Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 01-24-2011, 03:27 PM   #1
lhgrappler
lhgrappler began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Pocket Reader
Making certain pages a fixed size?

Is it possible to make certain epub pages fixed size- NOT effected by font size user picks on their reader?

I've got a Sony Pocket reader I'm loading tons of books onto for my kids, and they usually use the largest font size. The problem is that this makes all the front matter pages huge & ugly and that it's a lot to flip through before getting to the actual meat of the book.

I'm using the latest version of Sigil & couldn't find anything on how to do this on their website.

Thanks
lhgrappler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 04:12 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
You can make as many class types as you want

body.fm to set the body for the Front matter pages
<body class="fm">
or a paragraph class with a different font size

K.I.S.S. in style sheets is good Many IMHO do it backwards.

Set the most used style attributes in the Body (font size, face.

Set the paragraph most used( Margins, indent justification...)

Now set the exceptions (bold, italic, no-indent...)

if done right, most paragraphs would be a simple <p>
A first Paragraph would be an exception <p class="first">

.first style simply sets the margin-left to 0. all the rest is inherited from the p settings
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2011, 05:04 PM   #3
lhgrappler
lhgrappler began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Pocket Reader
Thanks - I have only basic html tags experience. So, if you can explain that in greater detail I'd really appreciate it.
lhgrappler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 05:09 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
You can make as many class types as you want

body.fm to set the body for the Front matter pages
<body class="fm">
or a paragraph class with a different font size

K.I.S.S. in style sheets is good Many IMHO do it backwards.

Set the most used style attributes in the Body (font size, face.

Set the paragraph most used( Margins, indent justification...)

Now set the exceptions (bold, italic, no-indent...)

if done right, most paragraphs would be a simple <p>
A first Paragraph would be an exception <p class="first">

.first style simply sets the margin-left to 0. all the rest is inherited from the p settings
What has any of that to do with making the text a fixed size?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 05:10 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
To make the text a fixed size, set the font sizes in CSS using pt (points). I'm not 100% sure, but mostly sure that that will work to keep the font size from being able to be changes.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2011, 09:07 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What has any of that to do with making the text a fixed size?
Until you have a separate style for SOME pages
Any change effects ALL pages
Since there is more chapter usage, I would create a new style for the front matter
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 11:11 AM   #7
bobcdy
Fanatic
bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: bebook; prs-950; nook simple touch; HTC Jetstream tablet
I downloaded your epub and looked at it with Sigil. It's a Proj. Gut. epub and some of your problems would be minimized by simply deleting all the stuff about PG from the front (and end) of the epub. You could then delete the cover image. All this is pretty simple and doesn't really need much mark-up skill. You could save the result with a different name so to preserve the original epub.
bobcdy is offline   Reply With Quote