Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-05-2018, 04:16 PM   #61
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I don't think it's fair to compare Amazon's Marketplace to Walmart, unless you are comparing third party sellers on Walmart's website.
Here's "Amazon's A-to-z Guarantee."

We want you to buy with confidence anytime you make a purchase on the Amazon.com website or use Amazon Pay; that's why we guarantee purchases from third-party sellers when payment is made via the Amazon.com website or when you use Amazon Pay for qualified purchases on third-party websites. The condition of the item you buy and its timely delivery are guaranteed under the Amazon A-to-z Guarantee.

(Emphasis mine.)

Either this guarantee means something to them or it doesn't. If it doesn't then they're liars. My niece's experience seems to indicate they're liars.

Quote:
Yeah, that's valid. Like I said, I'm not am Amazon fan myself. I think making different cities dance to maybe score an Amazon headquarters is tacky and gross. They aren't angels.
My other point is valid also. If you GUARANTEE third party sellers, you either really guarantee them, or you don't. So whether Amazon reneges on "guaranteed" two day delivery or reneges on their "A-to-z Guarantee" for third part sellers, they're still breaking their word.

On eBay you actually have some protections. On Amazon you, apparently, have empty promises.

Quote:
I still like them better than Walmart, who in my neighborhood alone moved from one location to another directly across the street and ripped down a bunch of trees to do it, while leaving their old store an abandoned shell. It's not just in my neighborhood that that's happened, either.
I'm not really going to defend Walmart. Just, right now, I like them better than Amazon. It's kind of like defending Barnes & Noble because they're losing business to Amazon after they (B&N) ran all the independents and smaller chains out of business. Lesser of two evils kind of thing.

Quote:
I'm happy to see them attempting to change their reputation and hopefully it continues. I just think of them as synonymous with blight. A very wealthy family vacuuming cash out of poor areas while paying bad wages and running others out of business until they are the only game in town. They have a way to go to repair that reputation.
I'm not thrilled with corporate America either. Whether its Walmart, Amazon, Google, Facebook ...

Last edited by rcentros; 04-05-2018 at 04:20 PM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 05:35 PM   #62
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I recently had a delivery from Amazon. I got a text message that the package was left by the trash bins because nobody was home. I was home. The dammed driver was too lazy to bother to go to the front door. It was an Amazon Logistics driver.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2018, 07:27 PM   #63
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I recently had a delivery from Amazon. I got a text message that the package was left by the trash bins because nobody was home. I was home. The dammed driver was too lazy to bother to go to the front door. It was an Amazon Logistics driver.
Either lazy or too much to realistically get done. I think Amazon thinks they have the "golden touch" and thought they could set up a delivery service over night. It's been a mess. Ever since they parted company with FedEx their delivery service has suffered.
Old 04-05-2018, 08:42 PM   #64
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Either lazy or too much to realistically get done. I think Amazon thinks they have the "golden touch" and thought they could set up a delivery service over night. It's been a mess. Ever since they parted company with FedEx their delivery service has suffered.
Hmmm... is that why their deliveries have started taking longer and longer? I just assumed they were deliberately "slow-walking" my orders to encourage me to pay for their stupidly overpriced Amazon Prime service with its "free" 2-day shipping (which isn't really free since you're paying nearly $150 a year for the privilege).

Last edited by the.Mtn.Man; 04-06-2018 at 08:13 AM.
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 08:57 PM   #65
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by the.Mtn.Man View Post
I just assumed they were deliberately "slow-walking" my orders to encourage me pay for their stupidly overpriced Amazon Prime service with its "free" 2-day shipping (which isn't really free since you're paying nearly $150 a year for the privilege).
That was my assumption, too. If an item is in stock, I expect it to ship within a day or two, especially if I am not ordering any other items along with it.

However, I was sometimes finding that my orders were not shipping until almost a week after I had placed them even though the items continued to be listed as "In Stock".

So, I canceled a few orders when they didn't ship out in a reasonable amount of time after having placed the order... Then, miraculously, or perhaps coincidentally, my orders started arriving in a more timely fashion. Received an item via free shipping just yesterday even though I had only placed the order on Monday evening and even though the estimated delivery date was not until next week.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2018, 10:25 PM   #66
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Hmmm... is that why their deliveries have started taking longer and longer? I just assumed they were deliberately "slow-walking" my orders to encourage me pay for their stupidly overpriced Amazon Prime service with its "free" 2-day shipping (which isn't really free since you're paying nearly $150 a year for the privilege).
I do pay for the "stupidly overpriced Amazon Prime" and, originally, Amazon's guarantee of two day delivery was pretty much a guarantee. Now the promise is good about 75% to 80% of the time, but sometimes it slips by four or five days – I had one "guaranteed 2 Day delivery" that didn't ship for about ten days. I don't think the "roll your own" delivery service, in conjunction with UPS and the Postal Service (or sometimes a combination of both) is working out that well. There are times now when I buy stuff on eBay when, in the past, I would have bought them from Amazon.
Old 04-06-2018, 08:15 AM   #67
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Question Mark View Post
That was my assumption, too. If an item is in stock, I expect it to ship within a day or two, especially if I am not ordering any other items along with it.

However, I was sometimes finding that my orders were not shipping until almost a week after I had placed them even though the items continued to be listed as "In Stock".

So, I canceled a few orders when they didn't ship out in a reasonable amount of time after having placed the order... Then, miraculously, or perhaps coincidentally, my orders started arriving in a more timely fashion. Received an item via free shipping just yesterday even though I had only placed the order on Monday evening and even though the estimated delivery date was not until next week.
My favorite is when tracking shows that my package is sitting at the local delivery facility, but they will refuse to deliver it until a day or two later because I didn't pay the expedited shipping fee.
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 08:28 AM   #68
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Just speculating because I'm looking for distraction...

At first I downloaded the PDF from the FCC and wondered if there was any chance that the label on the A4 PDF page was fitted at 100% - which would make it a 7.8" screen.

However, when I printed out the page I realised that the header (buttons and "Settings") is too large when compared to the same display on my Aura One. So then I tried resizing the page display until I got the header into proportions that seemed reasonably similar to the display on my Aura One, and that came up with a 6" screen.

So if anyone's making book, I'll put my money on 6", 300 dpi.

(I was going to keep this guess to myself - but where's the fun in that? )
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 09:41 PM   #69
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
My favorite is when tracking shows that my package is sitting at the local delivery facility, but they will refuse to deliver it until a day or two later because I didn't pay the expedited shipping fee.
Fortunately, I haven't experienced that trick yet.

However, I often find it amusing when sellers from Amazon's Marketplace update the order to "Shipped" shortly after the order has been placed and when the item can't possibly have been shipped from the place where it has been claimed to be shipping from due to the time of day.

And then there is the trick where they say it will be shipping from a given location, say the state or province which you happen to reside in, which enables you to estimate about how long it should take to reach you. But then it takes a week or two longer because it has shipped from overseas.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 10:11 PM   #70
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Fortunately, I haven't experienced that trick yet.

However, I often find it amusing when sellers from Amazon's Marketplace update the order to "Shipped" shortly after the order has been placed and when the item can't possibly have been shipped from the place where it has been claimed to be shipping from due to the time of day.
Yep. They buy the postage online and are given a tracking number that they pass on. But often the package sits in their house (or business) for days before they take it to the Post Office (or FedEx, or wherever they're sending it through). The Post Office now reports that they are waiting for the package to arrive – I think they were getting blamed for slow shipping when it wasn't their fault.

Quote:
And then there is the trick where they say it will be shipping from a given location, say the state or province which you happen to reside in, which enables you to estimate about how long it should take to reach you. But then it takes a week or two longer because it has shipped from overseas.
I've had that happen to me also on Amazon Marketplace. Expected arrival date was about five days, and took nearly a month from China. (In that case it wasn't advertised as Prime, but still it's dishonest.) I'm much more careful when I order from a seller on Amazon's Marketplace now. After what happened to my niece I'm going to be even more leery.
Old 04-07-2018, 04:10 AM   #71
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
It seems to me that some of what is being discussed here with regard to delivery would be better ascribed to Hanlon's Razor. It can be a mistake to think that our own small involvement in these situations is even noticed in the larger scheme of people just trying to get through their day with the minimum effort and hassle.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 02:23 PM   #72
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
It seems to me that some of what is being discussed here with regard to delivery would be better ascribed to Hanlon's Razor. It can be a mistake to think that our own small involvement in these situations is even noticed in the larger scheme of people just trying to get through their day with the minimum effort and hassle.
It's not necessarily malice, it's NOT following through on your word. If you promise ("guarantee") two day shipping, produce it or quit promising it. If you promise ("guarantee") that your sellers will act honorably, then force them to do so. Either that or put up a "buyer beware" notification on the Amazon Marketplace instead of a bogus "A-to-z Guarantee." You can't promise what you don't deliver and expect that it won't – eventually – damage your business. And I think it's beginning to damage Amazon's business. It seems like a lot of times corporations get complacent once they've gotten too big. I think Amazon is at that stage.
Old 04-07-2018, 03:05 PM   #73
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
This thread seems to have drifted completely off-topic!

I keep opening it in the hope someone has posted an update about a new Kobo model. Instead all I see is complaints about Amazon's USA delivery service.

Is is too much to ask that you discuss Amazon issues in the Amazon forum?
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 03:36 PM   #74
Lusephur
Connoisseur
Lusephur can read faster than his screen refreshesLusephur can read faster than his screen refreshesLusephur can read faster than his screen refreshesLusephur can read faster than his screen refreshesLusephur can read faster than his screen refreshesLusephur can read faster than his screen refreshesLusephur can read faster than his screen refreshesLusephur can read faster than his screen refreshesLusephur can read faster than his screen refreshesLusephur can read faster than his screen refreshesLusephur can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
This thread seems to have drifted completely off-topic!

I keep opening it in the hope someone has posted an update about a new Kobo model. Instead all I see is complaints about Amazon's USA delivery service.

Is is too much to ask that you discuss Amazon issues in the Amazon forum?
Agreed.
Lusephur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 03:46 PM   #75
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Hmmm... is that why their deliveries have started taking longer and longer? I just assumed they were deliberately "slow-walking" my orders to encourage me to pay for their stupidly overpriced Amazon Prime service with its "free" 2-day shipping (which isn't really free since you're paying nearly $150 a year for the privilege).
I've noticed that a lot of the time, Amazon Logistics delivers late. They can deliver up to 8pm and I feel that any delivery after 6pm is late.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote