150 MB - in 4 GB devices it would not make sense to install more than two or max. three other languages.

And I suppose, this could later be made possible via special downloads (or even OTA updates) depending on the respective region (in the possible case of OTA autoupdates you could be right: even on the user-selected language only). So there might for instance sometimes be an update bin for adding a combined French and Flamish VoiceView files for devices sold in or to Belgium...
Antinoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 03:07 PM   #54
knc1
Going Viral

You might be on to something.
But I still do not see any real patterns emerging.

It would seem to me that a reasonable way to handle vv would be the same as they do dictionaries - -
Set up a todo item to download the correct vv file at first connect.
But then, I do not think that Lab126 is constrained to only doing what is reasonable.
Old 01-12-2018, 01:07 AM   #55
snb
snb began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW3
Hello everybody!
Can anyone send me PM with URL of update_pw3_factory_5.8.9.0.1.bin and password? I asked knc1 in PM and he send me here.
snb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 01:23 AM   #56
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by snb View Post
Hello everybody!
Can anyone send me PM with URL of update_pw3_factory_5.8.9.0.1.bin and password? I asked knc1 in PM and he send me here.
This method is ONLY for brand new machines that arrived with 5.8.9.0.1 installed.
Old 01-12-2018, 01:50 AM   #57
snb
snb began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW3
But I have it (KPW3 with 5.8.9.0.1), SO was disabled yesterday by support.

Last edited by snb; 01-12-2018 at 02:00 AM.
snb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 07:29 AM   #58
spyke
spyke began at the beginning.

Device: PW3W
Any one knows where can I find the update_pw3_factory_5.8.9.0.1.bin file or a hash so I can compare to the one I found in google?

Thanks a lot.
spyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 08:05 AM   #59
Kamikakushi
Kamikakushi put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.Kamikakushi put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.Kamikakushi put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.Kamikakushi put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.Kamikakushi put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.Kamikakushi put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.Kamikakushi put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.Kamikakushi put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.Kamikakushi put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.Kamikakushi put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.Kamikakushi put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
How did you find it? I only found two chinese sites with malware.
From another thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
At least some of those sites list the md5sum of the file.
If it is identical with the one here, then:
5d38744bd01f4cbf457dae4499c3c32a

@hius07: I thought you had a copy @4pda.ru.

And there should be a number of copies posted in Japan, after all, it is for the PW3-32 manga model (which also works on the PW3-4).
Kamikakushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 11:50 AM   #60
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamikakushi View Post
How did you find it? I only found two chinese sites with malware.
From another thread:
The very first google hit, that is not on mobileread:
https://pan.baidu.com/s/1jH4rMsA
The Chinese National Content Distribution Network
And the md5sum matches what has already been posted here.

Last edited by knc1; 01-13-2018 at 12:11 PM.