Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-11-2016, 08:59 PM   #1
s97thli
s97thli began at the beginning.

Device: none
First eReader - Kobo Glo HD vs. PW3 vs. Kobo Aura 2016

I'm looking to purchase my first eReader.

What I want:
- 6". I tried the H2O and while it was nice, I prefer the portability and lighter weight of the 6".
- 300 PPI.

After some research, I've nailed it down to the Kobo Glo HD vs. PW3. I threw in the Aura 2nd edition there as another 6" contender, but it has a lower screen resolution.

Eco-system:
Doesn't really matter to me. I'd most likely be using the Amazon ecosystem still whichever one I get. I will be utilizing Calibre to sideload books from other sources regardless. As a Canadian, while it would be more convenient with a Kobo to borrow books, it's still possible with the Kindle, albeit an extra step which I don't mind at all.

Build:
I seem to like the glo HD over the PW3, because it's smaller and slightly lighter. Why did the PW3 have such a thick top and bottom bezel I do not understand. The screen also appears to be slightly nicer on the glo HD from what I've read.

Price:
I'm looking to make this purchase on Black Friday. In Canada, both are 140$. Since the Kobo Glo HD is a discontinued product, it's becoming harder to find, and I don't think it will go on sale in the few stores I still found it in (you'd have to wait for it to go on clearance instead). On the other hand, PW3 has a really high probability of going on sale. From this perspective, PW3 will win.

Software:
I do like the how much you can customize the Kobo, although with no eReader experience, I'm not sure how much this really matters to me right at this moment. I do like the bonus stats from the Kobo, while easily being able to look up words on the kindle is nice. A toss-up I suppose.

These two devices are pretty damn similar. After getting some thoughts down, I suppose I lean toward the glo HD more in terms of overall usage, but in terms of value (expecting a sale), PW3 would win.

Thanks for the opinions!
s97thli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 09:10 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
My opinion is that you really can't go wrong with either. Like most modern eInk devices they generally all "just work" when it comes to reading.

Another difference I didn't see you mention is the type of touch screen. The Glo HD is IR while the PW3 is Capacitive. If that makes any difference for you. Some folks who do a lot of highlighting & stuff fine IR less accurate.

If I personally was choosing for myself I'd get the Kobo. I've had both Kindle's & Kobo's and find I like the extra adjustments I can easily make on the Kobo (line spacing, margins, fonts, etc.). I do find that I dislike the Kobo's home screen and wish it could be eliminated in favor of the library screen (maybe there's a hack for that).

Good luck
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2016, 10:42 PM   #3
Silverty
Connoisseur
Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura H2O2
I am having the exact same dilemma. I've wondered if I should upgrade to a pw3 or a voyage during black Friday or just keep my old kobo glo. I wonder what the black Friday deal was in the past for kindles.
Silverty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 11:21 PM   #4
s97thli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverty View Post
I am having the exact same dilemma. I've wondered if I should upgrade to a pw3 or a voyage during black Friday or just keep my old kobo glo. I wonder what the black Friday deal was in the past for kindles.
I did some quick research recently and it seemed like the typical discount will be 20$ - that's on amazon.com. Hopefully it's 30$ off on amazon.ca !

I do see myself buying a glo HD if it wasn't discontinued, unfortunately a PW3 on sale does beat out a discontinued product..

Edit: https://www.cnet.com/news/amazon-ann...mazon-devices/
Confirmed 20$ off for this year! (US)

Last edited by s97thli; 11-11-2016 at 11:30 PM.
Old 11-11-2016, 11:28 PM   #5
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by s97thli View Post
I do see myself buying a glo HD if it wasn't discontinued, unfortunately a PW3 on sale does beat out a discontinued product..
No reason to not get a Glo HD just because it's discontinued (assuming you can find it). It was a well liked reader and speculation is Kobo didn't make enough margin on (too good of reader for its price) so they discontinued it. Kobo has a history of supporting and updating the firmware even on their old models (not quite back to the very 1st one they made, but almost).
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2016, 11:31 PM   #6
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Do you care about borrowing library ebooks? I don't think there is any system outside of the USA that lends Kindle books.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 11:40 PM   #7
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
I suggest you go to Each Forum & see which has the Most complaints. Most Problems.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 11:46 PM   #8
s97thli

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Do you care about borrowing library ebooks? I don't think there is any system outside of the USA that lends Kindle books.
Based on my research, it doesn't matter. People just download the borrowed book, De-drm, and convert it through Calibre for Kindle. (Although people should delete it after they're done borrowing for morality reasons).
Old 11-12-2016, 02:14 AM   #9
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Based on my research, it doesn't matter. People just download the borrowed book, De-drm, and convert it through Calibre for Kindle. (Although people should delete it after they're done borrowing for morality reasons).
That is piracy, and is not supported in this forum or by those who make the tools concerned.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 05:29 AM   #10
Silverty
Connoisseur
Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura H2O2
Quote:
I did some quick research recently and it seemed like the typical discount will be 20$ - that's on amazon.com. Hopefully it's 30$ off on amazon.ca !

Is that for Canada? Because I need it for amazon.ca. Pretty tempting for sure. I would like to try the Amazon ecosystem but the library thing is a bit of a bother which I'm not sure I want to deal with...
Silverty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 10:06 AM   #11
s97thli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverty View Post
Is that for Canada? Because I need it for amazon.ca. Pretty tempting for sure. I would like to try the Amazon ecosystem but the library thing is a bit of a bother which I'm not sure I want to deal with...
US. I'm assuming Canada will have something similar.
Old 11-12-2016, 12:41 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I'm looking to purchase my first eReader.

What I want:
- 6". I tried the H2O and while it was nice, I prefer the portability and lighter weight of the 6".
The PW3 is only .98oz lighter than the H2O. So really unless .98oz is a deal breaker, I would recommend the H2O. Granted that the Glo HD is lighter than both the H2O and the PW3. But if you are unable to find the Glo HD, the H2O would do very well.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 01:00 PM   #13
s97thli

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The PW3 is only .98oz lighter than the H2O. So really unless .98oz is a deal breaker, I would recommend the H2O. Granted that the Glo HD is lighter than both the H2O and the PW3. But if you are unable to find the Glo HD, the H2O would do very well.

It's more of the size, not the weight, sorry that I didn't make that clear
Old 11-12-2016, 01:22 PM   #14
liandera
liandera began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, Kobo Glo HD
I just got a Glo HD and I love it. I had borrowed my dad's new PW3 before making a decision but it was quite a bit heavier, and honestly the ads annoyed me too. On top of that I do like the option of using the library (and am really hoping that they add the overdrive feature to all of the devices in the future like they did the Aura One).

That said, if you don't care about weight, library use or ads, then you might as well go for the PW3 since there most definitely will be a sale. I highly doubt the Glo HD will ever go on sale. Almost everywhere I looked here they were just out of stock, until I came across a small store that had a couple left. A Black Friday sale was originally also why I was considering an Aura Edition 2, but the Glo HD is so much better that I just shelled out the full price for it, and couldn't be happier.
liandera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 01:29 PM   #15
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
$20 off is nothing to sneeze at, but it feels a bit chintzy for a Black Friday deal. I wouldn't be surprised to see unannounced but larger discounts on the day.

As for Kindle vs. Kobo, I prefer the openness of Kobo. But really you aren't going to go wrong with either as a first reader. You are already using Calibre to free you up from the dreaded device-based 'ecosystem', which is otherwise one of the biggest distinguishers between devices. All else being equal, you could probably pick the one that is cheaper and be happy with your choice.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 11-12-2016 at 01:34 PM.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote