Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-25-2011, 10:49 AM   #1
JainaSJedi
Enthusiast
JainaSJedi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Kindle Travel Chargers

I am taking an international trip to New Zealand and want to minimize the number of wall plugs that I bring for my gadgets. I would like to use my Ipod touch wall charger with the Kindle USB cord, but I want to make sure that I don't fry my Kindle.

The specs for the Ipod charger:
Input: 100-240V, 50-60 HZ, 0.2 A
Output: 5V DC (USB) -- 1.00 A

I tested it with my Kindle briefly, and the charging light lit up when it was plugged in, but I didn't test it for a long period of time. Will this charger work for the Kindle 3?

Opinions?
JainaSJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 10:55 AM   #2
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
it's not going to overcharge the kindle, so you do not need to worry about frying it.
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2011, 10:57 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I suggest not using any wall wart that works with an iPod. They tend to be non-standard.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 11:32 AM   #4
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Quote:
Originally Posted by JainaSJedi View Post
I am taking an international trip to New Zealand and want to minimize the number of wall plugs that I bring for my gadgets. I would like to use my Ipod touch wall charger with the Kindle USB cord, but I want to make sure that I don't fry my Kindle.

The specs for the Ipod charger:
Input: 100-240V, 50-60 HZ, 0.2 A
Output: 5V DC (USB) -- 1.00 A

I tested it with my Kindle briefly, and the charging light lit up when it was plugged in, but I didn't test it for a long period of time. Will this charger work for the Kindle 3?

Opinions?
As KK says: don't you worry about plugging your Kindle cord in the iPod touch wall carger. I've the same for my iPad and use it for Kindle, iPod and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
it's not going to overcharge the kindle, so you do not need to worry about frying it.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 11:39 AM   #5
JainaSJedi
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I suggest not using any wall wart that works with an iPod. They tend to be non-standard.
My ipod charger is not from Apple. It's a Kensington.
Advert
Old 01-25-2011, 11:41 AM   #6
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
like I said, it won't overcharge it. the only thing that may happen is you will not get a full charge, but given how long the K3s last anyway, that should be alright unless you are trekking and away from power for considerable lengths of time
Old 01-25-2011, 11:46 AM   #7
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
I must be missing something - the connector on the iPod end of my iPod Touch bears no resemblance to the end that goes into the Kindle.

You can get an iGo recharger with different tips for different devices. Mine has both automobile and wall plugs, and I have tips for my iPod Touch and for my Kindle. Very handy.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 01:58 PM   #8
JainaSJedi
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
I must be missing something - the connector on the iPod end of my iPod Touch bears no resemblance to the end that goes into the Kindle.

You can get an iGo recharger with different tips for different devices. Mine has both automobile and wall plugs, and I have tips for my iPod Touch and for my Kindle. Very handy.
To clarify, my Kensington is a USB wall adapter. Both the Ipod cord and the Kindle cord plug into the charger, which then plugs into the wall.

I looked into the iGo system, but I don't know if I want to purchase another charger and all the separate tips that go with it.
Old 01-25-2011, 03:47 PM   #9
screwballl
NewKindler
screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3 Wifi
The plug on the device themselves may be different, but on the USB side of the plug (the side that connects to the PC or charger), MOST devices should be universal. Since the Kensington is a universal charger and not device specific, it should work fine within the listed voltages (100-240V), although you will need a country/region specific adapter to make use of the different plug style with this charger.

New Zealand uses 10A, 240V, 50Hz outlets which is all within range of the charger itself, so all you will need is the plug adapter.

Amazon has a cheap adapter:

http://www.amazon.com/ATLONA-UNIVERS.../dp/B000VMA0KW

Also, make sure you only use devices rated at 100-240V and 50-60Hz with this adapter. If it is 110 only, or 60Hz only (or both) you will likely fry whatever item is plugged in to the adapter.
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 03:53 PM   #10
hedwig
Book Worm
hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad Air, iPad Mini, iPod Touch 5
I use the standard EU-USB wall charger with the same input and output specifications as yours and it works like a dream.
hedwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 04:47 PM   #11
Polyphemus
I am not The Stig
Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK-3g; PRS-350; Galaxy Tab 7.0+; Galaxy Tab 3 10.1
Why not pick one up at the airport after you get to New Zealand? If that's not possible, I would think they have something similar to a Best Buy there.

I saw a USB charger similar to hedwig's the last time I passed through the Amsterdam airport.
Polyphemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 05:38 PM   #12
JainaSJedi
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyphemus View Post
Why not pick one up at the airport after you get to New Zealand? If that's not possible, I would think they have something similar to a Best Buy there.

I saw a USB charger similar to hedwig's the last time I passed through the Amsterdam airport.
I do have an international plug adapter. I just wanted to limit the number of US chargers that I was bringing.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:01 PM   #13
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress

seriously, you'll be fine with the ipod charger, probably fine if you decide to do it vice versa even
Old 01-26-2011, 05:10 PM   #14
stargazir
Enthusiast
stargazir has learned how to buy an e-book online

Your cheapest option for a plug converter is Ebay. You can get them for $1. You can then attach your kindle to your ipod charger and the plug converter into the wall.

To state the obvious I just wanted to check that you know you can charge your kindle off a PC. If you're trying to minimise chargers though i'm guessing you may not be taking a laptop.
stargazir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 09:11 AM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazir View Post
Your cheapest option for a plug converter is Ebay. You can get them for $1. You can then attach your kindle to your ipod charger and the plug converter into the wall.

To state the obvious I just wanted to check that you know you can charge your kindle off a PC. If you're trying to minimize chargers though i'm guessing you may not be taking a laptop.
I don't trust those ultra-cheap power cords sold on eBay. I spend good money on my 650 and I do not want it damaged be some suspect power adapter. That is why I have one from iGo. I know it's more expensive, buy I know the quality is good and it will not damage my 650. If you get the wall adapter and the car adapter, then all you will need is the Blackberry tip.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote