Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-09-2018, 01:19 AM   #1
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
kindle edition ( guitar) books with audio/video

I see that many of my guitar playalong books (| e.g. Hal Leonard' series) are now offered as kindle editions with audio/video. hugely expensive though
there's a footnote saying audio/video is only on fire tablets, and another saying optimised for larger screens. the books are shown as compatible for all k e-ink kindles though.

I have some questions not answered in blurb or reviews, and some deep suspicions: what I'd like- for £12 per book - is zoomable or reflowing pages, integration between audio backing tracks and a scrolling tab display, and audio slowdown features that come as CD based software in the old book+CD versions that I already own.

what I suspect I'd get is pretty unreadable fixed, non zoomable images [ the free sample I checked had one of those], & no link between audio and display - just some tracks that you can separately download. Also, NO VIDEO at all - ( since there is non in the old school books ) , and no user controllable slowdown option ( as I cannot see how that could work on a Kindle or a fire tablet
in short I'd be paying £12 per kindle edition for a few PDF scans that I could make myself if I could be bothered.

I could buy kindle book and return it in 7 days if it is as bad as I expect it would be, but I have ethical qualms with that approach so I figured I would ask here first:

Does anyone have any experience of this " new" delivery format [i.e. any Kindle version of a book+CD instructional package] and thus can comment on the "enhanced features"

PS the amazon reviews combine comments on the paperback + CD version & the kindle versions so are not much help
here is the blurb:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Jazz-Greats.../dp/B00FXAI3GK
Length: 87 pages Optimised for larger screens
Available on these devices
Due to large size of this book, please connect your device to WiFi to download.
Kindle Edition with Audio/Video: Audio/Video content is available on Kindle Fire, Kindle Fire HD, iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch devices.

Last edited by stumped; 02-09-2018 at 01:23 AM.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 03:31 AM   #2
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I would just try a sample. It has one song with audio, which I assume is the same as the cd track. The text is reflowable, the sheet music is an image which you can zoom to fit your screen. At least with the iOS app, the audio control remains visible as you turn pages and with the usual lead in there is plenty of time to navigate to the sheet music image and zoom it. I thought it worked well on my iPad, at least when the chart is only one page, and would consider it superior to paperback + CD. More portable and convenient. But on a kindle it would be not so good.

I wish Jamie Abersold was available in digital format like this though I suppose I could scan rip and create such a thing from the ones I have.

Last edited by tomsem; 02-09-2018 at 03:41 AM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 03:53 AM   #3
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hmm, the sample I tried , on my fire hd10 tablet - said no audio
and I could not get the screen to zoom either - in the onboard kindle app
all I had in that sample was a single page of music

maybe I need to try more samples
or maybe the ipad is just a better device for this kind of thing ?

i agree with you re Abersold stuff, I have a lot in the inconvenient book format, though I did find a mega-(600MB) zip download that has lots of scanned pages for pretty much every jazz standard, from multiple sources.

I have yet to find a tablet renderer and indexing system for music PDFs that I really like though.
I use calibre companion for epubs but that is not good for separating epub ( books to read) from pdf ( music to play)

the free google play store PDF reader seems to be best at rapidly scrolling through large books - the rather primitiive pdf handling in bookarui or Moon+ reader is slow and unintelligent,
for now, I am putting music PDF sheets & books into my dropbox and ticking make available offline while I experiment with different tablet readers. and that way I can at least impose a folder structure.
I have a Kindle paperwhilte also but I think that is a non starter for music - it is just too small to be useful & I dont think it does audio at all.

PS the books + CD versions come with a crippled version of Amazing Slowdowner, crippled to work with only the specific supplied backing tracks CD
I own the full version of that software also, on PC, but for android I'd have to buy a separate version and I get fed-up of re-buying the same tools for each new device.
if it were a couple of £s then OK but it was £10+ for amazing slowdowner android the last time I looked

same with Guitar pro- I just paid them £35 to upgrade my PC guitar pro 6 to guitar pro 7 but they want another £5 for something that will work on kindle tablets. It gets silly- buy GP5- pay to upgrade to GP6, pay again to upgrade to GP7 - pay again for android, and doubtless if I bought an ipad that would be another pay again... at least ripping your own backing tracks CDs to mp3 still works and is almost legal

Last edited by stumped; 02-09-2018 at 04:01 AM.
Old 02-09-2018, 04:02 AM   #4
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
Hmm, the sample I tried , on my fire hd10 tablet - said no audio
and I could not get the screen to zoom either - in the onboard kindle app
all I had in that sample was a single page of music

maybe I need to try more samples
or maybe the ipad is just a better device for this kind of thing ?

i agree with you re Abersold stuff, I have a lot in the inconvenient book format, though I did find a mega-(600MB) zip download that has lots of scanned pages for pretty much every jazz standard, from multiple sources.

I have yet to find a tablet renderer and indexing system for music PDFs that I really like though.
I use calibre companion for epubs but that is not good for separating epub ( books to read) from pdf ( music to play)

the free google play store PDF reader seems to be best at rapidly scrolling through large books - the rather primitiive pdf handling in bookarui or Moon+ reader is slow and unintelligent,
for now, I am putting music PDF sheets & books into my dropbox and ticking make available offline while I experiment with different tablet readers. and that way I can at least impose a folder structure.
I have a Kindle paperwhilte also but I think that is a non starter for music - it is just too small to be useful & I dont think it does audio at all.
There should be little ‘buttons’ that you tap on to start audio playing. Should work on any Fire tablet. The buttons will be on page just before the sheet music. To zoom image try double tap. I think Touch and hold will bring up zoom icon otherwise. Spread pinch does not work until you are in zoom mode. I don’t have a fire at hand to try. But you can definitely zoom images.
Old 02-09-2018, 04:16 AM   #5
stumped
Wizard

thanks - spread pinch is all i tried.
Old 02-10-2018, 02:00 AM   #6
stumped
Wizard

update- i re-downloaded the sample. i was able to get zoom to work on the single page of music, after some tapping. but for audio - i found the play buttons & get cannot be played - download it again, ( which I had just done). so I don't think the sample book has any sample audio to test
zooming so that the page image fills the screen seems to be trial and error; there is nothing to tap which forces page to fill screen ? [ like you can in say desktop adobe reader ]
drifting off topic. I looked at the current state of play for slowdowner software & there is something called songsurgeon for PC that sells at a whopping 97 dollars.

the ronimusic site says slowdownder for android is available for USD 9.95 but google play store UK says £12.40. emailed the developer to say there seems to be a maths problem here - UK £ is worth a lot more more than US $, not less, so it ought to be about £7 not £12, but no reply

I also read that the android slowdowner ( but not the PC version that i own) now works with spotify - that would be very useful for me on PC, because I pretty much gave up hoarding my own MP3 collection in favour of legally streaming as needed. spotify ( using spotify connect to play to my device of choice & control from tablet) is my preferred playback tool nowadays. I don't use the Flac files that I painstakingly created from CDs because honestly I cant tell the difference between those & spotify premium's best rate.
there's no indication that the super expensive song surgeon works with spotify
there used to be another USA rival to amazing slowdowner - called gold something??? seems to have vanished.

the songsterr app - which I own - could do all the show the tab + play the backing, with speed controls and synchronised scrolling, if the tabs for the jazz play-along books I like were in songsterr - but they are not.

Not sure what the android guitar pro app is capable off - it has lots of bad reviews, and i don't think my rsi-plagued hands could cope with typing in my paperback books into guitar pro

But lack of any slowdown facility put me off buying the enhanced kindle books, at current prices. At 99p per book I'd buy lots but not at £12.

Last edited by stumped; 02-10-2018 at 02:18 AM.
Old 02-16-2018, 02:21 AM   #7
stumped
Wizard

as a final check on this format, i decided to check if the music scores would be extractable, as good quality images. seems they are. I downloaded the sample to K for PC, and calibre-converted the mobi to epub, then I could find the single page sample of music, and open it with picture manager
it looks to be a good quality jpg.
so one use for these ( still overpriced I think) books is as a source of hard to find printable music / tab for individual songs. without the stupid restrictions applied by sites that sell one-time-printable copies in scorch - where you get to try to print it once and only once - if you have a paper jam or spill coffee on it - tough..
arguably, ripping out the virtual "pages" from the kindle book , as jpg images, gives you more flexibility, as you can then crop, enlarge... or even just sellotape up to 3 pages together to lay across a music stand so you can play an entire song with no page turning

Last edited by stumped; 02-16-2018 at 02:23 AM.
Old 02-16-2018, 11:30 AM   #8
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

On my Fire HD8 (2017) things didn’t work as well as on iPad: you can zoom music chart to fit screen, or play the music track, but not both at the same time. The image has plenty of resolution but it is too small if not zoomed. I’m guessing it is the same on Android tablets.
Old 02-16-2018, 11:35 AM   #9
stumped
Wizard

As I suspected. There is no integration. You get a book, and you get some audio tracks. And they naughtily left on the cover claim that you can slow the audio.
I dont think any of the azw or mobi specs actually do audio or video within books
Old 02-16-2018, 11:48 AM   #10
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
As I suspected. There is no integration. You get a book, and you get some audio tracks. And they naughtily left on the cover claim that you can slow the audio.
I dont think any of the azw or mobi specs actually do audio or video within books
It works well enough on iPad but I understand one would want to be able to adjust the speed. Most music players won’t do that, however, so it is a bit much to expect a reading app to be able to do it (none do as far as I know). This could be done in a dedicated app, of which there are some (at least for iOS).
Old 02-16-2018, 11:59 AM   #11
stumped
Wizard

I agree it is too much to expect, but i am pretty sure Kindle book cover and the web page promises it, because they used the paperback book cover image, and they use one description for paper and Kindle editions.
And it is not just one book, it is a whole play along series. If the target device cannot show the music notation and play the backing Track at the same time, it is not really play along...?
Old 02-16-2018, 12:32 PM   #12
stumped
Wizard

update: I was unfair. this text appears only for the paper edition on the amazon web page, and not for the kindle edition
"The audio CD is playable on any CD player, and also enhanced so PC and Mac users can adjust the recordings to any tempo without changing pitch!"
but it is easy to get confused. the text changes as you tap either " kindle Edition" or "paper edition" boxes, and that sentence pops in and out. the test of the text is the same

so the dead tree + coffee cup platter edition has more features than the enhanced kindle edition

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Guitar-Play...8801985&sr=1-1