Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 10-04-2017, 02:51 PM   #16
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dura View Post
Í gave myself an iPad 10.5 too. Being an iPad addict, I had the 1, 2, 4, 1 air and very shortly the mini, which I found too smaal for websurfing.

The 10.5 is easily the best iPad so far; excellent screen, great spacious sound (ideal for movies) very fast CPU etc.
Not for everyone, but if you are a heavy user that is looking for a large iOS-tablet, but not 12.7 large, this one is it.
Others will be happy with the iPad 2017, which gives remarkable value for far less money then the Pro.

I don't use it for ereading though, preferring e-ink for that.

I've decided it's a keeper.

While I still find a lot of iOS awkward in comparison to Android, I'm getting better at operating the tablet. I'm not sure it will be my main tablet, that's kind of a wait and see how I adjust to it. I don't really like the swipe to open the dock then swipe further to get to recent apps and control, because I often have to try several times to get in. Or several times to dismiss an app. Whereas in Android, a quick tap on recent button and I'm where I want to be instantly. Too many times in iOS I end up some place with no apparent way to go back to where I want to be. But it is very new to me still and hopefully will get less confusing with time. I wish the return window was longer....

I'm not 100% sure I'm making the right choice, but as a Wacom Cintiq would cost a lot more AND keep me tied to the desktop PC, I want to run with the iPad awhile and see how things go. My eyes don't like to do long sessions of image editing, I think the iPad could let me do 'bits and pieces' on the fly easier. And it's fun with the Pencil!

I'm kind of puzzled by the iPad's sound though. On some games it is nice, on others, kind of murky sounding. Like I'm hearing things under water. The same games sound bright and crisp on my Pixel C.

Love the TrueTone, screen is very nice, and love editing images with the Apple Pencil.

I too, prefer e-ink for reading, but it's nice being able to finally see how my ebooks look on iOS! That was a worry with a family ebook project, because my family is a mixed lot with devices. I am double-mixed now with Android/iPad and Kobo/Kindle!

Affinity Photo may be a bit buggy yet, did have a VERY DISTRESSING incident where my editing layer just disappeared. There's no way I accidentally deleted it, the layers studio was NOT open and neither my hands or Pencil was anywhere near the layers studio which is up in the top right corner. I was in a very zoomed in mode, so didn't notice right away when the disappearance took place and saved meanwhile. 2 hours of painstaking clean up work gone! And no trace in the history.

Now, in addition to saving frequently, I'm making copies as my work progresses. That way, if something untoward happens again, I won't lose every single bit of work. I have been able to successfully export images I've worked on back to Photoshop and do some further editing there.

Need to try a different folio case. This STM Dux has good reviews and good drop protection and a place for the Pencil, but just isn't feeling good in my hands. That, and the wake button is impossible to press for a screenshot.

Sorry for long ramble, it's just a whole new experience and not a terribly easy one so far. I didn't realize how complicated iOS was! I guess that's why the user manual is 549 pages!!!!! I looked to see what the Nexus 7 manual ran, and it was 80 pages.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 03:33 PM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I wasn't aware there was a user manual! Where is it?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2017, 09:39 PM   #18
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post

iBooks store. It's called iPad User Guide iOS 11.

I think there was some Tips app that mentioned it when I first got this thing started up, so I downloaded it right away in case I really get stuck with something.

Don't often see user guides that large!

Old 10-05-2017, 12:31 PM   #19
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
I use Marvin to get my ebooks. If your book is in pdf form, there are many nice pdf reading apps. I prefer GoodReader. Integrates with Dropbox and many others.

Take your time, you have a wonderful device that will be able to do everything you need...just not perhaps in the way you are used to doing them.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 12:35 PM   #20
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Have you loaded the Dropbox app on your iPad? You should be able to go there then "open in" when you click on a file.
Advert
Old 10-05-2017, 02:25 PM   #21
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
The is always an Apple manual. Use iBooks to find it and download the PDF.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 10:59 PM   #22
graycyn
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
I use Marvin to get my ebooks. If your book is in pdf form, there are many nice pdf reading apps. I prefer GoodReader. Integrates with Dropbox and many others.

Take your time, you have a wonderful device that will be able to do everything you need...just not perhaps in the way you are used to doing them.

Lee

Most of my books are epub, so no real problem on the reading app front. iBooks is kind of like Kindle though, I get a font size that is slightly too small, then next size up is too large. But there's other apps to use. Marvin seems very nice.

It's the gesture thing that makes me frustrated. It almost always takes more than one try to get to control center or close out an app I'm done with. I'm impatient and hate that, since such things just work in Android. Having to do extra is not just an annoyance for me, thanks to an old RSI injury to my arm, extra stuff address up and causes pain.

It's why I gesture type and won't likely buy a smart keyboard. Only regular keyboard I can type on is the Microsoft ergonomic one. Google's keyboard was installed on my iPad first thing!

But using the Pencil to edit images is a delight and a half! So I'm good. My games play well and that's good too, though I may tend to use the Pixel C more for that. I hope to be able to keep this device for some years as my 'graphics tablet' so I don't want to put too much wear on the battery from games.

I did notice that Google has joined the pen fray with their new Chromebook, but until there's good apps (besides a Photoshop subscription) that won't do. But I can hope their next tablet will work with a pen and who knows, maybe Affinity would consider an Android app.....

Meanwhile, I'm going to enjoy my iPad and Pencil! Was scanning some book illustrations tonight, 37 of them! Even with this iPad, that's going to be quite the project!

Old 10-05-2017, 11:02 PM   #23
graycyn
Wizard

Quote:
Have you loaded the Dropbox app on your iPad? You should be able to go there then "open in" when you click on a file.

Yes, Dropbox is on and I can put ebooks on from there. I've got all my cloud storage account apps installed. Files app seems to work pretty well for accessing stuff.

Old 10-06-2017, 09:14 AM   #24
leebase
Karma Kameleon

Tips:
- single tap home button to get back to the first page on your ipad. Works everywhere
- double tap to bring up your list of "running" apps. Apple is very efficient in handling background apps. You almost never need to actually close an app. Just because you see an app in this list does not mean it's running and taking up much resources
- swipe down completely from the top to bring up notifications
- swipe down but not starting from the very top to bring up most recent apps (I think there is some AI going on to present you likely choices) and a search box. Typing the first letter or two will bring up the app you want to navigate to
- from the first page, swipe left to get to your widgets, what is there and the order they show are configurable
- 3D Touch - press firmly (it's force sensitive) on any icon to see a list of shortcuts. I find the bluetooth choice on the settings app useful, as well as the count down timer on the clock app (when I go to sleep at night it's the last thing I do so that music turns off after 45min)

Lee
Old 10-07-2017, 12:12 AM   #25
graycyn
Wizard

Quote:
Tips:

- single tap home button to get back to the first page on your ipad. Works everywhere

- double tap to bring up your list of "running" apps. Apple is very efficient in handling background apps. You almost never need to actually close an app. Just because you see an app in this list does not mean it's running and taking up much resources

- swipe down completely from the top to bring up notifications

- swipe down but not starting from the very top to bring up most recent apps (I think there is some AI going on to present you likely choices) and a search box. Typing the first letter or two will bring up the app you want to navigate to

- from the first page, swipe left to get to your widgets, what is there and the order they show are configurable

- 3D Touch - press firmly (it's force sensitive) on any icon to see a list of shortcuts. I find the bluetooth choice on the settings app useful, as well as the count down timer on the clock app (when I go to sleep at night it's the last thing I do so that music turns off after 45min)

Lee

One of my games tends to be pretty demanding, generally I prefer to close down anything else running before playing. The day my app store froze attempting to update, I didn't realize it and hadn't closed it and my Golf Star swing meter was very stuttery. So that's why I prefer to shut everything down for playing that game.

I tried double tapping the home button, but it only took me to a home screen, not recent apps?

Is there any gesture to get out of the camera app? I sometimes manage to swipe that open and the only way I've found to get out is to click the home button.

The new case came today, I like it better, it's more comfortable to hold the tablet in the new case. And it doesn't take the strength of ten to use the sleep/wake button. I think the sound has improved a little. The old case had cut-outs, but Golf Star sounds brighter and crisper, less murky with the new case, so I think somehow the old case was muting things. It's going back to Amazon.

I had found the widgets already and configured them. I will try the swipe down for recent apps, thanks!

Old 10-11-2017, 07:29 PM   #26
graycyn
Wizard

I'm getting along better as I go. Even if I'm not a big fan of the iOS way, I love being able to pick the tablet up and do a bit of image editing any point I have a few spare minutes.

Still experimenting with cases. The STM Dux went back to Amazon yesterday. I simply didn't have the strength necessary to push the sleep/wake button for screenshots.

Currently using UAG Metropolis, that's better for screenshots, but still a bit awkward. And could be more comfy to hold. So I bought a Speck case for about half price on eBay and will try that when it arrives.

Old 10-12-2017, 03:36 AM   #27
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post
Is there any gesture to get out of the camera app? I sometimes manage to swipe that open and the only way I've found to get out is to click the home button.
That's the way you do it in iOS. Tap the app icon to launch it; press the Home button to get back to the home page. If you do genuinely want to shut an app down (and there's rarely any reason to do so), double-press the Home button to get to the app-switcher, swipe through to find the appropriate app, then drag it up to kill it.

As far as cases go, I've always been partial to Apple's "Smart Covers". A simple magnetic attachment and it provides good protection for the screen, as well as being usable as a stand to prop up the iPad in landscape orientation.

Last edited by HarryT; 10-12-2017 at 05:11 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 07:25 PM   #28
graycyn
Wizard

Quote:
That's the way you do it in iOS. Tap the app icon to launch it; press the Home button to get back to the home page. If you do genuinely want to shut an app down (and there's rarely any reason to do so), double-press the Home button to get to the app-switcher, swipe through to find the appropriate app, then drag it up to kill it.

As far as cases go, I've always been partial to Apple's "Smart Covers". A simple magnetic attachment and it provides good protection for the screen, as well as being usable as a stand to prop up the iPad in landscape orientation.

I guess I keep hoping I don't have to press a button, but I guess I'll live if that's the way.

I thought about a back case and a smart cover, but given my grip strength is not what it was before the RSI injury, I decided I wanted to start with a case that had good drop protection. That and I have 3 cats who have little respect for personal space or property, LOL!

Just tried touching up some screened B/W photos from a book I'm doing, did 2 in the time it usually takes to do ONE on the computer. The book (from the 50s) had just published the photos with dust spots and hair and imperfections all intact, VERY distracting! My ebook will have lovely photos! It makes such a difference!

I'm loving the image editing, it really is exactly what I was hoping for and to me, worth the price of admission! It's so nice not having to be tied to the computer for that! I had the tablet with me the other day while running errands, stopped for lunch and got a bit of work done while waiting for food.

I saw there's an iOS update today, haven't done it yet, hope that goes well.... Makes me nervous, thought the app store was maybe going to freeze again updating Dropbox earlier. It did eventually update tho, just took forever.

Old 10-16-2017, 02:58 PM   #29
webjunk
Enthusiast
webjunk began at the beginning.

Device: None
Be aware that at some stage you will be forced to assign a different password to your iCloud account. All part of increased security.

IOS11 is rather different to previous versions and good luck getting to grips with it.
Experiment with multi finger gestures.
And to see open apps just swipe up from the bottom - you need to swipe up to around half way. Just a smaller swipe up for the taskbar.
webjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 12:07 PM   #30
graycyn
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by webjunk View Post
Be aware that at some stage you will be forced to assign a different password to your iCloud account. All part of increased security.

IOS11 is rather different to previous versions and good luck getting to grips with it.
Experiment with multi finger gestures.
And to see open apps just swipe up from the bottom - you need to swipe up to around half way. Just a smaller swipe up for the taskbar.
Great. Just what I need is further password grief. I remember how the iCloud program on the computer wouldn't recognize my Apple ID ... until I signed in via the web browser. After which, it suddenly was OK with the same exact password it had rejected like five times before!

Anyway, thanks for the heads up on the password business! I'm dreading it after my initial experiences with both iCloud and getting the iPad connected with wifi, but at least it won't take me by surprise.

I'm still confused about how to add my Google stuff like contacts and have that sync with my Android devices (if that's possible), likewise for Chrome bookmarks. I don't see a Google contacts app in the app store. It would feel more useful as a tablet if I had access to all my regular stuff.

I also have a non-Google email that I need to access. But my Android mail program I love isn't in the app store and I'm not quite sure what to use for that yet. Guess I'll have to explore the App store. Except I'm kind of spent out and apps seem pricey.

Also have to find something like Metal, the app I use to avoid having any official Facebook apps on my device. It looks a lot like the Facebook app, you can access ALL your Facebook account stuff, but is actually a kind of wrapper for the Facebook website. Very light on resources.

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk