Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 11-14-2017, 02:29 AM   #1111
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
My eighth grade English teacher recommended Heinlein's Glory Road as long as we didn't tell anyone she did it. I guess she didn't want to have any parents complaining to the school board for suggesting that we read books written for adults.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 04:37 AM   #1112
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennD View Post
Free speech doesn't apply in a high school class room, typically. I'm sorry you had a social studies teacher like that. I was fortunate, my SS teacher my senior year encouraged intelligent questions and reasoned disagreement. He saw his job as teaching students to think, not just memorize.
She did encourage thinking. You just had to think the same way she did.

One example was her belief that eating meat was bad and led to violence.

But teacher, the Inuit are among the least violent people on the planet and their diet is almost exclusively animal based. Also historical evidence is that Hitler was a vegetarian.

Bad David! Letting ugly facts destroy beautiful hypotheses.

Admittedly, I had to admire other things about her. While she was at university, she participated in civil rights and anti-Vietnam war activities and was involved to some extent with the SDS. She had met quite a few of the people that we only heard about on the news and could be convinced to talk about them.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2017, 12:50 PM   #1113
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
Michael J Sullivan's third book in the The Riyria Chronicles, The Death of Dulgath, is currently free today at Amazon. It doesn't look like the ebook is available at B&N or Kobo.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 02:13 PM   #1114
rxmom03
Addict
rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pixel 8, iPad Air, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgalbrecht View Post
Michael J Sullivan's third book in the The Riyria Chronicles, The Death of Dulgath, is currently free today at Amazon. It doesn't look like the ebook is available at B&N or Kobo.
Thank you! I love this series so much! And if you want the Audible recording, it is only $1.99.
rxmom03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 02:14 PM   #1115
brudigia
Evangelist
brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPAD AirPro M1 12.9, Kindle Scribe, Kobo Elipsa, iPhone XV
Jo Clayton - Diadem from the stars series

The third book in her series Diadem from the Stars is $1.99 at amazon.com

https://www.amazon.com/Irsud-Diadem-...rds=jo+clayton

It has not been the first book on sale, I only need the 4th and then I have the first 5.

I wonder why they do not re-print also the other 4, I bought some of the paper books long time ago, and I distinctly remember that the series consisted of 9 books, plus 3 extras.
brudigia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2017, 03:37 PM   #1116
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
Quote:
Free also at Amazon UK

The Death of Dulgath (The Riyria Chronicles Book 3)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B014WOCH0A/

And Amazon Canada

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B014WOCH0A/
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 04:49 PM   #1117
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Bloodline (Star Wars) by Claudia Gray is $1.99 at most retailers. GR 4.06. Random House/Del Rey 2016

https://smile.amazon.com/Bloodline-S...odline+claudia

Quote:
When the Rebellion defeated the Empire in Endor, Leia Organa believed it was the beginning to a lasting peace. Now a respected senator, Leia must grapple with the dangers that threaten the fledgling democracy. Desperate to take action, senators are calling for the election of a First Senator. Leia faces with distrust the prospect of anyone holding such a powerful position. But a mysterious threat is growing and may make this Leia’s only option. Deal expires 11/25/17.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 08:06 PM   #1118
Avice
Zealot
Avice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Sean Stewart - Perfect Circle $1.99

Perfect Circle by Sean Stewart is $1.99 on Kindle US. Perfect Circle was a nominee for the 2004 Nebula Award and the 2005 World Fantasy Award.

The Kindle book description is simply "A dark, funny, fast-moving novel of Texas, family, and perfect pop songs." Here's the longwer description from the publisher, Small Beer Press:
Quote:
William “Dead” Kennedy has problems.

He’s haunted by family, by dead people with unfinished business, and by those perfect pop songs that you can’t get out of your head. He’s a 32-year-old Texan still in love with his ex-wife. He just lost his job at Pet-Co for eating cat food. His air-conditioning is broken, there’s no good music on the radio, and he’s been dreaming about ghost roads.

When Will’s cousin (“My dad married your Aunt Dot’s half-sister”) calls in the middle of the night about a dead girl haunting his garage, it seems like an easy way to make a thousand dollars. But nothing is ever that simple, especially when family is involved. Will’s mother is planning a family reunion of epic proportions. Will’s ex-wife is married to a former Marine. His twelve-year-old daughter Megan thinks Will needs someone to look after him. And recently his dead relatives seem to want something from him.
Avice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 07:42 PM   #1119
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
A few bargains from Simon & Schuster's Saga Press imprint, which is DRM-free at Kobo at least, available in Canada & the US (price should be the same at all the usual retailers):

@ $1.99: The Starlit Wood: New Fairy Tales edited by Dominik Parisien & Navah Wolfe. This won the 2017 Shirley Jackson Award for Best Anthology and placed 3rd on the annual Locus Awards list, according to ISFDB. IIRC, one or two of the stories for it made it to the Hugo finalists, and contributors include Charlie Jane Anders, Garth Nix, Marjorie M. Liu, Aliette de Bodard, Naomi Novik, and more. Apparently, there are interior illustrations, as well.

@ $2.99 each: The Icarus Corps futuristic vs Earth-conquering aliens milSF novel trilogy by Zachary Brown (ISFDB) which the ISFDB notes that the publisher claims is a pseudonym for a NYTimes bestselling Nebula & World Fantasy Award finalist. In order: The Darkside War, Titan's Fall, Jupiter Rising
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 02:22 AM   #1120
maddz
Wizard
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Icarus, iPad Mini 2, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7
The Black Friday sale on Amazon.co.uk includes:

Empire Games, by Charles Stross at 99p
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Empire-Game...903150&sr=1-35

Borne, by Jeff VanderMeer at £1.99
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Borne-Jeff-...903150&sr=1-47
maddz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 05:16 AM   #1121
Kieran Seymour
Addict
Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
A 99p Daily Deal at Amazon UK.

Star Trek: Discovery - Desperate Hours - David Mack

The first novel based on the new television series.

Quote:
Aboard the Starship Shenzhou, Lieutenant Michael Burnham, a human woman raised and educated among Vulcans, is promoted to acting first officer. But if she wants to keep the job, she must prove to Captain Philippa Georgiou that she deserves to have it.

She gets her chance when the Shenzhou must protect a Federation colony that is under attack by an ancient alien vessel that has surfaced from the deepest fathoms of the planet’s dark, uncharted sea.

As the menace from this mysterious vessel grows stronger, Starfleet declares the colony expendable in the name of halting the threat. To save thousands of innocent lives, Burnham must infiltrate the alien ship. But to do so, she needs to face the truth of her troubled past, and seek the aid of a man she has tried to avoid her entire life—until now.
Kieran Seymour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 07:22 AM   #1122
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper
ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Quote:
My eighth grade English teacher recommended Heinlein's Glory Road as long as we didn't tell anyone she did it. I guess she didn't want to have any parents complaining to the school board for suggesting that we read books written for adults.
Heinlein has had various controversies, but I think teachers are generally discouraged from recommending SciFi. At least they were when I went to school.
ReadingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 10:14 AM   #1123
Acataloger
Retired library cataloger
Acataloger has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Acataloger has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Acataloger has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Acataloger has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Acataloger has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Acataloger has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Acataloger has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Acataloger has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Acataloger has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Acataloger has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Acataloger has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'

Device: PRS-T2 ; Kindle Paperwhite Manga; Fire HD 10; Huawei Honor 8
OTOH, Ray Bradbury's The pedestrian was included in one of my high school English textbooks (early 1960s). I had never heard of him at that time; it was one of the best introductions provided in that course.
Acataloger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 10:38 AM   #1124
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Greg Bear's Eon has now dropped to $1.13 on Amazon. I purchased it earlier for the outrageous price of $1.99. I feel so used!
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 11:26 AM   #1125
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Greg Bear's Eon has now dropped to $1.13 on Amazon. I purchased it earlier for the outrageous price of $1.99. I feel so used!
And now the sequel, Eternity is $1.99 at Amazon.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 11-17-2017 at 11:36 AM.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote