Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-08-2017, 05:12 PM   #1
Elim
Elim began at the beginning.

Device: none
Darker Font for Kobo Glowlight

Since it’ll be at least 2—3 months till I’ve put enough aside to buy a Kobo Glo HD, my dad offered to let me borrow his old Nook Glowlight (bnrv500).

Due to a litany of eye issues, I’m keen on the Kobo line for it’s font accessibility settings. Being able to turn the front light off is also essential. I got a chance to try the Aura One out recently, but I think the Glo HD is more suited to my needs (and budget!).

But back to this Nook Glowlight…

Is there anything I can do to get a darker font to read with? I’ve been trying to work with calibre, but I seem absolutely hopeless at it. I keep adjusting the settings in “look & feel” to add an embedded font, but it never follows over to the nook. Am I doing something wrong? I’ve also had mixed results with adjusting margins. I can change the right and left, but not the top and bottom.

Any tips from more experienced calibre users? Or perhaps another solution for my font trouble?
Elim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 05:16 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The Kobo Go HD is discontinued. Your best choice would be the Kobo Aura H2O Edition 2.

With the nook, I think you have to go into the font menu and select something like publisher font to show the embedded fonts.

But in looking for a font that is dark enough for eInk, you should give my modified version of Charis SIL (called ChareInk) a try. I use it and I don't need to up the weight at all.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=184056
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2017, 10:05 PM   #3
Elim
Elim began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The Kobo Go HD is discontinued. Your best choice would be the Kobo Aura H2O Edition 2.

With the nook, I think you have to go into the font menu and select something like publisher font to show the embedded fonts.

But in looking for a font that is dark enough for eInk, you should give my modified version of Charis SIL (called ChareInk) a try. I use it and I don't need to up the weight at all.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=184056
Hello again JSWolf!

My current issue with Calibre is that no matter what I do, the added font doesn’t stick. I’ll open it up in Calibre and it’s obvious the conversion went well and the new font has been set up, but as soon as I load it into the Nook, the font switches back to the original publisher’s font (the one the ebook was originally embedded with). It’s driving me crazy…

I found I can get a new Kobo Glo HD on Amazon/eBay for less than the H20 2nd edition. My main concern is reading without the light on, and I’ve found that capacitive layer screens have inferior clarity to infared in this situation. I compared a new Kobo Aura One with this Nook Glowlight from 2013, and the text on the Nook’s screen was much clearer and easier to read when the light was off. It’s limited font settings and lack of weight control are a real pain, though.

All I can say is that the Kobo Aura One has this weird defused quality to the screen when the light’s off…

Anyway, I noticed that the updated H2O also has the capacitive screen, unlike its predecessor. So I’m keeping well away.

I also found that 6.8”—7.8” screens are incredibly tiring to read on. Too much space. My eyes get tired from traveling up and down. I much prefer 6”.
Elim is offline   Reply With Quote