Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-16-2018, 06:28 AM   #1
govindap
govindap began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Paperwhite Gen8
Bricked Kindle Voyage "Repair Needed"

It is going to be a long post, kindly bear with me.

The Specs:
Device: Kindle Voyage (Bought in 2014 November)
Firmware: The one before the latest 5.9.4 (5.9.3? or 5.9.2.0.1)
USB Cable: Came with JBL portable speakers
Wall Charger: ①Apple Adapter ②OnePlus 3 Dash Adapter
PC: Windows 10 64bit

Some Introductory Words:
I am a frequent user of my Kindle, reading an average of about 20 books per year. I charge it as per no particular rule, plugging it in whenever the battery level drops to half or below. I usually charge it to 80-100%.
I haven't used Linux and I don't dabble in the lingo like the wizards over here do. I have only used fastboot to the extent of rooting my phone (using idiot-proof instructions, still with much difficulty). However, I am willing to learn :)
I would like to avoid prying my Kindle open at all costs.

How it happened:
1. After using it heavily one day, I got the "Battery Level Critical" warning as an 'OK dialog box'.
2. I kept using it since I was out at the time and the battery icon still showed about 5-10% battery.
3. Upon reaching home, I plugged it in only to notice that the orange LED was flashing. That's odd, I mused.
4. I thought that a simple restart shall fix the thingy. That's when the dreadful "Repair Needed" screen reared its ugly head. (See the attachment)
5. I thought another restart might do the trick. And it did! At least then.
6. First thing I did was to copy all the files from the USB storage on to my PC. (I didn't know about the advanced backup method then.)
7. Then I charged it to 100% overnight.
8. I used it normally for a couple of days.
9. Yet when I plugged it in again, the LED was flashing. I restarted it, only to have bricked my Kindle.

Troubleshooting I've done yet:
1. Now when I plug it in (PC/wall), the LED either flashes or doesn't light up at all.
2. When plugged into the PC, it used to show a removable drive (transparent icon), which when clicked showed the error "Please insert a disc into the USB drive F:/".
3. When I restarted whilst connected to PC, I was hoping to see USB storage for a while during the screen flashing stage, but I didn't. It just disappeared and reappeared again, with the accompanying ting. The flashing of the LED stops, and resumes when I disconnect and reconnect the Kindle.
4. Then I came across posts that mentioned fastboot etc. and that I needed libusb drivers for it to work. So I downloaded "Zadig - The Automated Driver Installer (Version 2.3 [Build 701])". I proceeded to replace the driver with this tool, only to have my Kindle not show up at all in "This PC" or "Disk Management". However, it does show up in the "Device Manager".
5. Now I don't really know how to use fastboot, but still, I tried the fastboot.exe; and it just says "<waiting for device>". I guess this is because my Kindle is not in the recovery mode.
6. I also tried using the "KindleSelectBoot" or "MfgTool.exe". All of the four ABCD sections are greyed out, and I can't do anything with it. Plus, when I go to Options>Configuration>USB Ports, the tool crashes.
7. I came across "RUNME.sh", "data.tar.gz" etc. but have no idea how to use them.

I have a hunch that the 5.9.4 update has something to do with this calamity.
Also, I think there's no problem with the Kindle battery, but just the software (maybe kernel level)

Any help would be highly appreciated! _/\_
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BATTERY INVALID Repair Needed.png
Views:	1106
Size:	319.5 KB
ID:	162328  
govindap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 06:58 AM   #2
02xda2
moddedmad
02xda2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.02xda2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.02xda2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.02xda2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.02xda2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.02xda2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.02xda2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.02xda2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.02xda2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.02xda2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.02xda2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by govindap View Post
It is .....
I would like to avoid prying my Kindle open at all costs.
Any help would be highly appreciated! _/\_
That's what you may have to do, 'prying open' and looks like 'Serial Way' is the only option open to you at this moment.

Still wait for @knc1 for the final advice, please
02xda2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 09:30 AM   #3
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Search this forum for the text:
battery invalid
and/or
error code 22

Also search for information on resetting the "repair needed" counter.

= = = =

Tell me your reasoning behind why you do not think a heavily used device, that is over three years old, one that probably has a history of being run down past the warning screen level, does not have a bad battery as the messages says?
(It is unlikely that the single incident that you report is the only time in three years that it was run down, beyond the warning level.)
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 10:03 AM   #4
govindap

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Search this forum for the text:
battery invalid
and/or
error code 22

Also search for information on resetting the "repair needed" counter.
I did try as many of the things mentioned in the other threads, but I will do it once again and respond here.

Quote:
Tell me your reasoning behind why you do not think a heavily used device, that is over three years old, one that probably has a history of being run down past the warning screen level, does not have a bad battery as the messages says?
(It is unlikely that the single incident that you report is the only time in three years that it was run down, beyond the warning level.)
It was working fine just until last week. No serious battery issues, no charging problems. Nil. Me = perfectly happy
Can a single critical battery depletion render the device unusable? If I had known so, I would have paid extra caution while using the device.

Also, I'm pretty paranoid about my lithium batteries () and try not to have them drop below 30% in any case.
I am pretty sure my Kindle has not been run down to critical battery levels on more than three occasions (maybe its the availability bias, but I did take care of the battery).
Old 02-16-2018, 10:30 AM   #5
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That all sounds good.

But it does not rule out simple battery failure (or other hardware failure).

Let us know if you find anything that will reset the "repair needed" counter.
I.E: Just because they are not posted for the KV only means nobody has tried them on a KV.
Old 02-16-2018, 07:41 PM   #6
govindap

UPDATE:

The Kindle has stopped responding to the long-pressing of the power button.
It has stopped showing up in the device manager too.

Honestly, I'm at a complete loss on how to proceed.

PS: I will keep it plugged in, hoping the battery will come back to life.
Old 02-18-2018, 01:40 AM   #7
govindap

Bought new Kindle and other updates

New Kindle
So I just couldn't resist the wait and bought a new Kindle Paperwhite.

To my surprise, when I connected that Kindle, instead of showing up as a USB storage device, it was showing up as a COM6 serial device.
I thought this must be because I played around with my previous Kindle's drivers.

Then while searching for a solution, I came across this post:Forcing device drivers

I followed that, but instead of
Quote:
Here, select Disk drives, then (Standard disk drives under the Manufacturer heading, and Disk drive under the Disk drive.
I chose:
Compatible USB Storage Device under the Manufacturer heading, and USB Mass Storage Device under the Model heading.

That got it working perfectly!

The Bricked Kindle Voyage
Now here's the thing, when I connect the Kindle Voyage now, it briefly (for 1-2 seconds) shows up as USB Charger (What!?)

Here are the logs from the Zadig Tool pertaining to the Kindle:
Code:
libwdi:debug [wdi_create_list] Hardware ID: USB\VID_1949&PID_DEAD&REV_0200
libwdi:debug [wdi_create_list] Compatible ID: USB\Class_03&SubClass_00&Prot_00
libwdi:debug [wdi_create_list] Driver version: 10.0.16299.248
libwdi:debug [wdi_create_list] HidUsb USB device (0): USB\VID_1949&PID_DEAD\5&2CE07CA9&0&1
libwdi:debug [wdi_create_list] Device description: 'USB Charger'
libwdi:debug [wdi_create_list] Hardware ID: USB\VID_03EB&PID_880C&REV_1132&MI_00
I also managed to take a screenshot (See attachment).

Do these developments bid well for my KV?
I implore the wizards to lend me their expertise in salvaging my beloved Kindle.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Zadig Tool Screenshot.png
Views:	547
Size:	15.1 KB
ID:	162371  

Last edited by govindap; 02-18-2018 at 01:44 AM.
Old 02-18-2018, 09:17 AM   #8
knc1
Going Viral

The USB id has two fields, manufacture ID and device ID.
What does the device ID box show?
(Hint, it is not a coincidence that the hex field spells an English word.)

You will have to wait for an experienced Windows user to understand the state of your system at this point after diddling the drivers used.
(I stopped using Windows @Win95) *

You should put the KV away while waiting.
Don't do anything to it while waiting for knowledgeable help.
(The restart counter only allows two attempts at restarting it.
Use them up before someone can help and you will be back to the "repair needed" screen.)

(*) I remember one post on Windows10 -
If you are using Windows10, you need to update it to the "Millennium Edition" or newer.
MS fixed their driver problem with ME.

Last edited by knc1; 02-18-2018 at 09:23 AM.
Old 02-20-2018, 08:26 AM   #9
govindap

Quote:
The USB id has two fields, manufacture ID and device ID.
What does the device ID box show?
(Hint, it is not a coincidence that the hex field spells an English word.)
I'm not sure how to check the device ID.
I used the USBDeview software by Nirsoft to get the INF file. (See the attached "oem26.inf.txt" file.)
It had DeviceID as "VID_1949&PID_0004"

Quote:
You will have to wait for an experienced Windows user to understand the state of your system at this point after diddling the drivers used.
(I stopped using Windows @Win95) *

You should put the KV away while waiting.
Don't do anything to it while waiting for knowledgeable help.
(The restart counter only allows two attempts at restarting it.
Use them up before someone can help and you will be back to the "repair needed" screen.)
Okay, I won't. Thanks for the heads up.

Quote:
(*) I remember one post on Windows10 -
If you are using Windows10, you need to update it to the "Millennium Edition" or newer.
MS fixed their driver problem with ME.
I'm sorry, I'm not aware of any "Millennium Edition" of Windows 10. However, I have the latest updated version as you can see in the attached screenshot.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Win10.PNG
Views:	265
Size:	4.3 KB
ID:	162413  
Attached Files
File Type: txt oem26.inf.txt (4.5 KB, 270 views)
Old 02-20-2018, 08:46 AM   #10
knc1
Going Viral

Look at the attachment you made to post #7 above.
Doesn't it say: USB ID: 1949 DEAD

This version has been mentioned as containing the corrected USB networking driver:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...0-version-1709
When the Kindle is working properly, you don't have to diddle drivers in Windows.

But I do not know of a Windows version that handles vendor:device == 1949:DEAD (which is a hexadecimal number).

There are a number of places you can look that information up, such as:
http://www.the-sz.com/products/usbid...1949&p=DEAD&n=
Where you can see what device that device code refers to.

Last edited by knc1; 02-20-2018 at 09:12 AM.
Old 02-20-2018, 08:46 AM   #11
02xda2
moddedmad
02xda2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.02xda2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.02xda2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.02xda2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.02xda2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.02xda2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.02xda2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.02xda2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.02xda2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.02xda2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.02xda2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
There was 'Millennium Edition' earlier, after Windows 2000 and before Windows XP. Anyway the one what you have will do fine.

Last edited by 02xda2; 02-20-2018 at 11:37 AM. Reason: ver correction
02xda2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 09:17 AM   #12
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02xda2 View Post
There was 'Millennium Edition' earlier, after Win95 and before Windows Vista. Anyway the one what you have will do fine.
1709 was the first version with corrected drivers.
See post above yours and the post above that, where the O.P. identifies which version s/he is making driver changes in.

Translation:
With unexpected response by v-1709 to a Kindle does not indicate a Win10 driver problem, it indicates a Kindle problem.
Screwing with the drivers probably only complicated the matter.
Old 02-21-2018, 08:19 AM   #13
govindap

Quote:
Look at the attachment you made to post #7 above.
Doesn't it say: USB ID: 1949 DEAD

This version has been mentioned as containing the corrected USB networking driver:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...0-version-1709
When the Kindle is working properly, you don't have to diddle drivers in Windows.

But I do not know of a Windows version that handles vendor:device == 1949EAD (which is a hexadecimal number).

There are a number of places you can look that information up, such as:
http://www.the-sz.com/products/usbid...1949&p=DEAD&n=
Where you can see what device that device code refers to.
I'm sorry I didn't realize that it was a rhetorical question. I thought you wanted to know what the device ID was before it all went south. 😅
The DEAD code doesn't belong to anything, as expected. However, the ID 0004 belongs to "Amazon Kindle 3/4/Paperwhite".

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02xda2 View Post
There was 'Millennium Edition' earlier, after Windows 2000 and before Windows XP. Anyway the one what you have will do fine.
Thank you for your input!

Quote:
1709 was the first version with corrected drivers.
See post above yours and the post above that, where the O.P. identifies which version s/he is making driver changes in.

Translation:
With unexpected response by v-1709 to a Kindle does not indicate a Win10 driver problem, it indicates a Kindle problem.
Screwing with the drivers probably only complicated the matter.
I realize, in hindsight, that it was irresponsible of me to diddle the drivers without taking a backup of it first.
Actually, I was following this post, hoping to get fastboot running so that I can try factory resetting my device.

Any tips as to what I should do now?
Old 02-21-2018, 01:12 PM   #14
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by govindap View Post
- - - -
Actually, I was following this post, hoping to get fastboot running so that I can try factory resetting my device.

Any tips as to what I should do now?
That post is six years old, which is pretty old for a device that has only existed for ten years.
Translation: A lot has changed since then.

This is the KV that is displaying the "Repair Needed" screen?

Hmm... I don't know if it is possible to get the device into fastboot mode without a serial port connection.
Did you find any other hints when searching for "Repair Needed" ?

Ah...
Something people sometimes miss -
When logged in here -
Upper right corner of the page -
A text entry box and a "search" button -
Leave the box empty and click the button.
The will bring up the "Advanced Search" tool.