Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-17-2011, 05:47 AM   #1
amacbeth
amacbeth began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Feed Failed

I am getting Feed Failed for all of my News. I get "Couldn't find any books matching your query" for any book search.
I am a first-time user of calibre (obviously). I do not have a proxy. My Windows Firewall is disabled. I temporarily disabled my firewall hardware (firewall is set to allow all outbound traffic, anyway). Clearly I have a connection issue, but I can't find it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
amacbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 09:40 AM   #2
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by amacbeth View Post
I am getting Feed Failed for all of my News. I get "Couldn't find any books matching your query" for any book search.
I am a first-time user of calibre (obviously). I do not have a proxy. My Windows Firewall is disabled. I temporarily disabled my firewall hardware (firewall is set to allow all outbound traffic, anyway). Clearly I have a connection issue, but I can't find it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
If you are using Windows, Calibre will use whatever proxy settings are set for Internet Explorer, so you should check those settings. Google if you don't know how.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-17-2011, 09:16 PM   #3
amacbeth

I've checked the proxy settings, no proxy. Is there any kind of logging I can look at?
Old 06-18-2011, 04:32 AM   #4
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
I've checked the proxy settings, no proxy. Is there any kind of logging I can look at?
There should be an entry for your recipe downloads in the jobs area. Look for the round spinny-looking thing on the lower right hand side. Select the relevant job and click show details.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 09:03 AM   #5
amacbeth

Manichean, thanks for pointing me at the log. It is definitely trying to go through a proxy. After I installed calibre, I noticed that a proxy was, indeed, setup in my Internet Connection. I have since removed it. It is unquestionably removed. Now, I can only suspect that calibre copies the Internet Connection info upon installation, and doesn't actually use the live Internet Connection info. I have rebooted and that didn't resolved it. Where do I go in calibre to remove that copied proxy info?
Advert
Old 06-18-2011, 09:24 AM   #6
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Manichean, thanks for pointing me at the log. It is definitely trying to go through a proxy. After I installed calibre, I noticed that a proxy was, indeed, setup in my Internet Connection. I have since removed it. It is unquestionably removed. Now, I can only suspect that calibre copies the Internet Connection info upon installation, and doesn't actually use the live Internet Connection info. I have rebooted and that didn't resolved it. Where do I go in calibre to remove that copied proxy info?
Verify again that Tools menu in Internet Explorer, Internet Options, Connections tab, and LAN Settings does not show a proxy setting (or wherever proxy is in your version of IE). Calibre uses those settings (that's how they are set for Windows). Calibre doesn't store them.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 09:59 AM   #7
amacbeth

Problem resolved. Very interesting fix. I confirmed that the Internet Options did not have a proxy listed or enabled. So I visited the registry. I searched for the proxy name, lo' & behold, I found several instances of the proxy listed with the associated proxyEnabled flag set to 1. I switched all those instances to 0, and voilà, works like a charm. Am very excited to now try this ebook tool.

Thanks to all who offered assistance.