Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 10-20-2017, 12:48 PM   #1
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
About subsets

Hi

The Calibre editor produces nicely subsets of embedded fonts. On average, one EPUB in French language is made from, say 120 to 130 different characters. We can find the total list of all these characters using the tab "characters" in the lower line of the report tool of the Editor.

I embed usually the Linux Libertine font. Each variant, regular, italic, bold has a size of about 800 k. The Calibre editor reduces them for one test book respectively to 166k, 129k and 77k. This seems understandable because there are much more regular characters used than italic and bold ones. Hence, I suppose that the Calibre editor makes use of a reduced sublist of italic and bold characters.

My question is the following: where -or how- can I display (and copy) the list of the different italic and bold characters?

Last edited by roger64; 10-20-2017 at 12:57 PM.
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 12:58 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
THere is no report for that. I suppose you can simply open the italic/bold font files in a tool like fontforge and see what glyphs are left.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2017, 01:05 PM   #3
phossler
Wizard
phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
If it's Windows, I like BabelMap from

http://www.babelstone.co.uk/Software/BabelMap.html
phossler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 02:22 AM   #4
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
Thank you for your replies.

I had thought that during the subset creation process, the Calibre editor made use of specific lists of italic and bold characters.

I'll look elsewhere.
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 04:27 AM   #5
Divingduck
Wizard
Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
An other nice (and free) tool is called Inside font: http://www.insidefont.de/en/index.html.
Divingduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert