Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-13-2017, 01:37 AM   #1531
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by compurandom View Post
On the home screen, the bottom two tiles show about three random books from some selection.

I'd like to long press on one of those and rather than get the section they are from (my books, some category, recommendations, etc.) I'd like to be able to directly open one of the three books it randomly displays.
Minor nit: My experience is that the left hand bottom tile is the last three books added to your device while the right hand tile is the last author read for whom there are unread books. The selections are not random.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 03:27 AM   #1532
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Minor nit: My experience is that the left hand bottom tile is the last three books added to your device while the right hand tile is the last author read for whom there are unread books. The selections are not random.
Well, if you have open a book from a collection which fits some conditions (I don't really know which), the collection goes to the right hand tile in the second row and the author to the right hand tile in the first row when you have only one book or none.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2017, 07:40 AM   #1533
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, kobo forma
Random or not, I'd still like to be able to open one of the books it shows in its collage rather than the selection itself.
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 04:41 PM   #1534
stewacide
Groupie
stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O Ed. 2, Glo HD, Glo, Touch
If anyone from Kobo looks at this, WHITE-ON-BLACK MODE PLEASE!

I understand why they wouldn't want to advertize this feature, since it leads to heavy ghosting on eink, but at least include it as a hidden .ini toggle or something.
stewacide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 05:41 PM   #1535
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewacide View Post

I understand why they wouldn't want to advertize this feature, since it leads to heavy ghosting on eink, but at least include it as a hidden .ini toggle or something.
It is a hidden .ini toggle. I just don't recall the keyword.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2017, 07:03 PM   #1536
jcn363
absolute beginner
jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ka1
Quote:

you can edit .kobo/kobo/eReader.conf file and add the following

[FeatureSettings]
InvertScreen=true

Good luck!
jcn363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 12:44 AM   #1537
stewacide
Groupie
stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O Ed. 2, Glo HD, Glo, Touch
Is there any way to invert the screen on the fly? (without having to connect to a computer to reset)

E.g. using Kobo Start Menu perhaps?

A toggle in the Beta menu, a la the large print setting, would be amazing.
stewacide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 02:23 AM   #1538
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Is there any way to invert the screen on the fly? (without having to connect to a computer to reset)

The is long existing night-mode hack that has a method to turn it on and off while using the device. The thread about it is in the developers forum.

And I don't use KSM, but it might be possible for it to insert the entry in the config file before starting nickel. You would need to ask in the KSM thread.
Quote:
We can hope that now they have some support for screen inversion and new Kindle Oasis is getting it (don't know about the other Kindles) it might get added as a proper option.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 10:17 AM   #1539
ReaLx3m
Groupie
ReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura One, Pocketbook Inkpad 3 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerinnyc View Post
With the larger width of the Aura One, the four choices for tap zones are not sufficient for those of us who like to tap instead of swipe to change pages. Choices 2 and 3 (reading left to right in settings) have a back page column width that is way too wide to skip over with your thumb if you're holding the reader one-handed on that side; Choice 4 has a page forward bottom third of the screen that is way too low and small for my thumb to easily reach it (it should be at least the bottom two-thirds of the screen). I would ideally like a Choice 5 that is like Choice 1, except that all tap zones, save for bringing up options, are page forward (i.e., you only get to page back by swiping). See attached lousy sketch.

Now that Kobo, in the latest firmware, gives us the choice to choose swiping only or both tapping and swiping, I would love it if they went this one step further. Or, at minimum, significantly decreased the page back column widths in Choices 2 and 3.
Absolutely agree, not satisfied with the current choices.
As i frequently change hands, the only tap page turn option i find usable is the number 4.But its lackluster too.Naturally the thumb is about the middle of the reader(where the setting are in option 4) and i often have to reposition my hand to do a page turn and at times i accidentally activate settings.
The option you proposed seems logical, as i would suppose back is very rarely used and its mainly forward with the device of this kind. I would add small change though, by dedicating a small strip on the very bottom or top(ideally both choices) for going back(with the middle being settings).Attached pic to be clear what im talking about.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kobo Page Controls.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	9.8 KB
ID:	159522  
ReaLx3m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 12:10 PM   #1540
rogerinnyc
Addict
rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Forma and Aura One; Kindle Voyage; Galaxy Note 10
Not only is yours a better sketch, but the thin bar addition you propose makes sense and won't be accidentally hit. Let's hope Kobo is listening -- or someone figures out a patch to change the tap zones (I don't find KOReader, which does let you do that, an option I enjoy).
rogerinnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 01:58 PM   #1541
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:

You can do it with KSM. See this post for general information on the KSM configuration editor.
If you added already InvertScreen=true (or false) to the configuration file, you can immediately toggle the value between true and false with the configuration editor. Otherwise add the lines
Code:
InvertScreen=true
InvertScreen=false
under the section [FeatureSettings] in .adds\kbmenu_user\confoptions\nickel_conf_options. txt. You have to use a unix style editor for this.

You open the editor for the nickel configuration by selecting
  • "tools" > "nickel diverse.msh" > "edit nickel conf.sh"
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 11:24 AM   #1542
alt10
alt10 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Timestamped, device level, bookmark navigation please.

Something like that: long press on the center of the screen >> open a list with your latest bookmarks (from all your books).
alt10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 09:04 AM   #1543
JohhnyMix
Connoisseur
JohhnyMix began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo H2O V2
Please add a option to disable header in kepubs on h2O
JohhnyMix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 12:45 AM   #1544
ItalianUruguayan
Connoisseur
ItalianUruguayan makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneItalianUruguayan makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneItalianUruguayan makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneItalianUruguayan makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneItalianUruguayan makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneItalianUruguayan makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneItalianUruguayan makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneItalianUruguayan makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneItalianUruguayan makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneItalianUruguayan makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneItalianUruguayan makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Dear Kobo developers, please make your browser remember cookies! Every time you visit a website you have to log in again and again, which is a PITA.
ItalianUruguayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 05:17 AM   #1545
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohhnyMix View Post
Please add a option to disable header in kepubs on h2O
There are two patches that allow you to reduce the amount of space the header takes up. One is 33% and the other is 60%.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
feature requests, firmware, kobo