Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-02-2010, 11:01 PM   #1
patootie
patootie can self-interpret dreams as they happen.patootie can self-interpret dreams as they happen.patootie can self-interpret dreams as they happen.patootie can self-interpret dreams as they happen.patootie can self-interpret dreams as they happen.patootie can self-interpret dreams as they happen.patootie can self-interpret dreams as they happen.patootie can self-interpret dreams as they happen.patootie can self-interpret dreams as they happen.patootie can self-interpret dreams as they happen.patootie can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: sony pocket reader
Aargh. First day with new Sony PRS-300 and I'm frustrated!

First off, I'm on a mac running OS 10.5

My library has e-book support through ADE. I borrowed the books, loaded them into ADE. Authorized the computer.

When I plug in the PRS-300, ADE doesn't ask to activate the reader. So, I opened Sony's reader software, imported the pdfs from my Digital Editions Folder, synced with the reader software and thought I was good to go.

When I try to open the book on my PRS-300, I get a Protected Page warning and that ominous circle-with-a-slash symbol.

How do I get ADE to recognize my reader? There isn't a firmware update that I can see.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Rebecca
patootie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 11:09 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Are all the library books PDF's or are some ePubs? The Sony's have a bug where only one or the other can be on it at a given time.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68463
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 11:10 PM   #3
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
Hmm.. I'm definitely no expert, but some questions:

When you download from your library, are you clicking "open?" If you click save, it's much more difficult and it doesn't usually work for me. You should be hitting "open," then it will actually open right into your reader software (or else ADE, but the newer version of reader software now takes my library books instead of ADE). Then you need to drag and drop the books into the reader. (your reader is, of course, plugged in).

If you do use ADE, are you able to drag it onto your book? When you plug in your book, an icon should show up and you just drag and drop the book, and then you can organize it into folders using reader software. I suspect you are hitting "save" though...?
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 11:13 PM   #4
patootie
patootie can self-interpret dreams as they happen.patootie can self-interpret dreams as they happen.patootie can self-interpret dreams as they happen.patootie can self-interpret dreams as they happen.patootie can self-interpret dreams as they happen.patootie can self-interpret dreams as they happen.patootie can self-interpret dreams as they happen.patootie can self-interpret dreams as they happen.patootie can self-interpret dreams as they happen.patootie can self-interpret dreams as they happen.patootie can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

I only downloaded pdfs; I saw the thread about having two different versions on the device. See? I was trying to be a good little e-reader and thought I did my homework. I'm going to try the checkout thing again as GraceKrispy suggested...
Old 06-02-2010, 11:18 PM   #5
patootie

nope. didn't work. ADE just doesn't see my reader!
Old 06-02-2010, 11:22 PM   #6
sherman
Guru
sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
If ADE won't authorise your PRS-300, the Sony ebook library will. However, to do this you need to create an account with Sony and login.
When you log in to the sony store, it should ask for your Adobe ID and password if different from your sony login and password. The Sony software should then detect and authorise your PRS-300 during the login process.
sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 11:55 PM   #7
nomesque
Snooty Bestselling Author
nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650
I had a similar problem. I haven't tried this yet, but I'm hoping it's the solution:

- Start the Sony reader software.
- Plug in your reader
- Once the computer recognises the usb connection, start ADE
- IN THEORY, ADE then recognises the PRS-300.

I haven't managed to try this out, because my husband's been hogging the home computer and my work computer is running XP 64-bit
nomesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 12:44 AM   #8
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
I purchased an EPUB ebook yesterday using the Sony Reader software. The first thing the software did was search from my reader. When not found it saved the ebook on my PC's HDD and opened the book using the built in viewer.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 09:49 AM   #9
doog_smith
doog_smith doesn't litterdoog_smith doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-300
potential work-around

Hi there. I also recently purchased a Sony PRS-300 and am running a Mac. I had the same problem where ADE did not recognize the device regardless as to what I did. After doing some research on the internet---particularly these forums---it appears that ADE on Mac simply does not recognize the Sony PRS-300. (If somebody else has had a different experience, please chime in!) So, to enable the transfer and display of ADE-drm books downloaded from my local library, I first authorized the PRS-300 using a friend's Windows PC (but taking care to authorize it using my ADE account information). Then I opened up the original acsm file downloaded from the library (not the epub file in the My Digital Editions folder) using the Sony Reader Library software. Then I was able to transfer successfully the library epub to the PRS-300. I hope that helps!
doog_smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 10:46 AM   #10
patootie

Thanks doog...will have to wait until I'm home to try this. We're a dual platform house, so I should be able to try this easily enough.
Old 06-03-2010, 04:43 PM   #11
NNolan
Compulsive Gadget Geek
NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: One of each, and two in some cases
A trick I learned from Teleread for Macs - use the Sony software

You've got the Sony Reader Library software loaded on your Mac, right?
The current version actually handles the Overdrive DRM for you.

When you download the ebook from Overdrive to your Mac use the "Reader Library" location in addition to the location for "Adobe Digital". Overdrive will let you download a book in your digital cart more than once.

Hook your Sony reader up to your Mac, start the Sony Library software and set up the Sync functionality between the Sony software and the reader, then let the Sony software put the ebook on your reader.

If you finish the book early you can return it using the little green arrow next to the title in ADE. I haven't found a way to do it using the Sony software yet, though, which is why I'm downloading to both ADE and the Sony Library.

Clear as mud, right?
NNolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 04:50 PM   #12
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
Sorry, I totally missed that you were on a mac. I only have pc reader software experience.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 06:58 PM   #13
wgwood
Camping Fool
wgwood can name that song in three noteswgwood can name that song in three noteswgwood can name that song in three noteswgwood can name that song in three noteswgwood can name that song in three noteswgwood can name that song in three noteswgwood can name that song in three noteswgwood can name that song in three noteswgwood can name that song in three noteswgwood can name that song in three noteswgwood can name that song in three notes

Device: Nook STR, Nook Color w/CM 7.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by NNolan View Post
If you finish the book early you can return it using the little green arrow next to the title in ADE. I haven't found a way to do it using the Sony software yet, though, which is why I'm downloading to both ADE and the Sony Library.
If you right click on the title in the Sony Library there is an option to return the book.

Regards,
Greg
wgwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 07:59 PM   #14
NNolan
Compulsive Gadget Geek
NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: One of each, and two in some cases
Thanks Greg.
NNolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 12:28 AM   #15
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomesque View Post
- Start the Sony reader software.
- Plug in your reader
- Once the computer recognises the usb connection, start ADE
- IN THEORY, ADE then recognises the PRS-300.
This worked for me, I set up the two 300s I got from woot for my kids. Of course it would have been quicker if I didn't already have a few hundred books on their 300s.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote