Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-13-2018, 08:14 AM   #1
danielhenlou
danielhenlou began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5.9.6.1
Kindle not recognizing Ancient Greek

Hello, please, I'm trying to convert an Ancient Greek text from docx to Kindle. I took the text from Wikisource.

So, I copy it to Word, send to Kindle convert and have it in my device.

But Kindle does not recognize words, if I try to select one, it just selects a letter, so I can not check the dictionary.

Any thoughts?

I've tried unicode, tried saving as webpage.

The weird thing is that I've done it before and it worked well. I have some Ancient Greek texts within my Kindle. They work perfectly. There was something I did to make them work I don't remember what was.

Perhaps you know.
danielhenlou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 10:18 AM   #2
danielhenlou

Update:

I could convert it to mobi in Calibre, sent it to Kindle, and could read and select the words. The formatting is not good, but OK.

ANyway, before, I could send directly a word document to Kindle e-mail so they delivered the file converted to my Kindle. This is the one I'm having trouble with.
Old 08-13-2018, 07:42 PM   #3
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
It probably has to do with the ‘lang’ metadata property not being set. Calibre may be doing that for you automatically. If you are using Word, you may need to set language explicitly before sending it. If you are using some other editor, presumably it has a similar option.

https://www.techwalla.com/articles/h...-word-document
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 09:27 PM   #4
danielhenlou

No, it didn't work, I even downloaded the Greek proofreading set, but my Kindle still can't select words, just letters.
Old 08-14-2018, 12:11 AM   #5
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
How does converting to KF8 in calibre look like formatting wise? If that looks okay, you could send a mixed mobi (MOBI6/KF8) to send to kindle to have the kf8 in cloud.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 07:43 AM   #6
danielhenlou

Since I can read, I said it is OK, but the lines are cut out of place.

I know there is a way directly through Kindle, because I have documents in Ancient Greek converted by it, and their formatting is perfect.
Old 08-14-2018, 10:52 AM   #7
Ghitulescu
Fanatic
Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1
wikisource can save into epub AFAIK - how about going this path instead?
download it as epub then convert it to mobi.
I avoid Word as hell.
Ghitulescu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 09:26 PM   #8
danielhenlou

I saved in pdf. Sent to Kindle, but no, did not work.

Tags
ancient greek