Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 02-04-2018, 03:34 PM   #1
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
Kindle Fire 7 on sale 39.99

Friday I picked up my Kindle fire 7. My first android type device. I'm a long time apple guy, but haven't bought a new iPad since my first iPad 1st gen and iPad mini 1st gen. I had one app I wanted controlling media (music) on an attached usb storage drive on a blu ray player. No iPad app available, left with only android as an option.

I read exclusively on my kindle voyage, iPad mini, and iPhone 7s plus. My only option for that app was android and the cheapest solution was a kindle fire 7. I picked one up at Staples Friday for 49.99. 8 GB version. I have need for that app though and I'll use it a lot, so I went for it.

Looked at amazon for book deal of the day today and noticed advertising that the kindle was on sale 39.99. I checked Staples and they had marked it down as well. Fortunately they have a 14 day policy of honoring markdowns, so I took my receipt back and got another 10 + tax back.

My impressions? It's not bad. Apps, even on my old iPads are a bit zippier, but they have old wi-fi (n, I'm guessing and probably not dual band) and are horrendously slow using safari. The kindle surfs the web quicker. Overall, I'm pleasantly surprised. It seems to work well though, and I haven't had any hiccups. I installed my blu ray player media app, HP42S scientific calculator emulator (HP42s Free), and Netflix. That's probably all I'll ever put on it. The only downside is the kIndle offers ever time you start it up. It takes about three actions to get to the home screen, as opposed to my voyage which takes one. I may have to pay the 15 bucks to get rid of 'offers', it's annoying. Note to amazon: I have yet to buy any thing on special offers just out of spite, in fact I try to totally ignore them on purpose.

Staples also had the amazon Kindle 7 case on closeout for 10 bucks, so I picked that up, it's sturdy, but I wish it had a locking feature, but it will suffice. So for a grand total of a Grant, I'm pleasantly surprised. I used the 10 bucks I got back and picked up a 16 gb micro sd card. I can envision downloading a couple of downloadable movies from netflix to have on hand during travel.

Last edited by drofgnal; 02-04-2018 at 03:36 PM.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 10:13 AM   #2
LovesEBooks
LovesEBooks rocks like Gibraltar!LovesEBooks rocks like Gibraltar!LovesEBooks rocks like Gibraltar!LovesEBooks rocks like Gibraltar!LovesEBooks rocks like Gibraltar!LovesEBooks rocks like Gibraltar!LovesEBooks rocks like Gibraltar!LovesEBooks rocks like Gibraltar!LovesEBooks rocks like Gibraltar!LovesEBooks rocks like Gibraltar!LovesEBooks rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle Voyage
I bought a Fire HD on Tuesday for this very reason! We’re an Apple family and I doubt that changes but for $15 I bought the protection plan. Now I will travel with my Kindle Fire and not worry about damaging it!
LovesEBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 10:52 AM   #3
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Kindle Fires are also great for a hospitalized family member or friend (or yourself). Works with most hospital WiFi. I installed Netflix and my bro was able to watch his anime instead if the pablum in hospital TV. They also fit in the drawer, so can be hidden while you go for tests. Just make sure to bring a wall plug and long charging cable. Oh and mark each piece with masking tape, your name and phone number.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 05:03 AM   #4
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
I used it traveling last week watching Star Trek The Next Generation TV shows I downloaded to the Fire at home. Great way to kill the time on an airplane. Paired it with my Bose noise cancelling headphones and all was good. One note, if you download movies or shows to the fire, make sure you have an SD card. There's not a lot of extra memory in the fire 7 at 8 GB. Also use standard resolution, no need for better on that small a screen.

The 7 has gone back up in price now to 49 bucks.

Last edited by drofgnal; 02-16-2018 at 05:52 AM.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote