Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 08-10-2018, 01:48 PM   #2866
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite(10th)
New Test Version Posted

Test version with code changes for python3 CLI users. I've also left the previous test version posted just in case.

This time it's really a test version--only use it if you're backed up and prepared to live with possible mistakes. Please report any issues you see. UPDATE: With mobi output now fixed, it's looking pretty promising. I've not had problems (yet) using it for my every day reading.

2018-08-10
- Fix mobi output -- Fix an encoding issue, Kindle Goto-TOC works, TOC links are more accurate

2018-08-08
- Accept both [royalroad.com] and pre-existing [royalroadl.com] sections.
- Change [royalroadl.com] to [www.royalroad.com]
- Update included_dependencies
- Many, many changes to make code run on both python 2.7 and python 3.
JimmXinu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 04:39 PM   #2867
ij26
ij26 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks for continuing to work on it.

I currently can't download password-protected Fimfiction stories. I have my username, my password and "fail_on_password: false" under [www.fimfiction.net] in personal.ini, but I still get "Story does not exist".
ij26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2018, 04:53 PM   #2868
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ij26 View Post
Thanks for continuing to work on it.

I currently can't download password-protected Fimfiction stories. I have my username, my password and "fail_on_password: false" under [www.fimfiction.net] in personal.ini, but I still get "Story does not exist".
Without knowing an example story URL that requires password (and the password to use), I can't help with this.

If you can PM me that information I can look into it some more.
Old 08-12-2018, 02:31 AM   #2869
Mara_Skywalker
Mara_Skywalker began at the beginning.

Device: laptop balabolka
Spacebattles stories

Hi,

I have the following problem:

I would like to download a story and all others by the same author. Can the program do that and if yes what do I need to do? I do not know how to program anything, so it needs to be simple.

Do I need any other plugins to download it? Some stories do have links by a reader in the not first post like this https://forums.spacebattles.com/thre...ger-si.238813/

And then he also has stories, that do not have such a help and I think some stories with thread marks?

Can you help me, which steps I have to go through, to have all his stories in 1 epub files each, that I can put in balabolka and have it read to me there?

Balabolka can read the stories to me in English, which is much easier than staring at a screen too long. I have eye problems and am handicapped in my hand, so typing or using a mouse is painful for me.

So I would really appreciate being able to have all fanfics read to me that way.

I am on quite a few sites that have forums, fanfiction.net, and a lot of other sites that are on the list of that program, but some are not included.

Thank you!
Mara_Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 10:41 AM   #2870
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

@Mara_Skywalker -

For many supported sites, the ability to download all of an author's stories already exists. The sites list all of an author's stories on one page and that page can be used with FFF's "Get Story URLs from Web Page" feature.

For most dedicated fanfic sites, that page is easy to find. Some sites split the author's stories list into pages and you have to get each page separately.

For other sites, significantly the forum sites, SB, SV, etc, it's not that easy because they are not dedicated fanfic sites. Instead of an "Author's Stories" page, there's a "User's Threads" page that contains all threads started by the user, both story and normal discussion. And that page is generated by a POST search that can't be used with "Get Story URLs from Web Page".

You may request additional sites to be added to FFF. But there's already several that have been requested and are waiting for developers to be interested enough to add.

(Part of that lack of interested, IMO, is that the requested sites lately aren't fanfic sites, but translated novels from other languages.)
Advert
Old 08-13-2018, 09:09 AM   #2871
edeniz
Zealot
edeniz began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader, Tolino Shine, Samsung Galaxy S3
I've got a question about anthologies. You know how with the stories fanficfare downloads, the summary/description is in calibre in the comments section of the basic metadata? Is it possible to do the same with anthology epubs? I mean, the only way I found to include the individual story summaries in an anthology is by creating a new custom column and linking the description field to it, but even when I do that I somehow mess up because there is no line break or horizontal line or any sort of separating/differentiating thing between the summaries of the individual stories, not even the story titles, so it's basically a jumbled mess.

With my track record, pretty sure there is an elegant and obvious way to add story summaries into an anthology's description field, but I'm too blind to see it. Is that so?

Thank you in advance for any and all help
edeniz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 10:46 AM   #2872
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by edeniz View Post
I've got a question about anthologies. You know how with the stories fanficfare downloads, the summary/description is in calibre in the comments section of the basic metadata? Is it possible to do the same with anthology epubs?
There is:

In FFF config, on the Standard Columns tab, there's an option near the bottom for "Include Books' Comments in Anthology Comments?".
Old 08-13-2018, 03:11 PM   #2873
edeniz
Zealot
edeniz began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader, Tolino Shine, Samsung Galaxy S3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmXinu View Post
There is:

In FFF config, on the Standard Columns tab, there's an option near the bottom for "Include Books' Comments in Anthology Comments?".
See, I knew it was an obvious solution I was blind to. *sigh*

Thank you very kindly!
edeniz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 08:52 PM   #2874
duplaja
duplaja began at the beginning.

Device: none
Python CLI Output

Hello! I just recently discovered the pip install of Fanficfare, after having used the Calibre plugin many years ago. I was wondering, is there a way to have it show the current title or url being downloaded when pointing it at a file?

Thank you so much for your awesome contribution.
duplaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 09:44 PM   #2875
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

@duplaja -

You can use the -d / --debug option to get additional output that includes that, but nothing for those items in particular.
Old 08-20-2018, 02:23 PM   #2876
rishidiams
rishidiams began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
custom_columns_settings

Hey there, Jimm.

I'm back from a long hiatus and still trying to work my way through my personal.ini. One of the biggest issues I'm having is that I still can't get the hang of custom_columns_settings, and I have a sneaking suspicion that it's the root of a lot of my problems.

excerpt from my personal.ini:

[archiveofourown.org]
include_subject_tags:,characters,status,fandoms,fr eeformtags,ships,dateupdated
add_to_extra_valid_entries:,mycharacters,rawcharac ters,mytags,mystatus
include_in_rawcharacters:characters.NOREPL,ships.N OREPL
include_in_mycharacters:characters,ships
include_in_mytags:warnings,freeformtags
custom_columns_settings:
mycharacters=>#chars
mytags=>#description
dateupdated=>#updated

My settings in Calibre/FanFicFare are as follows:
Under Customize FanficFare on the personal.ini tab "Calibre Columns/Pass Calibre Columns into FanFicFare on Update/Overwrite" is checked.
On the Custom Columns tab all of the dropdown boxes are empty. "New Only" is not checked. "Allow custom_columns_settings from personal.ini to override" is checked.

HOWEVER, when I have it set up like this, the #chars field does not populate when I update metadata from the site.

It happens with any fic, but here's one example: https://archiveofourown.org/works/1082103
rishidiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 02:32 PM   #2877
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

New Test Version Posted

2018-08-20
- Fix fanfiction.net metadata parsing -- genre was ending up in language after BS change.
Old 08-20-2018, 02:42 PM   #2878
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishidiams View Post
HOWEVER, when I have it set up like this, the #chars field does not populate when I update metadata from the site.

It happens with any fic, but here's one example: https://archiveofourown.org/works/1082103
I copied your posted ini lines, fixed them up, and put them in a library with a #chars column. FYI, use [code] tags in future to preserve formatting, like this:
Code:
[archiveofourown.org] 
include_subject_tags:,characters,status,fandoms,freeformtags,ships,dateupdated
add_to_extra_valid_entries:,mycharacters,rawcharacters,mytags,mystatus 

include_in_rawcharacters:characters.NOREPL,ships.NOREPL
include_in_mycharacters:characters,ships
include_in_mytags:warnings,freeformtags

custom_columns_settings: 
 mycharacters=>#chars 
 mytags=>#description 
 dateupdated=>#updated
I see #chars populated as I would expect from the story URL and ini lines given: Rose Tyler | Bad Wolf, Tenth Doctor, Tenth Doctor/Rose Tyler, The Moment (Doctor Who)
Old 08-20-2018, 09:10 PM   #2879
meghane_e
Connoisseur
meghane_e began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
using FFF to process downloaded story files

Hello, is it possible to use FFF to process downloaded HTML story files on my local machine? Would it be a 'Download URLs' or 'Get story URLs from Webpage' where "webpage" might be an html TOC in the directory? I've tried both. When I use the 'Download URLs' option, it takes them with no errors but doesn't do anything with it.

file format like this---
file:///D:/Scripts/Python/test%20dirs/Dark%20Earth%201%20-%20Chapter%201.html

These are downloaded unprocessed files (using Firefox>File>Save), which means login request info is still on it, along with wrappers, comments, etc. If I use BeautifulSoup to strip out the chapter name (<article>.<h3>) and story content (<article>.<p>) in each file and stuff those in a simple HTML page, could it be used to then build a book?

Thank you for help, pointers, etc!
meghane_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 09:43 PM   #2880
meghane_e
Connoisseur
meghane_e began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
re: using FFF to process downloaded story files

Quote:
Originally Posted by meghane_e View Post
These are downloaded unprocessed files (using Firefox>File>Save), which means login request info is still on it, along with wrappers, comments, etc. If I use BeautifulSoup to strip out the chapter name (<article>.<h3>) and story content (<article>.<p>) in each file and stuff those in a simple HTML page, could it be used to then build a book?
I guess my question might boil down to, do I need to write an adapter for my local files from each site? There are dozens of chapters, each in a separate file, per book, which is why I ask if an adapter is what I would want.

Also, the file name format in my first post is slightly off
file:///D:/Scripts/Python/test%20dirs/Dark%20Earth%201%20-%20Dark%20Champion/Dark%20Champion%20Chapter%201.html
so ...
file:///D:/scripts/python/test%20dirs/<series - book name>/<book name>%20Chapter%20<#>
Thanks!
meghane_e is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fanfiction