Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 11-10-2015, 10:29 AM   #1
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Calibre Companion - metadata only query

Hi

A year ago Chaley and eschwartz helped me by creating a python script for me which I then used to create an empty txt file in Calibre. This was so I could send Calibre metadata only to my Kindle Fire. I want the metadata on my fire but not 3500 ebooks.

I recently moved my Calibre library to dropbox and also my pc was 'serviced' during which calibre was removed and had to restore it from a back up, and now the python script no longer works, and I have no idea why. I've tried for days to work it out but I keep getting errors on the command prompt.

What i'm basicly asking is since the original script was created a year ago has anything changed in Calibre Companion that would alllow me just to send metadata or is it the books or nothing?

Thanks

Last edited by Josieb1; 11-10-2015 at 10:59 AM.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 11:09 AM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
@Josieb1: If you are running calibre 2.23 or later (an update since last April) then you no longer need the script. Calibre can create the "empty" text files for you. If you are not then I highly recommend that you upgrade.

The process:
  1. In calibre, search for books with no txt format. The search is
    Code:
    not formats:txt
  2. Select all the books the search found by pushing Ctrl A or whatever your OS normally uses for select all.
  3. Click the down-arrow on the Add Books toolbar icon. Choose "Add an empty file to selected book records". Choose "Add empty txt". Press OK. Calibre will work for a bit.
  4. Do the above three steps whenever you add books, or at least whenever you want to send books to CC.
  5. In CC, ensure that you have selected TXT files as the only desired format. Go to CC's Settings / Formats and folders and ensure that only "txt" is checked. CC is probably already set up this way.
From here on when you send a book to CC it will send an (almost) empty text file and all the metadata. When you connect as a wireless device, the metadata will be updated. I say "almost" because calibre puts the title and the author into the file.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2015, 11:25 AM   #3
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
@Josieb1: If you are running calibre 2.23 or later (an update since last April) then you no longer need the script. Calibre can create the "empty" text files for you. If you are not then I highly recommend that you upgrade.

The process:
  1. In calibre, search for books with no txt format. The search is
    Code:
    not formats:txt
  2. Select all the books the search found by pushing Ctrl A or whatever your OS normally uses for select all.
  3. Click the down-arrow on the Add Books toolbar icon. Choose "Add an empty file to selected book records". Choose "Add empty txt". Press OK. Calibre will work for a bit.
  4. Do the above three steps whenever you add books, or at least whenever you want to send books to CC.
  5. In CC, ensure that you have selected TXT files as the only desired format. Go to CC's Settings / Formats and folders and ensure that only "txt" is checked. CC is probably already set up this way.
From here on when you send a book to CC it will send an (almost) empty text file and all the metadata. When you connect as a wireless device, the metadata will be updated. I say "almost" because calibre puts the title and the author into the file.
Thank you so much, i'm running 2.43 and it worked perfectly.

I can do that everytime I load a book now.

Shows how out of touch I am
Old 11-10-2015, 03:25 PM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Also, I forget where the thread was (and since you don't need it I won't bother to search for it) but I remember you originally had some difficulty editing the script to know where your calibre library is.
Not surprising, since I don't automatically expect people to be comfortable modifying python scripts.

But it underlines the fact that the script hardcoded the location of your calibre library -- which means moving the library breaks the script.

Sometime before the calibre update (I think) but after I gave you the script, I updated it to find the library using calibre's configuration -- no need to edit anything.
Now it is a moot point, since calibre includes the aforementioned option but of course if someone was stuck on WinXP the script is still useful. (Wherever it is.)
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 03:39 PM   #5
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Also, I forget where the thread was (and since you don't need it I won't bother to search for it) but I remember you originally had some difficulty editing the script to know where your calibre library is.
Not surprising, since I don't automatically expect people to be comfortable modifying python scripts.

But it underlines the fact that the script hardcoded the location of your calibre library -- which means moving the library breaks the script.

Sometime before the calibre update (I think) but after I gave you the script, I updated it to find the library using calibre's configuration -- no need to edit anything.
Now it is a moot point, since calibre includes the aforementioned option but of course if someone was stuck on WinXP the script is still useful. (Wherever it is.)
Thank you eschwartz

I do have the thread bookmarked and the scripts you gave me from post 35 on that thread saved to my PC, posting here was a last resort.

I've been playing around since the weekend trying to edit the script with my new Calibre Library location, which is still on my C drive just in my Dropbox folder, but it wouldn't work. I kept getting errors when running the script.
Advert
Old 11-10-2015, 07:20 PM   #6
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I'm not at all comfortable with the idea of storing a calibre library in a Dropbox folder; I'd be very scared of replications from the cloud to the PC corrupting the library.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 09:01 PM   #7
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I'm not at all comfortable with the idea of storing a calibre library in a Dropbox folder; I'd be very scared of replications from the cloud to the PC corrupting the library.
I understand your caution. I can say for myself that it's a risk I'm willing to take as it makes my library ten times more useful to me and the way I use it. Been using it since 2010 without a problem. It is of course not the only copy of my books though.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 12:24 AM   #8
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
It's more missing items I occasionally get but I have three pcs that feed from one calibre library so yes I do need to be careful. It is backed up of course but so far (it's been like this since August) it's working okay. It's the most sensible solution for me.
Old 11-11-2015, 01:14 AM   #9
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
My approach is to use a tool called Always Sync. I do a one way sync. from my calibre library (stored in C:\Users\Peter\Documents\Peter's Library) to my local Dropbox (c:\users\Peter\DropBox\CalibreLibrary) and then let DropBox do what it wants.

Because the replication is one way only from my calibre library, if any errors were to happen with DropBox they would not be replicated back to my live library.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 08:47 AM   #10
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
My approach is to use a tool called Always Sync. I do a one way sync. from my calibre library (stored in C:\Users\Peter\Documents\Peter's Library) to my local Dropbox (c:\users\Peter\DropBox\CalibreLibrary) and then let DropBox do what it wants.

Because the replication is one way only from my calibre library, if any errors were to happen with DropBox they would not be replicated back to my live library.
Your method is much safer and I would advise your method to everyone. That said, I've had my library in Dropbox for 6 years with few hiccups.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote