Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 04-08-2012, 05:39 AM   #1
gypsyman
gypsyman began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy and Nook
Trying to sync with Samsung Galaxy Tablet

I have a nook and have just replaced it with a Samsung Galaxy Tablet. I am trying to sync my Calibre with it like I did the nook but it is not working. ALso when I try to sync with a folder option it does not see the galaxy at all. I can copy the books manually to the Galaxy and read them but then I lose the benefits of Calibre.
gypsyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 05:40 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Calibre can only sync to devices that can expose their storage as if it were a USB hard drive. I do not think that the Samsung (which is Android based) can do this?
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2012, 05:45 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq....d-phone-tablet
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:09 AM   #4
gypsyman
gypsyman began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy and Nook
I need help with the content server setup. I tried to set it up and my tablet returns an error stating that the webpage may be temporarily down or moved.
gypsyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:44 AM   #5
krischik
Addict
krischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheese

Device: P990i, PRS 505
Smile Media Transport Protocol

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
Calibre can only sync to devices that can expose their storage as if it were a USB hard drive. I do not think that the Samsung (which is Android based) can do this?
Well, USB Mass Storage was the default transfer protocol used for Android 1 and 2. With Android 3 (which includes most Tablets) the Android switched to MTP (Media Transport Protocol).

Advantage for MTP is that you don't have to format the card with FAT32 — which gives better overall performance. And build in Memory does not need to be partitioned. Problem with partitions is that one of them tend to fill up first.

I don't need to tell you the disadvantage of MTP. You found that out already.
krischik is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2012, 01:10 PM   #6
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
Unfortunately the only way I have found to move my books to my 10.1 Tab is to save them to disk and then manually move them to the Tab. This method works for me because the Tab is not my main reading device. Though I will say I usually download what I want to read from my dropbox rather than using Calibre.
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:49 AM   #7
mopar400
mopar400 began at the beginning.

Device: asus eee transformer prime
I found a way to transfer from Calibre to my MTP Android (Asus Transformer Prime)
All you need to to is install Samba Filersharing on your tablet.
Then search your network with your PC it will shouw up as ANDROID or what ever you name it. You can then move to the directory that your keep your ebooks in and map that directory as a drive letter. Then in Calibre us the transfer to folder.
mopar400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 03:29 AM   #8
krischik
Addict
krischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheese

Device: P990i, PRS 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by mopar400 View Post
All you need to to is install Samba Filersharing on your tablet.
That does not sound like an “all you need” but more like a mayor hassle and security nightmare. Hit: It will show off as ANDROID to anyone in the same WiFI realm.
krischik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 04:26 AM   #9
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
What I do:
- Create a folder on my desktop machine (Windows) that will be a proxy for my Galaxy Nexus (runs Android 4). Put this folder under control of dropbox, or some other cloud storage. The rest of these directions assume dropbox.
- Use calibre's "connect to folder" option to treat the above folder as a device.
- Send books, delete books, etc from this folder device.
- Install dropbox on your android device.
- Install dropsync on your android device so that you can do bulk folder transfers to an arbitrary folder on your phone. Set up dropsync to transfer the proxy folder to your reader app's import folder. If you want, tell dropsync not to transfer the .metadata.calibre and .driveinfo.calibre files.
- When you change the proxy folder, tell dropsync to transfer the folder. Voila, the folder on your phone matches the proxy folder on your desktop.

Of course, if an MTP connection from your desktop machine to your phone works (didn't for my on my old XP laptop), you can forget about dropbox/dropsync and manually sync the folders. This what (I think) nynaevelan does, but using save to disk instead of connect to folder. I prefer connect to folder because that gives me the "on device" indicators, which I use to determine whether I need to add or remove a book from the proxy folder.

I use FBReader, which automatically rebuilds its book database from the contents of the book folder. When I delete a book from the proxy folder on my desktop, it will be deleted from my phone by dropsync. FBReader will forget about it without any further action from me. When I add a book and do the transfer, FBReader will add it.

I failed to make Aldiko do the adding and deleting automatically. I haven't tried Moon+, Kindle for Android, or any other reading app.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote