Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 06-12-2011, 10:14 PM   #1
dancingbacon
dancingbacon began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi
Exclamation Kindle 3 scans 2 worms and 1 spyware after using Calibre?

I've only used Calibre to put ebooks onto my Kindle 3 so far, and it hasn't been connected to wi-fi. I scanned it the other day and it showed up with joiiruw.exe, x.exe and ert.dll.
My anti-virus has deleted those files from the device, but now I'm not able to see any of my files by just going through My Computer. Calibre still shows all of the ebooks on the device. Using Calibre to switch more ebooks onto the device hasn't shown any other viruses, but I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem?

Also, is there a way to fix it so I can see the files through My Computer again? I'm thinking maybe just to do a reset to factory default.

Any ideas?
Thanks.
dancingbacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 10:41 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancingbacon View Post
I've only used Calibre to put ebooks onto my Kindle 3 so far, and it hasn't been connected to wi-fi. I scanned it the other day and it showed up with joiiruw.exe, x.exe and ert.dll.
My anti-virus has deleted those files from the device, but now I'm not able to see any of my files by just going through My Computer. Calibre still shows all of the ebooks on the device. Using Calibre to switch more ebooks onto the device hasn't shown any other viruses, but I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem?

Also, is there a way to fix it so I can see the files through My Computer again? I'm thinking maybe just to do a reset to factory default.

Any ideas?
Thanks.
Calibre only copies book files to your device, so if they were there, something put them there.
Note,: It is possible to imbed executable's into RAR and ZIP and EPUB.
The source of those files should be blacklisted if you ever find an infection
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2011, 12:31 AM   #3
lestatar
LB's lolz Mutt Minion
lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, GalaxyTab, BB Bold9700, BB 8300, Sony Clie, Palm Vx, Palm III
^ Yup, spot on. I think I would look elsewhere instead of calibre. I personally have never seen, nor heard of this kind of thing with calibre until now.
lestatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 05:26 AM   #4
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Calibre ships uninfected from the two main download sites (Sourceforge and Google Code, the latter one is the download you get from calibre-ebook.com). If you got it there, it could have been infected after being installed on your PC. Don't download from other download pages, as there's no guarantee what you'll get.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 08:05 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Many viruses are designed to automatically propagate themselves by copying themselves to connected floppies/usb drives, which is most likely how the virus got on your Kindle.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
folders, spyware, worms