Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-27-2011, 10:40 PM   #1
Nakaleen
Enthusiast
Nakaleen has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo Touch / Kindle DX (damaged screen)
Question Series/Collections sorting

I am getting a Kobo Touch next week (now that my local JB Hifi stock them). I am currently using a Kindle3 (which my nephew will now get for xmas hehehee)

The one thing I am wondering, I have a lot of books that are in series, from normal books to manga. I have read that the Kobo can't have collections like the Kindle can, so I am wondering what is the best way to name/sort/organize my collection. Since I am going to put a big(ish) SD card in (8-16gb) I need to move around my collection with ease.

I have attached a screenshot of my Caliber to show you how I have laid out some of my collection
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	books.jpg
Views:	854
Size:	324.3 KB
ID:	78255  
Nakaleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 11:57 PM   #2
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
You could add a number or something to the title with Calibre.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2011, 12:44 AM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Take a look at the use of the MetaData plugboards in Calire.

Mine is set to
Code:
format:ePub
Device:Kobo
Source Template: {series:re(([^\s])[^\s]+(\s|$),\1)}{series_index:0>2s| - | - }{title}
Destination Field: title
This results in books with no series going unchanged

Books IN a series have "A Shortened Name Of The Series" - "Series Index" - added to the title so that
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
becomes
THGttG - 01 - The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 02:38 PM   #4
Nakaleen
Enthusiast
Nakaleen has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo Touch / Kindle DX (damaged screen)
Thank you.

Just got my Kobo and tried this and it Works well. Pity I can't do it with cbz as 50% of my series of books are comics, but if I convert them to epubs then it works.

eg My Full Metal Panic series is now FMP - (chapter no.) - (title) and my Full Metal Panic Sigma series is under FMPS - (chapter no.) - (title)

I would of never of work that out on my own. Again Thanks.
Nakaleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 03:04 PM   #5
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nakaleen View Post
Pity I can't do it with cbz as 50% of my series of books are comics, but if I convert them to epubs then it works.
Or you could just rename the .cbz. Since .cbz files contain no metadata, the filename's all the Kobo has for sorting purposes.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2011, 06:52 PM   #6
IxiaAurea
Connoisseur
IxiaAurea could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.IxiaAurea could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.IxiaAurea could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.IxiaAurea could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.IxiaAurea could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.IxiaAurea could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.IxiaAurea could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.IxiaAurea could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.IxiaAurea could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.IxiaAurea could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.IxiaAurea could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Take a look at the use of the MetaData plugboards in Calire.

Mine is set to
Code:
format:ePub
Device:Kobo
Source Template: {series:re(([^\s])[^\s]+(\s|$),\1)}{series_index:0>2s| - | - }{title}
Destination Field: title
This results in books with no series going unchanged

Books IN a series have "A Shortened Name Of The Series" - "Series Index" - added to the title so that
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
becomes
THGttG - 01 - The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Ooh this has me interested in how to use the metadata plugboard. I'm looking to have titles of the book like those on goodreads.com:
Title (Series, #1)
So what happens is you change the plugboard template, then for the books in calibre, you have to change the series data for each book? Is that correct?
IxiaAurea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 07:08 PM   #7
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The plugboard is used when the book is sent to your device. So within calibre, both the device and library view still shows the book as The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, series The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, number 1.0; the Kobo though shows the book's title as THGttG - 01 - The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Look at this post for more info.
Old 11-04-2011, 07:34 PM   #8
IxiaAurea
Connoisseur
IxiaAurea could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.IxiaAurea could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.IxiaAurea could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.IxiaAurea could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.IxiaAurea could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.IxiaAurea could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.IxiaAurea could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.IxiaAurea could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.IxiaAurea could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.IxiaAurea could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.IxiaAurea could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
The plugboard is used when the book is sent to your device. So within calibre, both the device and library view still shows the book as The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, series The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, number 1.0; the Kobo though shows the book's title as THGttG - 01 - The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Look at this post for more info.
Thanks! I was able to get it to the title I wanted

Edit: But it messes up the 'no series' titles.

Last edited by IxiaAurea; 11-04-2011 at 07:41 PM.
Old 11-04-2011, 08:25 PM   #9
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

It shouldn't... Take a look at Advanced formatting in http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/template_lang.html . Pay attention to
Quote:
For example, assume you want to use the template:
Code:
{series} - {series_index} - {title}
If the book has no series, the answer will be - - title. Many people would rather the result be simply title, without the hyphens. To do this, use the extended syntax {field:|prefix_text|suffix_text}. When you use this syntax, if field has the value SERIES then the result will be prefix_textSERIESsuffix_text. If field has no value, then the result will be the empty string (nothing); the prefix and suffix are ignored. The prefix and suffix can contain blanks.

Using this syntax, we can solve the above series problem with the template:
Code:
{series}{series_index:| - | - }{title}
The hyphens will be included only if the book has a series index, which it will have only if it has a series.

Notes: you must include the : character if you want to use a prefix or a suffix. You must either use no | characters or both of them; using one, as in {field:| - }, is not allowed. It is OK not to provide any text for one side or the other, such as in {series:|| - }. Using {title:||} is the same as using {title}.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:01 PM   #10
IxiaAurea
Connoisseur

I figured it out! Awesome stuff. Thanks !

{title} {series:|(|}{series_index:0>1s|, #|)} If anyone's interested in using it.
Old 08-12-2018, 10:21 AM   #11
Michal Jancik
Sorry for my English
Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KOBO H2O,Inkpad 4,ONYX Leaf 2
is also:
{title:titlecase()} | {series:ifempty({authors})}

"Name of the title | Series" or "Name of the title | Author " when "series" is empty
Michal Jancik is offline   Reply With Quote