Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-27-2010, 10:17 PM   #1
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
Bezos: the battle between e-readers and tablet computers is a non-issue

Quote:
In trumpeting Amazon.com’s latest sales successes Monday, the e-tailer’s CEO argued that the much-discussed battle between e-readers and tablet computers is a non-issue, because many shoppers are choosing both.
Quote:
“Customers report using their LCD tablets for games, movies, and Web browsing and their Kindles for reading sessions,” Bezos said in a press release, citing the low weight, long battery life and easy-on-the-eye displays of Amazon’s popular gadget. The current price of the Kindle–which now starts at $139, compared to $499 for the least-expensive iPad–means “people don’t have to choose.”

Forrester analyst James McQuivey says Bezos’s pronouncement isn’t such a stretch. According to the research firm’s surveys, roughly a third of iPad buyers also have or intend to buy a Kindle, he says.
I wonder how many Kindle owners plan to buy an iPad.

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2010/12/...ess+Technology)
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 10:22 PM   #2
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
I've been reading sporadically on my Nook color since I got it a few weeks ago.

It's too heavy for comfortable couch reading (I'm really surprised to be saying that, but I was totally getting wrist strain with it).

It washes out a tiny bit when sitting flat on the table which is a bit annoying (for eating-reading).

I feel a little bit more eyestrain with it.

I can see having both. That's what I'm basically doing with a Nook color and a Nook. I really prefer the e-ink to read on - I know I'm not the only person with both a tablet and an e-reader.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2010, 10:37 PM   #3
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Craig CMP738a Android Tablet
From what I've seen, I think people will be much more likely to use iPads as netbook replacements or honkin' big video players. Some people will certainly read on them, and if that's your preference, that's great. I just see it as overkill for reading, given its size and weight.

I saw an iPad in the wild a few weeks ago. There was a woman reading something on it. I asked her how she liked her iPad (Generally. I didn't mention reading.) She said she loved it, and she liked reading on it better than on her Kindle. I didn't ask her what Kindle she'd been using, but the thing she mentioned immediately was reading in bed.

I didn't get a great look at it, but my personal observation (which might have been due to viewing angle or the brightness level she had the display on) was that the screen had a bluish cast to it. My other impression was that it would take me about 30 seconds to drop that thing and make it unusable (until I got it fixed/replaced, of course). As thin as it was, it just looked unwieldy to me.

A few weeks before that, I saw a girl watching a video on the iPad. I was much more impressed with that.
bhartman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 10:50 PM   #4
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
I everyone in my office (besides me) has an iPad, but I'm the only one with a dedicated ereader. They all mention reading on the iPad, but only as a last resort. They are much more prone to talk about how great it is for kids, movies, music, and apps.

I think the iPad is a little heavy for my taste. Also, I have an iPhone - I've shattered my screen before, it can be done.
MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 11:27 PM   #5
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhartman36 View Post
From what I've seen, I think people will be much more likely to use iPads as netbook replacements or honkin' big video players.
That's how I'm using my Nook Color. It's a great tablet and perfect for vacations.

Once B&N fixes the brightness level and allows even lower settings, I should be able to use it for reading.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2010, 11:37 PM   #6
jehane
Book addict
jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300/T1/Asus TF101
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhartman36 View Post
From what I've seen, I think people will be much more likely to use iPads as netbook replacements or honkin' big video players.
That's my plan. I have been looking for a slate ever since my Palm (m125) died. Considered the netbooks but really wanted the slate form. My perfect device isn't out yet, but I've waited this long and I expect that something close will come out in the next year or two. The Archos 5 and 7 were pretty close though. I don't like the iPad, and not just because I have an aversion to Apple and other excessively proprietary products. I read enough, and have read enough on computer screens in the past that I'll happily take my e-ink reader as well as a computer on my travels, so the more compact my computer the better.
jehane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 09:11 AM   #7
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I have both and use both. The iPad is my work device and has all the books, video, media etc. that I teach with. I read my Zinio mags on it too. I read everything else on the Kindle.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 10:48 AM   #8
mldavis2
Coffee Nut
mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3; K4PC; Calibre
eInk displays are unquestionably best for text reading and are far more power-efficient than LCD displays. If I want to view photographic images or play games or surf the 'net, I'll use my real computers. I am not interested in seeing how many 'apps' and how much adaptability I force onto my Kindle, and I am totally uninterested in trying to perform productive tasks on a half-computer with inadequate screen space and a toy keyboard. Between my desktop computer (overclocked quad core with 24" and 19" monitors), and my laptop with quad core and 15" screen, my eInk display functions exactly for what it was designed. I have no holes in my technical coverage. Sorry, Jeff. The iPad does nothing for me whatsoever that I cannot perform more comfortably and efficiently with my other tools.
mldavis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 10:54 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockdaMan View Post
I wonder how many Kindle owners plan to buy an iPad?
I don't see iPad owners buying a Kindle. I do see it the other way round though. And I do see the Kindle gathering dust or someone else using it once the iPad is bought.

I bought my wife a stand for her iPad and she really likes it. So with the stand, the iPad is not too heavy. She never found it too heavy. But, if you have a nightstand next to your side of the bed, you can put the iPad and stand there and happily read in bed.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 10:57 AM   #10
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
And I do see the Kindle gathering dust or someone else using it once the iPad is bought.
And yet the anecdotes don't say that.
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 11:43 AM   #11
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Quote:
....I do see the Kindle gathering dust or someone else using it once the iPad is bought.
So did a lot of people around the time the iPad came out. It's pretty clear that, at least for the moment, eInk / epaper still holds an advantage for many people despite the lack of color, animation, apps, touch-screens and so forth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf
I bought my wife a stand for her iPad and she really likes it. So with the stand, the iPad is not too heavy. She never found it too heavy. But, if you have a nightstand next to your side of the bed, you can put the iPad and stand there and happily read in bed.
Riiiiiight

I won't necessarily say that it's "too heavy," in that I've read paper books that are that weight (or more). But compared to an eInk device, it's much less convenient for reading during a commute, in your lap, or in your hands.

And no, reading off of a nightstand whilst in bed is not going to work for most people. Or their spouses, I presume.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 11:49 AM   #12
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
Riiiiiight

I won't necessarily say that it's "too heavy," in that I've read paper books that are that weight (or more). But compared to an eInk device, it's much less convenient for reading during a commute, in your lap, or in your hands.

And no, reading off of a nightstand whilst in bed is not going to work for most people. Or their spouses, I presume.
My spouse would agree.
MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 12:14 PM   #13
petermillard
Evangelist
petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, K3 & Amazon - between them they cover my needs.
Quote:
I don't see iPad owners buying a Kindle....
<raises hand> I did, and I'm pretty sure others (HarryT for one) have here on mobileread as well. I find the iPad to be a brilliant device and absolutely my main/preferred reader, but it's not my only reader; there are times when I want to use something else for all kinds of reasons, whether environmental (reading in the garden) physical (need something a bit smaller/lighter) or financial (don't want to risk taking something as valuable as my iPad). Or maybe I just want to continue reading my book whilst the iPad is charging <shrug>

It isn't an either/or decision for me, and I'm glad of that.

Pete
petermillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 01:46 PM   #14
jessicalynn
Zealot
jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Nook First Gen (broken), iPad, Kindle Touch SO
I personally have both an ereader and an ipad. I bought the ipad for school (reading pdf's, study apps, etc) and ereader for well, reading. I did try reading on my ipad, but I just didn't like it as much as reading on my nook. I thought it was too heavy and awkward to hold and after a few hours my eyes were strained by the lcd screen.
I can definitely see many reasons to have both and ereader and a tablet and I don't think tablets are going to kill ereaders!
jessicalynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 02:09 PM   #15
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mldavis2 View Post
eInk displays are unquestionably best for text reading and are far more power-efficient than LCD displays. If I want to view photographic images or play games or surf the 'net, I'll use my real computers. I am not interested in seeing how many 'apps' and how much adaptability I force onto my Kindle, and I am totally uninterested in trying to perform productive tasks on a half-computer with inadequate screen space and a toy keyboard.
Yeah, what he said.

Am I the only one who thinks Bezos looks like an alien? He's all sterile looking like he just got beamed down from his sterile loft-ship. He even has empty looking eyes. Maybe it's just me....

Disclaimer: I LOVE Amazon!
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote