Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-06-2008, 12:25 PM   #1
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
USB wall charger *draining* my 505

I plugged a USB wall charger (for my Blackberry) into my 505 Reader to recharge it from 2 bars. The screen indicated presence of a USB connection (USB plug icon in middle and on top right, 'USB connected' at the bottom). But, this drained my battery to 1 bar, and then 'low battery' status in about an hour. I thought the 505 could be *charged* via USB, not drained!

Any explanation for this? It's a standard USB wall charger, and it charges my phone just fine.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 12:40 PM   #2
Fred4
Fred4 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
I have the same problem with a Lenmar Power pack, it is supposed to charge any usb device but it justs discharges the reader.
Fred4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2008, 02:02 PM   #3
kezza
Lowlife of the Party
kezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura about

Device: nook, iphone
Most usb chargers don't work with the 505. It is designed only to pull a charge on the USB cable if it's attached to the computer, and even then not all computer USB ports work. The going theory is that the device requires slightly higher voltage through USB than standard wall chargers provide.
To be sure that your 505 is charging, look at the LED on the top of the device, it will glow red when the device is charging, and flash amber when the memory is being accessed.
If you want to use a wall wart USB charger with your 505, buy a PSP usb charging cable, like this one:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000HCVL36

It has an AC adapter plug on one end, and a standard USB/A plug on the other. I'm charging my 505 using a Belkin iPod wall wart usb charger and the cable linked above right now.
kezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 04:21 PM   #4
Fred4

Natch says that any PSP charger will charge the PRS-505. Those of us that are new to this are confused!
Old 02-07-2008, 10:27 AM   #5
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Any PSP charger *will* charge any Reader under any conditions (including fully-drained battery.) A PSP charger is *not* a USB charger, and has no USB connector. Does that help?

I was hoping to charge my Reader using my available BB charger at my desk in the office. Clearly, that won't work. I don't know why Sony made the Reader so finicky wrt USB charging. I don't think it is a voltage issue either, as any USB power line will be 5V, and a straight wall-wort charger should have enough current.

The best item to have is the PSP charging cable (mentioned above) that has a regular USB connector on one end, and both mini-USB and PSP connectors on the other. That will work with any USB power source.
Advert
Old 02-07-2008, 03:30 PM   #6
Fred4

Thanks Doc. that clears it up for me. I am going to try that.
Old 02-07-2008, 03:38 PM   #7
DrMoze
Booknut

I'm gonna get me one of those newfangled USB-based PSP chargers too. Seems to be the best solution. Relying on the USB connector to charge a Reader is simply not smart. For example, I think the old 500 model won't charge from a computer's USB connection unless the Sony Connect/Library sw is installed. So charging from a friend's computer is out. I don't know why they 'sort of' made USB charging an option, even though it doesn't work using many usb-based charging set-ups. OTOH, the new model doesn't even include a PSP-type charger 9and nowhere does Sony mention that you can use one--instead, they want you to buy their pricier and bulkier "official" Reader charger.)
Old 02-07-2008, 04:13 PM   #8
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Doc, I saw the same behavior with both my wife's and my 505. The weird part is how SOMETIMES the same charger worked! PSP charger is the answer.

By the way, if you have a USB port you REALLY want to use I believe the PSP charger I got (Pelican's?) uses a short full-size-USB-to-PSP (female circular) adapter cable from its own power block. I haven't tried it but I think I could hook it up to any powered USB port and provide correct-polarity 5 V to the Sony reader (at whatever amperage that particular port provides).
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 10:03 AM   #9
Fred4

I got the Pelican charger last night and it works great plus I now have a car charger. Thanks for all your help. The trick seemed to be going USB port to DC port.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:09 AM   #10
DrMoze
Booknut

Yeah, the USB connector seems to be a charging option that's too "smart" for it's own good. The PSP round jack will charge anytime, no matter where the 5V power is coming from. I'll check the Pelican version. (I picked up a multigame charger from Radio Shack for $20 that charges PSP, Nintendo GBA, GBA micro, and DS. But it would be nice to have a PSP charger that connects to any USB port.)
Old 02-16-2008, 01:02 PM   #11
Fred4

Power Pack

While your at it look into the Lenmar Power Pack. It's small and once it's fully charged it will recharge the Reader at least two or three times from 2 bars. it also charges faster then the USB port.
Old 02-16-2008, 04:24 PM   #12
The Old Man
Fanatic
The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPad Pro, Fire 8", iPhone, PaperWhite 2
The expensive Sony AC charger is rated at 5.2 volts and 2000 mA. That's 2 amps.
Most USB chargers that I have seen are rated at 500mA or 1/2 amp.
Can a USB charger rated at 5 volts and 500mA be used with the Reader?
The Old Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 05:02 PM   #13
Cthulhu
Technologist
Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY Reader PRS-500
Sad to hear that the USB charging that I thought was so simple and easy really isn't. Can anyone verify the restrictions on computer-Reader charging, like needing the SONY software or registration?

Has anyone had luck with a Motorola charger? Those are mini USB as well, but possibly the amperage is too low.
Cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 01:34 PM   #14
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
No, I tried two Motorola mini-USB chargers and it was hit-and-miss, mostly miss. I don't think it is an amperage thing because my regular PC USB hub (which always works) is very low power. There is some sort of intelligence (and a charging switch) on the USB port that does not exist on the other 5 V in.

All of the PSP game chargers I saw were rated at 1.5 or 2 amps, so similar to the Sony charger.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 02:01 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Why do you need to purchase a USB charger when you an get a cheap PSP AC adapter? Also you can get a PSP charger for your car as well. I have an iGO with the PSP tip for our readers. Plus it is FASTER to charge via the AC and you can use the reader at the same time as it is charging via the AC.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote