Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-31-2012, 12:16 PM   #31
aztec999
aztec999 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@aztec999: Nope, as soon as you move over a word separator (ie. select more than one word), it's a highlight, not a definition. That hasn't changed.
great, thx, that was just what i wanted to know

so how could i see it, oxford dictionary HAS that word(or better-words); could i see it by typing it in the dictionary?

Editk, it seems it can i found a great video showing kindle at work.

Last edited by aztec999; 10-31-2012 at 01:01 PM.
aztec999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 12:02 AM   #32
Deja Moo
Enthusiast
Deja Moo can illuminate an eclipseDeja Moo can illuminate an eclipseDeja Moo can illuminate an eclipseDeja Moo can illuminate an eclipseDeja Moo can illuminate an eclipseDeja Moo can illuminate an eclipseDeja Moo can illuminate an eclipseDeja Moo can illuminate an eclipseDeja Moo can illuminate an eclipseDeja Moo can illuminate an eclipseDeja Moo can illuminate an eclipse

Device: PaperWhite
To look up a two word phrase; select the phrase,hit 'space', and right scroll to dictionary.

You can do a lot of things, if you just keep fooling around.
Deja Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2012, 10:25 AM   #33
PoP
 curly᷂͓̫̙᷊̥̮̾ͯͤͭͬͦͨ ʎʌɹnɔ
PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3₃.₄.₃ PW3&4₅.₁₃.₃
Wow. That one was well hidden. Thanks Deja Moo!
PoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:03 AM   #34
intangible
e-Dictionary Publisher
intangible doesn't litterintangible doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
You can look up two-word phrases on Touch and Paperwhite. If the phrase or compound word you attempt is not in the dictionary, however, then it won't give you any sign that it tried a lookup--it will just prompt you to do a highlight as NiLuJe mentioned.

It takes some searching to find cases where it works. I just did a test, and was able to look up the following words on the Paperwhite with Merriam-Webster's Collegiate set as default:

machine gun
Middle Ages
United Kingdom
Burkina Faso
New York
automatic pilot
Ice Age
intangible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:42 PM   #35
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Nice trick indeed!

And, much to my surprise, while testing this on a PW 5.3.0, it appears that this is not even needed anymore, if the compound word is in the dictionary, highlighting it pops the definition up directly! o_O.

EDIT: Which is what intangible just said, I believe. Duh'. /me goes back to his cave.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2012, 05:50 PM   #36
yusayit
yusayit began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
problem with romanian dictionary

The link on mediafire is broken, there is no file any more. So if you can put a new link I would be gratefull. Thanks
yusayit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:07 PM   #37
Shizuka
Shizuka began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Using the kindle default dictionary

Dear all,
I've a problem that's bugging me almost since the day I bought my Kindle 3. I read both books bought by amazon and books bought or written in other format ( i.e html, doc, odt and pdf). I find very usefull the feature of searching in the english default dictionary during the reading ( I'm not a native english spieaker) but I don't know how to make available this feature also for books that aren't native mobi.
For examble:
I've the novel "novel.odt" and I want to convert it in mobi to be able to read on my kindle. How do I have to do so the I'd able to use the search feature on this (new) mobi? What parameter, feature or setting I have to focus on?

Thanks in advance
Shizuka
Shizuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:36 AM   #38
Shizuka
Shizuka began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
I solved the problem myself. I use calibre for covert html and epub in mobi, but my calibre Gui is set to my own language (not english) and It's seems that calibre assumes that all the book I convert are in the same language. This is why I can't use the english dictionary with new converted books. To solve the problem I have to edit the books metadata and set the language to english, then I can convert the book in mobi format and everything works.
Shizuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:34 AM   #39
papierflieger
papierflieger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.papierflieger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.papierflieger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.papierflieger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.papierflieger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.papierflieger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.papierflieger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.papierflieger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.papierflieger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.papierflieger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.papierflieger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Not sure if I should open a new thread for this, but does anyone here know about a Korean-English dictionary? I'm learning the language and I'd very much like to read short Korean stories and articles from the internet on my Kindle, so this would be a great resource to me. I've searched high and low, but such a thing either doesn't exist or I'm looking in the wrong places.
papierflieger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:37 AM   #40
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by papierflieger View Post
Not sure if I should open a new thread for this, but does anyone here know about a Korean-English dictionary?
Look for a free Korean-English StarDict or Babylon .bgl dictionary, convert it to a tab-delimited word list with PyGlossary and create your own Kindle dictionary using these instructions.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:28 AM   #41
papierflieger
papierflieger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.papierflieger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.papierflieger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.papierflieger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.papierflieger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.papierflieger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.papierflieger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.papierflieger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.papierflieger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.papierflieger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.papierflieger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
Look for a free Korean-English StarDict or Babylon .bgl dictionary, convert it to a tab-delimited word list with PyGlossary and create your own Kindle dictionary using these instructions.
Thank you, that was really quick! I'm not exactly sure how to use PyGlossary, are there instructions for this somewhere? And I guess I'm going to have to find a windows pc to follow the instructions found in the second link, is that right? (because there are .exe files in the dictionary creator zip archive)
Old 01-13-2013, 11:26 AM   #42
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Thank you, that was really quick! I'm not exactly sure how to use PyGlossary, are there instructions for this somewhere?
If you have a Mac, you'll have to launch the Python GUI by either executing pyglossary.pyw in the src folder or pyglossary.sh in the root folder.

Quote:
And I guess I'm going to have to find a windows pc to follow the instructions found in the second link, is that right? (because there are .exe files in the dictionary creator zip archive)
The instructions are indeed for Windows users, but if you know how to use the Mac shell you can also simply use tab2mobi.py to convert your tab-delimited file to a dictionary.

The command is: python tab2opf.py DICTIONARY.tab
If the source file is utf-8 encoded add -utf: python tab2opf.py -utf DICTIONARY.tab
(Obviously, you'll have to replace DICTIONARY.tab with the name of your tab-delimited Korean-English text file, which should be utf-8 encoded.)

This will generate Kindle source files that you'll need to compile by opening the .opf file with KindlePreviewer.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:36 AM   #43
papierflieger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
If you have a Mac, you'll have to launch the Python GUI by either executing pyglossary.pyw in the src folder or pyglossary.sh in the root folder.

The instructions are indeed for Windows users, but if you know how to use the Mac shell you can also simply use tab2mobi.py to convert your tab-delimited file to a dictionary.

The command is: python tab2opf.py DICTIONARY.tab
If the source file is utf-8 encoded add -utf: python tab2opf.py -utf DICTIONARY.tab
(Obviously, you'll have to replace DICTIONARY.tab with the name of your tab-delimited Korean-English text file, which should be utf-8 encoded.)

This will generate Kindle source files that you'll need to compile by opening the .opf file with KindlePreviewer.
Great, thanks for all the help! I'm going to try to figure this out when I have some time.
Old 02-03-2013, 05:53 AM   #44
gouni
Connoisseur
gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo
For windows use if the source file utf-8 encoded :

tab2opf.exe -utf dict.txt
gouni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:30 PM   #45
nguyenvinh
nguyenvinh began at the beginning.

Device: không
Apparently there are a lot of problems with the dictionary support on the kindle fire

thank you very much
nguyenvinh is offline   Reply With Quote