Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Other formats > LRF

Notices

Old 06-24-2009, 04:21 AM   #16
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Not me its easy to convert LIT/MOB/ePUB to any format without losing the original layout. But even if LRX is sold without DRM there is no easy way to shift the content. Just as bad as buying a PDF file without the portability of a PDF file.

For that reason I will always pefere LIT/MOBI/ePUB. The only way I will be a sony customer is if they start selling ePUB
=X=
I was assuming non DRM LRX is really LRF like AZW is really Mobi. So if someone is able to crack the DRM, I thought I would get an LRF file.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 11:06 AM   #17
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
I'm assuming that if the DRM is cracked, someone will also offer a format-shifting program as well. Given that Calibre reads the .lrf file format well enough to display it, I'd think it wouldn't be a *big* stretch to deconstruct it
I think it's harder than you think. There are already format shifting programs that exist. Calibre has some and then there is also LRFTools. But these don't do a very good job shifting the format.

I don't know maybe your right, it's been a while since I looked at lrf2lrs so maybe taking lrs to html is not so difficult.

I guess the real point I'm questioning is there is already a demand for LRF to html/MOBI/ePUB, there are many LRF exclusive formats here on MobileRead. Yet there are no good tools to shift the format. LRFTools does a decent job but it loses much of the formatting in the process

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 11:10 AM   #18
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
I was assuming non DRM LRX is really LRF like AZW is really Mobi. So if someone is able to crack the DRM, I thought I would get an LRF file.
Yes Lilly you are correct, but my point was there are good tools to convert MOBI/ePUB/LIT to any format MOBI/ePUB/LIT/LRF/PDB/IMP with no more effort than it takes to run the conversion tool. And all the formatting will be maintained.

With LRF there are no good conversion tools. If you will only ever read LRF files that is okay but if you plan to read it on a MOBI device or ePUB device much of the formatting will be lost.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 01:36 PM   #19
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Yes Lilly you are correct, but my point was there are good tools to convert MOBI/ePUB/LIT to any format MOBI/ePUB/LIT/LRF/PDB/IMP with no more effort than it takes to run the conversion tool. And all the formatting will be maintained.

With LRF there are no good conversion tools. If you will only ever read LRF files that is okay but if you plan to read it on a MOBI device or ePUB device much of the formatting will be lost.

=X=

Thanks, that's good to know. Come to think of it, I've converted other sources to LRF but never vice versa.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:07 AM   #20
Lilly
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
I will be happy when that happens. I use to buy 100% of all my books from Sony before I knew better, now I buy 0%. I now only buy Lit, Mobi, and Amazon AZW. I will return to the Sony bookstore when I'm able to liberate LRX books.
Well Sony just might get me back after all. We'll know after tomorrow! I have about 200 books in LRX, so I can re-download them in ePub without buying anything new and see if they can be liberated. If so, Sony will get me back after not shopping with them since October of 2008!