Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-13-2018, 05:15 PM   #61
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Whatever your personal opinion of Apple may be, they are an extraordinarily successful and profitable company. Clearly they're doing it "right" as far as their many customers are concerned.
Apple are one of the best examples of some people and their money are easily parted.

best wishes koboy
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 05:37 PM   #62
Gameboy213
Connoisseur
Gameboy213 can extract oil from cheeseGameboy213 can extract oil from cheeseGameboy213 can extract oil from cheeseGameboy213 can extract oil from cheeseGameboy213 can extract oil from cheeseGameboy213 can extract oil from cheeseGameboy213 can extract oil from cheeseGameboy213 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Onyx Boox Note 2 , Kindle Oasis 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSmitty View Post
I have the cover that amazon launched but then stopped. I actually like it and glad I got one.

Agreed. I have the fabric one and love it. I guess I got one of the good ones somehow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Gameboy213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 05:17 AM   #63
svenlind
Evangelist
svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Kobo Sage and Libra 2,Ipad mini 5
To return to the original topic. I still can't buy the Oasis and have decided that I am actually quite satisfied with my current reading devices.

Allow me to quote Aesop

Quote:
The Fox and the Grapes

One hot summer's day a Fox was strolling through an orchard
till he came to a bunch of Grapes just ripening on a vine which
had been trained over a lofty branch. "Just the thing to quench
my thirst," quoth he. Drawing back a few paces, he took a run and
a jump, and just missed the bunch. Turning round again with a
One, Two, Three, he jumped up, but with no greater success. Again
and again he tried after the tempting morsel, but at last had to
give it up, and walked away with his nose in the air, saying: "I
am sure they are sour."

It is easy to despise what you cannot get.
svenlind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 07:10 PM   #64
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
Quote:
Whatever your personal opinion of Apple may be, they are an extraordinarily successful and profitable company. Clearly they're doing it "right" as far as their many customers are concerned.
You make me laugh sir!
Especially when I think on how they were the first to introduce the $1000 phone; that cost them less than $200 to fabricate!

As you see, I'm not an apple fan, and as a result of this second trend which they started, now Android phones follow suit.
Because: "You won't buy our phones when we price them competitively at $250 a piece; that's why we overcharge them, so you'll put value into something that really costs us nothing to make".
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 07:22 PM   #65
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
You make me laugh sir!
Especially when I think on how they were the first to introduce the $1000 phone; that cost them less than $200 to fabricate!

As you see, I'm not an apple fan, and as a result of this second trend which they started, now Android phones follow suit.
Because: "You won't buy our phones when we price them competitively at $250 a piece; that's why we overcharge them, so you'll put value into something that really costs us nothing to make".
Be that as it may, Harry is spot on.

Quote:
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 11:28 PM   #66
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
You make me laugh sir!

Yes, Apple has a big profit margin, but they do not have over 80%. Keep it real, and please stop spreading false rumors that it costs less than $200 to fabricate (labor and materials and components).
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 09:28 AM   #67
TheSmitty
Addict
TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite SE, Libra 2, Oasis 3, Voyage, iPad Pro 11
Agreed that it costs Apple more than $200 to make iphone X. Estimates are $357 ( https://9to5mac.com/2017/11/06/how-m...apple-to-make/ )

But that does not include R&D costs for new capabilities of course.
TheSmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 12:48 PM   #68
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post

Yes, Apple has a big profit margin, but they do not have over 80%. Keep it real, and please stop spreading false rumors that it costs less than $200 to fabricate (labor and materials and components).
LeEco, is Indian. They made $250 phones,now for sale for $200, with a snapdragon 821 processor, that was more powerful than the $800 Samsung Galaxy S7 variants with Snapdragon 820.
Apple's iPhone 7, is very similar in technology.
Apple takes well over the 50% margin they're supposed to make.
And so does nearly any cellphone manufacturer that prices any phone over $350.

The most expensive part of a phone isn't the phone itself, but packaging and shipping, and storing.
Well, nowadays the phone is. But not because they cost $1k, but because the price is grossly inflated.

Pair that with non removable batteries, and lower prices phones with lacking ram, and you have a mishmash of lousy engineered waste products.
We're not talking about $20 phones here,
We're talking about a bi-annual cost of $800 or more, just to be able to be on the internet.
Because in reality, who still uses a phone to call, with all that social media and stuff?
Old 02-20-2018, 04:25 PM   #69
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
None of this has anything to do with the title of the thread.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 04:11 AM   #70
ProDigit
Karmaniac

..right..
The best answer is "nowhere!"
Just save your money for something better.
Old 02-21-2018, 09:24 AM   #71
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
..right..
The best answer is "nowhere!"
Just save your money for something better.
I couldn't be happier with my Oasis 2 -- it's outstanding. Kudos to Amazon!

And to stay on topic: amazon.com
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 11:37 AM   #72
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
I couldn't be happier with my Oasis 2 -- it's outstanding. Kudos to Amazon!

And to stay on topic: amazon.com
Well, the OP has already tried Amazon in the US, UK, and Germany multiple times.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 02:30 AM   #73
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Well, the OP has already tried Amazon in the US, UK, and Germany multiple times.
Buy from somewhere like eBay. That's how I got my original Sony PRS-500 when it was only sold in the US.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 08:02 AM   #74
svenlind
Evangelist
svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Kobo Sage and Libra 2,Ipad mini 5
Quote:
Buy from somewhere like eBay. That's how I got my original Sony PRS-500 when it was only sold in the US.
Well I did just that and bought the Oasis from a respected Danish reseller.
It arrived yesterday and I am very pleased with it.
svenlind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 09:30 AM   #75
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Excellent! Hope you enjoy it as much as I do.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote