Notices

Old 08-01-2011, 09:26 PM   #16
mokel22
Zealot
mokel22 began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by melitabel View Post
Thanks, Filark. I emptied the cache and rebooted, and had the browser crash again immediately. This isn't occasional - once it starts happening, it doesn't stop. I am about to give up on the Edge. It's unfortunate, because I read lots of pdfs as well as books and there is so much I could do with this - but it just isn't working.

In the link posted by ptsenter, someone suggested trying an earlier version of Kobo. Many people use Kobo, so I shouldn't have to do anything too strange to load it, so I will try the older version, if I can ever get the browser to work again. I'd download another browser if I could find a link to one that I could download. Or maybe I can find one now that I have Amazon app store. All I wanted to do was read, take handwritten notes, and do a little very low-level web surfing - that didn't seem like too high a goal with the Edge.
Try Dolphin HD that is said to fix some browser issues. I have an EE and it only has the Hibernate issue (luckily). Try experimenting with some of the other browsers available, it is really worth it to have an edge once you can get around the quirks. You should find Dolphin HD as well as other browsers in the Amazon app store.
mokel22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 05:25 AM   #17
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
Quote:
Well, it looks like the Edge is dead for the afternoon. The browser has started dumping me out so fast I can't do anything (is there a way to empty the cache?).

Ivan, I got a parse error on that link so I didn't get very far. I am about to start screaming. Ptsenter, I will read your material next. I don't know that all the books I want will be in epub or pdf.

Thank you both.
I gave up on using any browser on the EE to download anything and download everything I want on my PC.

No one has come up with a reason why the browser on the EE is so flaky and the usual advice is to try several and then use the best one - the one that works the longest.

Just tried the link and had no problems - I'm using firefox at work though.

If you have Calibre on your PC then e-book format becomes something that you don't have to worry about.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 11:27 AM   #18
melitabel
Enthusiast
melitabel began at the beginning.

Device: entourage edge
Thanks, shall look for both Dolphin and Calibre - though many of the books I want to read are DRM. I need to see what Calibre is and how it works. Perhaps now that EE has rested overnight it will be more reasonable, LOL! I've just read through the replies to "Is it still worth getting the Edge?" and I still have hope.
melitabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 06:24 AM   #19
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
Quote:
Thanks, shall look for both Dolphin and Calibre - though many of the books I want to read are DRM. I need to see what Calibre is and how it works. Perhaps now that EE has rested overnight it will be more reasonable, LOL! I've just read through the replies to "Is it still worth getting the Edge?" and I still have hope.
You know there is a forum for Calibre on this site.

As for the other issue you need to google apprentice alf's blog and do a little reading.

For you the browser issue is a PITA and I can see how it would be if that is your usage pattern. For me the biggest problem is the green cast to all still photos which makes it totally unusable.

Something that might, or might not, help - I turn off my EE when I'm not using it. I can live with the time it takes to boot up rather more than any oddity caused by hibernation.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 03:42 PM   #20
eTurtle
Banned
eTurtle began at the beginning.

Device: Dualbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byzantius View Post
Let's face it, the PE's strongest side is its E-INK side. The tablet side is nothing more than child's play considering that the PE lacks the power to make the LCD side more productive than calendaring and e-mailing.
You're kidding, I hope! I watch videos on the LCD screen, including news podcasts such as Democracy Now. And of course, I browse and read various web pages. I also take copious notes with the "Bi Notes" app, and draw/paint with several different apps.

You also need the LCD screen to read Kindle books, once converted and moved to your eDGe. Let's not forget the many different games you can play on that screen, too. There's even a comic book reader app!

And you certainly need the LCD screen in order to link web references to your E-ink books.

Good heavens! The LCD screen is every bit as productive and useful as the E-ink side. That is way obvious even to the casual eDGe user. I have no idea why you misrepresent the eDGe's tablet capabilities. Maybe you wrote your disinformation before imbibing your first cuppa joe for the day?
eTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote