Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 02-02-2011, 12:24 PM   #76
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dworth View Post
Might be worth mentioning, the BBC recently did a dramatisation of 'Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency' with Steven Mangan and Helen Baxendale. Still watchable here if you're in the UK:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00wqfl2

Not bad, though it was squashed into an hour.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
And I thought it was just us living in Asia

I too got the ever present "Not available in YOUR area".

I even had a look on a few site to see if it was available to buy. No luck yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
It's too bad that the BBC doesn't allow anyone from other "Regions" to view their content, but then again the American networks do the same as I am sure other countries.

Cheers
YouTube has it in 5 parts, starting here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Dristarg#p/u/0/DWChgTIEGUw
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 07:14 PM   #77
s1mp13m4n
Zealot
s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Oasis
I found out about the book from the computer geek culture. I was looking around many years ago on www.thinkgeek.com and saw this book. I finally checked it out from the library and have liked it ever sense. The movie was so bad that it was actually hard to stop watching. My favorite characters are Marvin and Authar Dent. I love the dry yet point blank humor and being a car guy I got the Ford Prefect joke.
s1mp13m4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2011, 03:27 AM   #78
Roger Manley
Roger Manley began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 650
A fascinating book from an author whose imagination and wit are enormous. This after 2 readings some years apart.

RM
Roger Manley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 07:41 PM   #79
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
Mindboggling satire set in space, not scifi at all. I consider Adams a modern day Jonathan Swift.

I have all books, obssessively munched away in small time. I wonder if it'd be legal to search and download the books in digital format since I've paid for the physical versions, but I digress.

I've also listened to the radio originals after reading them. Spot on voice acting, but I miss the minute Adams commentary in the narration...
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 11:43 AM   #80
HoopyFrood
Zealot
HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cruz e-reader, 2 Kindles and a Kindle DX, Sanza Clip
I know this about e-books but no mention is made of the audio book of HHGTTG read by Douglas Adams. It is wonderful.

I also have the two Dirk Gently books read by Douglas Adams. DGHDA is a great read but it is fantastic hearing it read by the author.
HoopyFrood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2011, 07:42 PM   #81
amo
Teaist
amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Aura ONE, Android cell phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namekuseijin View Post
I wonder if it'd be legal to search and download the books in digital format since I've paid for the physical versions, but I digress.
No, it wouldn't. It'd be like expecting free copies of the paperbacks if you've paid for the hardcovers already.

Quote:
I consider Adams a modern day Jonathan Swift.
Excellent point- modern day Jonathan Swift- now you got me thinking.
amo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 11:56 PM   #82
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by amo View Post
No, it wouldn't. It'd be like expecting free copies of the paperbacks if you've paid for the hardcovers already.
That only makes it harder for me to laboriously type away copies of my own books for my own digital consumption. Of course, time is money and I'd likely just throw in my trusty towel and buy a copy from Amazon...

Quote:
Excellent point- modern day Jonathan Swift- now you got me thinking.
many people just mindlessly repeat the many well-known geeky jokes but thoroughly forget the best Adams comes very subtle in the author commentary poking fun on our very own sillyness interspeced in the narration of foreign events. Finesses satire that people often fail to acknowledge in the face of space theme and geek jokes.
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 11:24 AM   #83
amo
Teaist
amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Aura ONE, Android cell phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namekuseijin View Post
many people just mindlessly repeat the many well-known geeky jokes but thoroughly forget the best Adams comes very subtle in the author commentary poking fun on our very own sillyness interspeced in the narration of foreign events. Finesses satire that people often fail to acknowledge in the face of space theme and geek jokes.
I think many people don't notice the satire, never mind "fail to acknowledge" it- which is one of the things that makes this a good book. Because it's not just satire, it's also a darn good story with lots of good jokes. Again, like Swift- I first read "Gulliver" in a collection of children's stories when I was about 8 and had no clue there was such a thing as social satire. It's multi-layered, and can be enjoyed as just a story. Some of Swift's other writings, they're pure satire, not story, and nobody reads them nowadays unless they're English lit majors. But the story of Gulliver endured. I think it's the same thing with Adams. You can read HHG just as a fun story and feel clever throwing around the geek jokes, and there's nothing wrong with that. And if you "get" the satire, you can feel even more clever.
amo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 11:43 AM   #84
philandjan
Trainee Old Git
philandjan doesn't litterphilandjan doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
I remember listening to the series when it was first broadcast on BBC radio and struggling with the technology to record from radio to cassette!

Yet here I am, years later and many, many Pan-Galactic Gargle Blasters too many, reading the books on a device smaller than the HHG itself. My Kindle even manages to talk to me in a strange voice (but nowhere near as eloquently as Peter Jones).

Now, if only I could get this teleporting thing to work properly. I've got my towel and I'm ready to go!
philandjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 12:13 PM   #85
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It was always the philosophical underpinnings of the humor in the series that made it a favorite of mine. I suppose that's why the idea of the babel fish as a proof of the non-existence of God always stuck with me.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:26 PM   #86
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by philandjan View Post
Now, if only I could get this teleporting thing to work properly.
Have you tried a fresh cup of really hot tea?
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 11:15 AM   #87
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
...Now, if only I could get this teleporting thing to work properly....
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Have you tried a fresh cup of really hot tea?
Agreed. A good Brownian motion generator may just do the trick.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:54 AM   #88
philandjan
Trainee Old Git
philandjan doesn't litterphilandjan doesn't litter

I teleported home last night,
With Ron and Sid and Meg.
Sidney took Meg's heart away
And I got Ronnie's leg.

Obviously I must be using the wrong kind of tea.
philandjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 10:03 AM   #89
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
I teleported home last night,
With Ron and Sid and Meg.
Sidney took Meg's heart away
And I got Ronnie's leg.

Obviously I must be using the wrong kind of tea.
Old 02-28-2011, 04:58 PM   #90
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Never leave home without your towel.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote