Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-15-2018, 02:51 AM   #1
renswic
Enthusiast
renswic is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.renswic is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.renswic is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.renswic is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.renswic is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.renswic is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.renswic is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.renswic is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.renswic is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.renswic is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.renswic is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.

Device: 2018 PW4
Help with 2nd gen kindle

I was given a 2nd gen kindle toady. Trying to get it set up and it refuses to register to my account. Says that it cant connect. Im able to go to the store and download books so the wispernet/3g works.

I spent nearly 2 hours with kindle support, many restarts, resets later im told that because they were able register it on the website it must be a problem with the kindle and all they could do is offer 5% off a new device.

Honestly im rather annoyed, it felt that they were just wasting my time to build up to that offer.

Is there any way to make collections on an unregistered device?
renswic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 03:08 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Sounds to me as if it's a "blacklisted" device.

I'm not aware of any way to create collections on an unregistered Kindle, I'm afraid.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 08:22 AM   #3
renswic
Enthusiast
renswic is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.renswic is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.renswic is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.renswic is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.renswic is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.renswic is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.renswic is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.renswic is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.renswic is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.renswic is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.renswic is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.

Hmm. any way to fake the registration? Amazon reps never brought up that it might be blacklisted, and it does let them register it on their end of things
Old 02-15-2018, 08:53 AM   #4
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
There were critical updates a few years ago to the older Kindles, that if not done, prevent the device from connecting to Amazon.

It won't download over 3G, you need to do it manually. Look here:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...8702688&sr=1-5
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 08:55 AM   #5
renswic
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
There were critical updates a few years ago to the older Kindles, that if not done, prevent the device from connecting to Amazon.

Its on the current update
Old 02-15-2018, 08:56 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

But how do you account for the fact that the OP has stated that the device will connect to the Kindle Store? Clearly the 3G radio is working. The only thing I can think of which would allow connection to the store, but prevent registration, is blacklisting.
Old 02-15-2018, 09:20 AM   #7
renswic
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
But how do you account for the fact that the OP has stated that the device will connect to the Kindle Store? Clearly the 3G radio is working. The only thing I can think of which would allow connection to the store, but prevent registration, is blacklisting.
Wouldnt amazon be able to tell that though? I can even go to amazon.com and its listed as registered in my devices. Was just able to change it default device as well
Old 02-15-2018, 09:21 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I don't know, I'm afraid. One might have reasonably expected that to be so, but who knows?

If your time is worth anything to you, and given the fact that the K2 didn't cost you anything, if I were you I'd be tempted to take Amazon's offer and just get a basic Kindle. You seem to have already wasted a lot of time on this.
Old 02-15-2018, 10:33 AM   #9
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's been a long time, but I have a K2. It was running the 2.5.8 firmware for a couple of years before the Critical Update was released. Just because the device is showing 2.5.8, that doesn't mean the Critical Update has been run.

Look here, make sure to notice the "Kindle Services Update" as that is the update you need to run.

There was a lot of confusion on the old Amazon forums when this update was released. Users would see 2.5.8 firmware, and not install the actual update that was needed.

Adding...CS used to tell you if a device you were trying to register had been blacklisted because of being reported lost/stolen. I've no idea if they will still do that.

Last edited by Deskisamess; 02-15-2018 at 10:35 AM.
Old 02-15-2018, 10:34 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Look here, make sure to notice the "Kindle Services Update" as that is the update you need to run.
As I noted previously, though, if that update had not been run, the device would not be connecting to the Kindle Store, would it? The OP states that it can connect to the Kindle Store, but it will not register.
Old 02-15-2018, 10:46 AM   #11
Deskisamess
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
As I noted previously, though, if that update had not been run, the device would not be connecting to the Kindle Store, would it? The OP states that it can connect to the Kindle Store, but it will not register.
That is exactly what helped fuel the confusion for users back when the update was released. It seems to connect, but isn't really. Devices that were already registered could "see" the store, but couldn't download anything. If the old forums were still available, I could find the numerous lengthy threads about the issue. But they are not, and the legacy threads that were kept don't include any of those.

I think my old K2 still works, but it's at my mom's and I haven't look at it lately. I agree with the thought that it isn't worth spending much time on. No screen light, much clunkier to use compared to newer models. It's a 9 year old device.
Old 02-16-2018, 12:04 AM   #12
renswic
Enthusiast

I've done the Kindle services update with no luck.

It's for my 9 year old, he wanted a Kindle to read books like I do but having him scroll through 2-5 pages of books is going to get old for him
Old 02-16-2018, 01:53 AM   #13
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by renswic View Post
I was given a 2nd gen kindle toady. Trying to get it set up and it refuses to register to my account. Says that it cant connect. Im able to go to the store and download books so the wispernet/3g works.
Do you have firmware version 2.5.8? If it like a Kindle 3 that I recently repaired and updated, it would not connect to Amazon until I had the newest firmware installed.

Here's the page with download installation instructions.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...deId=200529740

Edit: Sorry for the redundancy. Deskisamess already brought this up.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote